• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am i in for a transmission rebuild?

I was replacing the water pump today which took 4-5 hours so i had no real time for the transmission.
But watch the 2 videos below that i made of the kickdown linkage.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Its pretty loose.
And this is just the top end. the guy i was talking about noticed it being loose on the underside when the car was on a lift.
I had no chance to check on that so far.

But the engine responds great to throttle input.

I just squirted a little gas in the barrels and charged the battery and it started right up after sitting all winter aswell. :D
I really like this car. It's got some problems (which the pre purchase inspector missed to tell me about) that need to be adressed but its a great/solid base.

IMG_1328.jpg

When you open the throttle all the way manually at the carb, the the kickdown should be tight to the stud the throttle cable attaches to as possible.

Your return spring for the kickdown should pull the linkage reasonably tight (no gap) to the stud when at idle.

Did you guys watch the videos from my last post?
Does this look normal? I was flooring the gas pedal in one of the 2 videos and recorded what happened with the linkage.

When you open the throttle all the way manually at the carb, the the kickdown should be tight to the stud the throttle cable attaches to as possible.

Your return spring for the kickdown should pull the linkage reasonably tight (no gap) to the stud when at idle.

Did you guys watch the videos from my last post?
Does this look normal? I was flooring the gas pedal in one of the 2 videos and recorded what happened with the linkage.
Saw video.
Did you read what YY1 said to do?

That was an expensive lesson for me to learn, but reasonably easy to not repeat.

That was an expensive lesson for me to learn, but reasonably easy to not repeat.

I'm sorry i just thought you might have overlooked the videos since neither you or somebody else said anything to them.
I will continue to look at the transmission issue tomorrow.

I'm sorry i just thought you might have overlooked the videos since neither you or somebody else said anything to them.
I will continue to look at the transmission issue tomorrow.
I can't see the vidieos, they don't open.

My computer calls this a Malicious website.

Mine doesn't but im using an adblock plugin called "uBlock origin" and no third party anti virus software.

If someone knows a better website where i can upload videos without an account let me know.

Mine doesn't but im using an adblock plugin called "uBlock origin" and no third party anti virus software.

If someone knows a better website where i can upload videos without an account let me know.
I use Norton. No idea what other website.

I use Norton. No idea what other website.

So Norton says the site is a virus? Probably a false positive report.

Anyway i uploaded it again on zippyshare which i know for 100% is legit since i use that site for years.
Unfortunately you need to download the videos because they do not offer streaming services.

So Norton says the site is a virus? Probably a false positive report.

Anyway i uploaded it again on zippyshare which i know for 100% is legit since i use that site for years.
Unfortunately you need to download the videos because they do not offer streaming services.

Well, I can't give you any advice.

If i recall correctly i already checked the fluid level last year. (Already had the problem back then)
But of course this will be the first thing i check. I highly doubt its just low on fluid, though.
Doing a fluid and filter change and if this doesn't help adding some lucas transmission fix will probably be my next steps.

I'm interested if there could be a problem with the linkage(s) or something?
Something i should look out for?
Also, I've had lube guard work miracles, some manufacturers use it

It’s called throttle pressure linkage and it is critical for the trans to know where your foot is on the gas pedal. It increases the internal pressure as the load increases. 200-300 miles without it is enough to ruin the trans.

#1 problem in the video is common on a 727/904. When it sits for week or more when it starts put it in neutral before you choose D or R to move the car so it can circulate the fluid.

And are you checking the fluid in neutral? That is how you do it. Read thsee instructions on the dipstick, owners manual, and service manual.

No offense meant here. but with all the problems you have with this car you should take a class on auto mechanics. Oold cars don’t seem to get along with you very well so far. But this can change With experience and education.

No offense meant here. but with all the problems you have with this car you should take a class on auto mechanics. Oold cars don’t seem to get along with you very well so far. But this can change With experience and education.
I think this might a little over the top, it comes down to a basic oil level checking and top up if required.
Next thing is to ensure the throttle linkage is set up and properly adjusted, which is described in the manual, suggestions from here or can be seen on You tube.
All required is some feedback from OP on these things so we can assist in some further troubleshooting.

I basically started working on cars myself because we paid thousands to mechanics but still had problem after problem.
So far i was able to get all the needed information from youtube, forums, the internet in general and also my dad helping me out.
By now i know a thing or two about these cars but still: Every repair i do right now, i do for the first time basically.

It would be very helpful to have someone experienced working on these cars helping me that also has space, even more tools and ideally a lift.
(So i would not have to spend so much time doing research / asking questions.)
Unfortunately i do not have someone like this at the moment.
But i also wasn't actively looking ever since i decided to avoid commercial shops and do it myself.

There are lots of people offering to work on these cars where i live.
The problem is i would need someone with the same mindset as i have.
I want this car done right. No matter if it takes months to get the correct part or is 10 times harder to do it the right way.

I think this car is special so i do not want to pay for getting it messed up.
I won't allow anyone to work on it without me being present.
But the odds of finding a guy like uncle tony in my area aren't all that great i guess.

I agree, in Europe it is not easy to find a place where they know about these classic cars.
Even a lot of normal garages servicing modern cars seem to have issues a lot with no knowledgeable people, high bills and no fix. (don't get me started on Kwik-Fit)
I do all repairs and replacements myself and just bring the car to the garage for the yearly mandatory inspection, if something is coming up they let me know so I can fix it for the next time.

Where are you now on throttle linkage adjustment? Did you do any check or make adjustment?
Did you check the oil level at operating temperature with the transmission in Neutral?

I agree, in Europe it is not easy to find a place where they know about these classic cars.
Even a lot of normal garages servicing modern cars seem to have issues a lot with no knowledgeable people, high bills and no fix. (don't get me started on Kwik-Fit)
I do all repairs and replacements myself and just bring the car to the garage for the yearly mandatory inspection, if something is coming up they let me know so I can fix it for the next time.

Where are you now on throttle linkage adjustment? Did you do any check or make adjustment?
Did you check the oil level at operating temperature with the transmission in Neutral?

I'm currently working on another problem (waiting on parts) and if i get really lucky its not the transmission but the engine mounts instead

Auto Transport Service
Back