• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I the Only One (that changes spark plug gaskets)

Dibbons

Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
I used to run one set of spark plugs cruising Main St. and another set at the drag strip. During the switch, I would install new spark plug gaskets which made it easier to guess the proper torque while tightening while feeling the gasket compress a little bit. Did not hurt sealing either.

This week I pulled the plugs in my small block Mopar equipped with Champion RN14YC. However, when I went to remove the gaskets, they would not budge, just kept spinning around. Something must have changed since the last time I tried this. Might have to cut 'em off somehow.

spark plug gaskets.JPG

Should be able to get it started with a little pressure from small screwdriver, then "unscrew" it.

I thought the gaskets used to have 3 or 4 ridges that would serve to contact the threads? That's what I remember anyway. The gaskets on these plugs are just round all the way around so they don't grab the threads, just spin. The good thing is that I have never seen spark plugs easier to change than on a Mopar LA motor.

Update: I just inspected my package of new spark plug gaskets using a magnifying glass. I can see the inside of the gasket has four tiny tabs that serve to contact the threads and permit spinning them on and off.

Last edited:
Try my suggestion from post#2. I seldom changed them but that's how I did it.

People normally not do put the old plugs back in. The gasket is a single use disposable. New ones come with the new plugs. Always use them with factory heads.

With only 2000 mile on the plugs, they are as good as new. There are also times when plug "reading" is used for inspection, tuning, and carb jet changes, etc.

Not typical driving conditions. The factory plugs were for the average daily driver. How many people "read" their plugs ? In the old days, plugs were on average a buck a piece. They make the gaskets for "non average" driver.

OK, the supplied/installed gaskets on the Champion plugs are perfectly round on the inside diameter which means impossible to thread them on or off. The just spin and trying to start to pry them off with a tool is not a viable option. The replacement gaskets do have the four mini-tabs that provide for threading (you have to look real close in the foto to see them).

spark plub gasket compare.JPG

As I always said , can't pull to side of road at 3000ft

I used to run one set of spark plugs cruising Main St. and another set at the drag strip. During the switch, I would install new spark plug gaskets which made it easier to guess the proper torque while tightening while feeling the gasket compress a little bit. Did not hurt sealing either.

This week I pulled the plugs in my small block Mopar equipped with Champion RN14YC. However, when I went to remove the gaskets, they would not budge, just kept spinning around. Something must have changed since the last time I tried this. Might have to cut 'em off somehow.

View attachment 1001086
Well your first problem is that you used Champion plugs. I have used Autolite or NGK for decades. Have reused gaskets many times with no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back