• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Overdrive unit

BIGGREGG

Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
I won a American Overdrive A01-1 on ebay it looks like a Gear Vender unit so I grab it. The unit fits behind a 727 TF. They were built in Redding CA. So if anyone has any information on this unit it would help a lot. manual, wiring diagram or anything. Thanks,
14899165263691789038482.jpg
Bigg Regg

That is upside down. It also looks like it may have been used in a right hand drive car, maybe a Jensen Interceptor? The bottom looks nothing like a GV, The GV has a flat "pan" similar to a 904 or 727 with retaining bolts.

Those sending units visible on the near side will cause interference problems in a car. They might clear a truck. The driveline tunnel where that OD unit needs to be is narrow. The GV has nothing there to interfere except the girth of the actual case.
I live south of Redding and had friends that live there. We are Mopar guys and have never heard of this company.
Sounds odd but who knows....You may have stumbled onto something cool.

If it's anything like a gear vendors then the only wiring you actually need is the solenoid should have a + and - to trigger the unit. All you really have to do is wire in a relay to switch on positive power and hold that power until you click the button again to kill power and disengage the unit.

So you would just need an off/on switch/button, a relay, and the wiring down to the unit.

Now you probably want to incorporate a light to show when it's engaged because anything under 20MPH can damage the unit, and also the unit engaged while in reverse will also damage it. The "control box" will get a speed reading from your speedo and do this on it's own, so you'd have to be careful.

I've heard of them, but don't know much more. If it's a laylock setup then it's basically a gear vendor.

The unit is big. It's making me second guess using it. Looks like it would be better off in a truck. Although I haven't gotten to the point of my project that I need it yet. That means I haven't taken any measurement. Hard to find info.

Auto Transport Service
Back