• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American racing wheels question ..is this a good deal? Will they fit ?

A 10" wheel with 4" backspacing isn't going to fit in any stock Mopar wheelhouse.

The drawing below (not to scale) depicts a 69 B-body Plymouth rear end "stock" measurements. The wheel tire combo is a 10" wheel (11" outside to outside) with 5-1/2" backspacing. The tire is what would normally be installed on a 10" wheel so it has roughly a 13" cross section. With a stock rear axle width that wheel/tire combo will BARELY fit. Note that the springs are not shown - these "may" have to be moved inboard.

Scan.jpg

I bought the above wheels from a guy who had them on a stock Charger (68-70). As best as I could tell the rear end was untouched and he was using wheel spacers - probably 1/2". Chargers are considerably wider than Plymouths

so whats the widest I can go on a 72 charger ?, based on a 4.5 backspace ?

71-74 has WAY more rear wheel room.

WAY more.

My 72 had 15x8 on the back when I got it but I don't remember the backspace.

8-8.5 is still probably it if you lock in the 4.5" backspace. 10" with more backspace probably works. I haven't tried on my 72 to lend direct experience

1 take wheel off
2 put straight edge on drum face
3 measure inner and outer clearance
4 drink beer in celebration of conquering wheel size dilemma

The original pic are Torq Thrust D's. 15x7 only come with 3.76 BS, 15x10 only comes with 3.77 BS.

Slightly different wheels, I have a/r 15x8 with 255/70/R15 on all 4 corners with plenty of room on my 74 Charger.

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0869.jpeg

DSCF9006.jpeg

DSCF9007.jpeg

I have a pair of 15x10 torque thrusts, one piece. They came off a Chevy pickup truck, and that's about all they will fit. Not near enough backspace. (Wanna say 3 1/2-3 3/4, 200 miles away, can't check). Those rears look to be the same casting.
But! 72 charger has huge open, full round wheelwells. If those tens fit anything, I think a gen 3 charger has as good a chance as any. The sevens will be fine on the front. A 8 or 8 1/2 with 4.5 b.s. will fit MUCH better on the back.... but you may have to go to a two piece tt2 to get it.

An 8 or 8 1/2 with 4 1/2 backspace works well on almost any Mopar (exception- 66/67 b-body) and should fall on a 72 charger.
A 10" rim (really eleven inches wide, you know!) should have 5 1/2 b.s. to likely fit properly. In my humble opinion, too much backspace is FAR more desirable than too little. Spacers can solve the one problem, nothing can solve the other.

Note to Plymouth guys-

Dodge has more generous rear wheel wells than Plymouth for both the 68-70 and the 71-74 body styles.
...and the 71-74 body has a lot more room than the 58-70, as noted above.
Comparing a 68-70 Plymouth to a 71-74 Dodge is worse than apples to oranges.

My 70 Dodge had 15x10 on the back with a deep dish, although I never measured the backspace.

With a 71-74 Dodge you can almost run any width you want- simply look the pics of them.
The shape of the arch and the high cut into the quarter allow that.
As long as your springs and sway bar won't let the almost perfectly round wheel arch down on the tire.

Auto Transport Service
Back