• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

amp meter to volt meter conversion

I bought the same volt meter to try out in my 1970 rallye dash. Thanks for the tips, Propwash.

-=Photon440=-

I like the idea, thanks propwash for the step by step.

Here is my attempt: Got the gauge at a swap meet for $5:

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

Luckily i have a spare gauge cluster to experiment with...

Here is what it looks like at 12.5 V, i figure this way, if it drops below the line, it is NOT charging, regardless of what the alt puts out (tuff stuff 100A)

IMAG0181.jpg

and with the cover on (no power):

IMAG0179.jpg

i need to do the heat shrink wrap and some other stuff to isolate the studs from the housing.'

Question: i have what looks like a voltage reducer, can i just jump the old wires on the + stud of that (and that way i still have the 5v out)?

Genius post! Thanks.
What was the reason for changing the gauge needle on the new volt meter?
Tom

Genius post! Thanks.
What was the reason for changing the gauge needle on the new volt meter?
Tom

Tom, it's to retain the factory look. It's a cosmetic thing. The sunpro voltmeter (that I used anyways) had a shorter/fatter needle.

Wow, this thread was a great read for me. Thanks to all who contributed. I know I'll be converting mine in the next few weeks.

Also, I'll be ordering from the MAD electrical as well. Looks like really good quality stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back