• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amp meter

yeap, but is interesting how 71 and 73 diagrams shows somehow diff ways to make it.

73 with the splice into the R6A line to still going throught the bulkhead ( with a fulse link too ) to feed the main splice ( edited diagram to show that ), while 71 diagram is more "simple" and a bit of lack of info on diagram

View attachment 1355000

View attachment 1355001
As mentioned, it refers the factory bulkhead by-pass, commonly referred to as the factory “Fleet” by-pass as it is mostly found in fleet production (Police/Taxi) with a high output factory alternator. The matching engine compartment diagram is on page 8-128 in the ’73 Dodge manual. The original dash harness ammeter leads were to be cut and taped off with the factory by-pass. By the mid to late seventies the factory was quite aware of the weakness in the charging system design at the bulkhead connector. Especially on C-bodies (there were bulkhead by-pass recalls) and other high optioned cars running more electrical loads.

Agreed, plenty of discussions about the ammeter/charging systems here, do a search.
View attachment 1354939
I’m going to modify my harness to delete the questionable bulkhead connections. Everything looks pretty straightforward,
Remove A1B-16DBL, increase wire size from alternator to 8 gage etc, but my only question is, does pin 18 share R6-12BK, which will now be called R6-8BK, with the new R6C-12BK. Can the connection be made anywhere before the fusible link?
Do you know anyone that’s done this?
Please forgive my ignorance with schematics, might as well be trying to read Japanese!
Thanks, in advance for any help you might have.

Is related to the wiring bypassing the bulkhead and going through the firewall with a grommet and more resistant terminals attached to the wiring than the Packard 56/58 terminals the bulkhead got, not the gauge itself

12 gauge wire os the regular size used with standard alts going through the bulkhead.

heavy duty alts used 10 gauge going through the firewall. Diagrams shows those too on discontinued line through the diagram.

there are several ways to make the same job though. This has been discussed several times lately. Sometimes being hardcore discussions.
Right. It seems to be a very "hot" topic. Ha, ha.

Auto Transport Service
Back