• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An interesting 67 Charger

Chrysler must have punched out dashframe blanks for conversion. The gauge bezel has been cut and refitted. Must be quite a bit of customization during the retrofit.
Nowadays, I think a new ram converted down there is like 150-200 grand lol. A buddy was just there last winter, can't remember exactly.
Maybe @kiwigtx has insight on old conversions

Chrysler must have punched out dashframe blanks for conversion. The gauge bezel has been cut and refitted. Must be quite a bit of customization during the retrofit.
Nowadays, I think a new ram converted down there is like 150-200 grand lol. A buddy was just there last winter, can't remember exactly.
Maybe @kiwigtx has insight on old conversions
There have been many cars converted over the years by small shops. Some are good, and some are hideous. I have seen a chain drive steering set-up on an old Pontiac. I can't imagine how usafe that must be.

Nowadays, there are more new cars coming here already RHD - Camaro & Mustang.....more will follow. Chrysler is renowned for not producing RHD in their 'muscle car' type vehicles. With few exceptions.
I'm picking that this '67 Charger was a backyard conversion, done by an enthusiastic car owner ...or a friend.

Yeah, but think some were curious on the gauges. How installed.
Wiring is easy to alter, cables can be made, or swapped out for longer equivalents.
I learned many years ago that the factory piece may not exist, but there is someone out there making exactly the part you need. It comes down to how resourceful you are at finding these equivalent parts.

Occasionally I still see a chain drive wheel on a rural postal carrier vehicle.

Some are fairly new.

Wiring is easy to alter, cables can be made, or swapped out for longer equivalents.
I learned many years ago that the factory piece may not exist, but there is someone out there making exactly the part you need. It comes down to how resourceful you are at finding these equivalent parts.
Yes but the original dash frame, was it used or replaced since the gauges require extra cut-outs? That may be the question needing an answer.

Yes but the original dash frame, was it used or replaced since the gauges require extra cut-outs? That may be the question needing an answer.
1706730611346.png

I agree it's a purpose made RHD dash frame from chrysler. Also agree; it was likely for coronet, and up to the ender user to modify the gauge openings for a Charger cluster.

This conversion was not performed in NZ but here in America prior to shipment. I just confirmed with prior owner of vehicle who sold it 25 years back to buy a house. He noted the Triumph washer bottle that he installed and still has the other NZ license plate in his basement. Small world!

It is kind of like vegemite, and acquired taste. So shifting with the left is an acquired ability.

I drove console shift postal jeeps for 4 years.

Took about a day to get used to it.

Not a big deal.

Might take 2 days if it's not automatic.

Getting used to the heavy sliding door that could take a finger off was a bigger deal and took longer.

Auto Transport Service
Back