• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Out Of Mind Demographic

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:23 PM
Reaction score
A trip to the grocery store today for
those last minute items for that long
traditional Thanksgiving Dinner.
Lots of family and friends invited.
My son and I decide on taking Dottie
for the run. Kind of ironic as she's got
zero space in the bed for hauling
anything.
I'm in awe as there were five different
older women acknowledge the efforts
put forth on the resurrection of a 84
year old pickup. (Be it a Plymouth).
I found myself wondering what their
past experiences were and past
memories tied to such an old piece
of sheetmetal. Two in the parking lot,
and three in the store.
Could it be they stood up in that seat
next to dad when he made his trips to
town? Or a boyfriend driving the only
thing he could afford?
I did not expect this reaction from
this demographic, instead thinking
I'd get most reactions from the hot
rod bunch. It caught me totally by
surprise. Not unhappy with the
reactions at all.
All in 1 hour.
(edited)

Last edited:
Male or female, a nice ride is a nice ride.
Thanks for sharing.
You're more than welcome. Thanks
for the reply.
I think part of the reaction has to do
with where we reside.
84 years ago a pickup was considered
a tool of the ranch with rarely any
seeing street duty.
(edited)

Last edited:
Well then, how about pictures of that 84 year old Plymouth.
I think you've seen 'em, but happy to
post again. Happy Thanksgiving
Richard!
20230411_192922.jpg

I get just as many, if not MORE, reactions from women for my plain stock Cordoba than my musclecars.

Fantasy Island, yes. I'll leave research on the little guy to someone else.

Last edited:
looks a little like epstein, he has an island.... hmmmm, just sayin

Last edited:
Yep...
Always wondered what happened
with Tatoo...didn't see much of him
after Fantasy Island.
Probably needed a booster seat in
that Cordoba....:rofl:
Hervé Villechaize took his own life thirty years ago. I thought he did a good acting job in the Henry Winkler movie 'The One and Only'.

Hervé Villechaize took his own life thirty years ago. I thought he did a good acting job in the Henry Winkler movie 'The One and Only'.
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the
info. Going to do some reading.

A trip to the grocery store today for
those last minute items for that long
traditional Thanksgiving Dinner.
Lots of family and friends invited.
My son and I decide on taking Dottie
for the run. Kind of ironic as she's got
zero space in the bed for hauling
anything.
I'm in awe as there were five different
older women acknowledge the efforts
put forth on the resurrection of a 84
year old pickup. (Be it a Plymouth).
I found myself wondering what their
past experiences were and past
memories tied to such an old piece
of sheetmetal. Two in the parking lot,
and three in the store.
Could it be they stood up in that seat
next to dad when he made his trips to
town? Or a boyfriend driving the only
thing he could afford?
I did not expect this reaction from
this demographic, instead thinking
I'd get most reactions from the hot
rod bunch. It caught me totally by
surprise. Not unhappy with the
reactions at all.
All in 1 hour.
(edited)
Interesting... so I'm not the only one that happens to.

I have been surprised these last few years at the number of older women - I'm talking probably 70 and up - who like and comment on the Belvedere. Have had several, including just last weekend; sitting at a stoplight, there was an older woman - mid 80s at least - who honked at me. I heard the noise and looked in that direction as she rolled her window down and hollered over "Love your car!'' I smiled, yelled 'thank you', and as she began to say something else, the light turned. She looked forward, looked back at me, laughed, threw a thumbs up out the window and took off. Made my day.

I too wondered about the connection.

She has not been the only one either. Like the OP, I had two older ladies approach me in, ironically, a grocery store parking lot , to tell me how much they liked my car and ask a couple of questions about it. They repeated how much they liked it, said its too bad they don't make em like that anymore, wished me a good day and went on about their business.

Ya know, I'm not surprised when some guy my age or older comes up at the gas station and wants to talk - usually to tell me about his friend in High School who had one just like mine except it was a 383 Hemi with a Six pack on it... that would pull the front wheels every day leaving the parking lot, but the number of females that notice the car is interesting. Is it just because it stands out amongst the amorphous blobs of visual pollutants known as modern vehicles, or is there some 'connection' , some memory or memories of days gone by and happier times? I don't know, but it sure makes me smile.

I have been surprised these last few years at the number of older women - I'm talking probably 70 and up - who like and comment on the Belvedere. Have had several, including just last weekend; sitting at a stoplight, there was an older woman - mid 80s at least - who honked at me. I heard the noise and looked in that direction as she rolled her window down and hollered over "Love your car!'' I smiled, yelled 'thank you', and as she began to say something else, the light turned. She looked forward, looked back at me, laughed, threw a thumbs up out the window and took off. Made my day.
The same thing used to happen to me on a regular basis during the five years I owned GTX number five. The pewter interior always came up in the conversation, never anything about the car's performance. I think these vehicles appeal to this demographic because they possess an aesthetic that these women associate with their prime of life, and sure doesn't exist in today's world of committee designed transportation appliances. I find the converse true for me as well, I find well preserved women in their 70s and 80s more attractive than the younger versions.
IMG_2278.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back