• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN6 to standard rubber fuel line

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
I am needing to attach a rubber fuel line to an AN6 braided line but cannot find any good way to do this. I purchased a nipple (see photo) but the male connector isn't really AN6. Anyone know how to do this?

I have braided lines from the three carbs but need to connect to either the fuel line (nipple) or eventually to the vapor canister (also nipple) I know I can get an AN6 fuel filter, but there is only one source for the vapor separation canister on a 440 and it has nipples.

IMG_6689.JPG
IMG_6690.JPG

The AN sizes fittings (-4 =1/4", -6 =3/8", etc) are also known as JIC or Triple Lock fittings.
I use them a lot at work for hydraulic systems, the smaller size steel fittings go up to 6000 PSI work pressure.
The thread is BSP Parallel so a BSP Taper (or NPT) will thread in till a certain extend but the fitment is wrong and will not seal off. (like the hose and fitting you showed)
The dash fitting needs the taper cone to create a sealing surface, the thread is just for connecting and securing.
As above shown already, find a Male AN fitting to hose barb in the size you need.

Threaded fittings like BSP Parallel or Metric threads always use a seal/gasket or O-ring for sealing, indicated by a designation like ORB (O-Ring Boss) or ORSF (O-Ring Sealing Face) but are commonly not seen for non-industrial purposes. (general industrial fittings go by work pressures of 1500-3000 psi, not for cars)
Most AN fittings have a 37 deg cone to create a metal to metal sealing face on this taper section, other brands might use different angles as well.
BSP Taper (NPT), requires to be installed with a type of thread sealant like teflon tape or thread sealant to create a positive seal between the threads.

The AN sizes fittings (-4 =1/4", -6 =3/8", etc) are also known as JIC or Triple Lock fittings.
I use them a lot at work for hydraulic systems, the smaller size steel fittings go up to 6000 PSI work pressure.
The thread is BSP Parallel so a BSP Taper (or NPT) will thread in till a certain extend but the fitment is wrong and will not seal off. (like the hose and fitting you showed)
The dash fitting needs the taper cone to create a sealing surface, the thread is just for connecting and securing.
As above shown already, find a Male AN fitting to hose barb in the size you need.

Threaded fittings like BSP Parallel or Metric threads always use a seal/gasket or O-ring for sealing, indicated by a designation like ORB (O-Ring Boss) or ORSF (O-Ring Sealing Face) but are commonly not seen for non-industrial purposes. (general industrial fittings go by work pressures of 1500-3000 psi, not for cars)
Most AN fittings have a 37 deg cone to create a metal to metal sealing face on this taper section, other brands might use different angles as well.
BSP Taper (NPT), requires to be installed with a type of thread sealant like teflon tape or thread sealant to create a positive seal between the threads.

Thank you Bob Renton! :lol:

Thank you Bob Renton!
Damnit.... call me Rob then.
I can't help it with thread fittings, so many times at work i see a mis match of fittings raped together somehow and it makes my blood boil, so I have to say something! :)

look at

Auto Transport Service
Back