• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And I thought this guy was a hot rodder…

I don't expect much from a "clone" and I'm okay with whatever wrong parts on one. What I don't like is bondo slathered over rust covered by shiny paint. Anybody that would pay $33k for this car earns his money with his mouth not his hands and back.

I have never understood the clone or tribute cars. When someone who actually cares (a car guy) asks you, 'Is that a real Super Bee/GTO/SS/Whatever?', how do you answer? Do you say yes and he has been fooled, or not, and you're a liar, or do you say no, in which case what was the point in the 1st place? They might fool people you don't know or have any contact with, who see it drive by or sitting somewhere, but again, who gives a rat's *** what strangers think?

I don't have a problem with this - it's just not for me.

I have never understood the clone or tribute cars. When someone who actually cares (a car guy) asks you, 'Is that a real Super Bee/GTO/SS/Whatever?', how do you answer? Do you say yes and he has been fooled, or not, and you're a liar, or do you say no, in which case what was the point in the 1st place? They might fool people you don't know or have any contact with, who see it drive by or sitting somewhere, but again, who gives a rat's *** what strangers think?

I don't have a problem with this - it's just not for me.
I’ve ridden this thing all over the place. And 99% of people that comment on it just look at it for what it is. The 1% question it’s authenticity are Schwinn guys. They say if it’s been repainted, you can no longer verify it as an original Krate. It’s a February’68 frame, and all the parts date to ‘67 or ‘68. At the end of the day, whether something is original or not only matters when you are buying or selling. And as far as Mopars… just look in the drivers side windshield.
5016C328-B5F1-4148-A669-D6AA3D16AA07.jpeg

Back when, I had a few ‘the real thing’ muscle cars. When my dad and I restored my mother’s ’72 Cutlass vert (after some years handed around the family and seriously rusted) soon after we bought our first house and had our 1st young-un, wife’s ’66 T-Bird vert and my Vette were sold as part of house down payment. Lol, loan at 18% interest.

Don’t recall all that I did to collect the massive amount of parts for it, many of them NOS, but after the resto, only original body part left on the car was the hood. Got lucky on some parts finding a guy who had a ton of NOS parts he wanted gone. My first deal to make this car something more to my liking, adding a bunch of 442 features, though not badging it as one.

Today? While I could swing for a ride costing around six-figures, like the ’70 BB/4sp Cuda vert I traded in for around a grand, can’t bring myself to fork out that kind of cash. Lol, yeah find a Cuda, a real one, for 100 grand. Maybe old wounds selling the real rides I had eons ago.

Looked at a cloned Challenger a few years ago. Hmm, looked very nicely done – only 70-grand! I’ll stay somewhat comforted about what I used to have back when and stick with my ’63 I put a ton of BST’s and cash in over the 25 years I’ve had it.

Only an unsuspecting rube would pay that much for a car with no pedigree and so many obvious flaws. Like UT said, it’s a $6K car at best…

i did a clone-ish. i liked the stripe kit the real car had but i left out the lettering the real car had. put all the good stuff but didn't try and fake it.
build to taste. do i want my dads 67 GTX?? hell ya .. will i ever?? no. so why not build one like it. long as ya not trying to pass it of as real
some stuff needs to be correct to the letter like my SC.. but i got one just like it i drive with a 199 ci and air cooled auto. have fun with ya stuff.
but i have to say. this guy is way over the edge. can suck the fun out of the room fast. other than the cost. .. i see nothing wrong with what someone did to a old 318 car.
JMHO

I would encourage any potential buyers of the fake car to buy this fake car instead. :p

Screenshot_20230715-062731~2.png
Screenshot_20230715-062659~2.png
Screenshot_20230715-063008~2.png

:rofl:

Last edited:
Hmmm, let's see.

Clone: Genetically identical. NOPE!

Tribute: A compliment or flattery. NOPE!!

Fake: Not genuine, a forgery or sham. YEP!!!

The mopar is not a fake car. It is as real as you and I. It IS misrepresented and massively overpriced. It’s VIN tells you what it is…period.
Due to the apparent snobbery, I will not post pictures or details of my car. It is what it is. I enjoy driving it and do not really care if any of you like it or not.
Lack of acceptance of others has been the death knell of numerous online forums.

You realize of course that these cars do not lessen the value of your museum quality cars.

Only an unsuspecting rube would pay that much for a car with no pedigree and so many obvious flaws. Like UT said, it’s a $6K car at best…
I haven’t seen a running and driving 2 door ‘68-‘70 Satellite or Coronet for $6k since 2003. Please feel free to post one if you see it. I’d ask Tony to do the same, but he can’t.

OK, he does immediately offer a disclaimer that he's a fanatical purist. So, he's not being disingenuous in offering his specific perspective. Now, I can watch knowing from where's he coming from. And i have to say, he's accurate in pretty much everything. So, what does that mean ? Where is the line drawn from using personal license ( got it on one of my cars now) to the realm of fraudulence ? I think there are 2 issues on this car: misrepresentation, and (lack of) craftsmanship. And both fail miserably. And again, the old adage comes into play: BUYER BEWARE.

OK, he does immediately offer a disclaimer that he's a fanatical purist. So, he's not being disingenuous in offering his specific perspective. Now, I can watch knowing from where's he coming from. And i have to say, he's accurate in pretty much everything. So, what does that mean ? Where is the line drawn from using personal license ( got it on one of my cars now) to the realm of fraudulence ? I think there are 2 issues on this car: misrepresentation, and (lack of) craftsmanship. And both fail miserably. And again, the old adage comes into play: BUYER BEWARE.
Have you seen the stuff Tony builds? That’s why I like his channel. He’s always using stuff that works, and a lot of times inexpensive. To hear him going off on **** that obviously isn’t for the year, or correct was laughable. Like I said, I didn’t think he was one of those “know it all about factory paint blobs and assembly line graffiti” guys.

I finally watched the video and I have to say, I really don't care about most of that stuff. I'm not a purist and definitely not a show car guy. Do what you want and own it. But putting 383 badging on a 318 car - well, that's just dumb. If it was left over from the original engine that's one thing, but to purposefully badge it for a bigger engine is pointless (in my less than humble opinion, of course).

Don’t believe there’s much knocking on other people’s rides. This guy had his fun telling people how much he knows about the details. My slant was the seller trying to obtain a fortune for a car that clearly has signs of an inferior or incomplete restoration, aside from the ‘cloning’ stabs. I’d just guess given what was viewable, there’s a bunch more wrong – bondo, serious rust, etc. Of course, anyone can ask what they want and best a luck on that.

Know guys that have purchased restored cars not having the time or ability to resto themselves. One guy had a sweet ’64 Fury, very well done with a photo album of each step on the restoration. I did the same when I restored my 2nd car, only having a dozen from my first (before mobile phone cameras). Have 200+ photos I took for later viewing. Nice thing is when I sell it or my offspring does, potential buyers will see exactly what it was and what was done to it. MO, as major restoration projects are in my past, if I’d buy an old ride for a change up, a pictorial history would mean a whole lot with my buying decision.

What? No go wing or gull wing on the trunk deck lid?
:rofl:

Don’t believe there’s much knocking on other people’s rides. This guy had his fun telling people how much he knows about the details. My slant was the seller trying to obtain a fortune for a car that clearly has signs of an inferior or incomplete restoration, aside from the ‘cloning’ stabs. I’d just guess given what was viewable, there’s a bunch more wrong – bondo, serious rust, etc. Of course, anyone can ask what they want and best a luck on that.

Know guys that have purchased restored cars not having the time or ability to resto themselves. One guy had a sweet ’64 Fury, very well done with a photo album of each step on the restoration. I did the same when I restored my 2nd car, only having a dozen from my first (before mobile phone cameras). Have 200+ photos I took for later viewing. Nice thing is when I sell it or my offspring does, potential buyers will see exactly what it was and what was done to it. MO, as major restoration projects are in my past, if I’d buy an old ride for a change up, a pictorial history would mean a whole lot with my buying decision.
Not to sound like I’m selling this car… for that price… but on the drive over undercarriage shot, I didn’t see any serious rust. It looked like the floors, rails, and trunk pan were original. Here’s the vid from Maple Motors.

Have you seen the stuff Tony builds? That’s why I like his channel. He’s always using stuff that works, and a lot of times inexpensive. To hear him going off on **** that obviously isn’t for the year, or correct was laughable. Like I said, I didn’t think he was one of those “know it all about factory paint blobs and assembly line graffiti” guys.
Nope, never seem/heard him before, and I don't give a rat's *** about what he does. I was merely commenting solely on the video... in and of itself. But, if I may respond to your last ^ sentence... he was pointing out very obvious errors and deficiencies, not crayon marks or orientation of console screws.

Nope, never seem/heard him before, and I don't give a rat's *** about what he does. I was merely commenting solely on the video... in and of itself. But, if I may respond to your last ^ sentence... he was pointing out very obvious errors and deficiencies, not crayon marks or orientation of console screws.
If you mean the shifter location… I get it. That doesn’t work right. But my ‘70 Charger came with the console and long offset Pistol Grip shifter. I tell people that say they don’t like the ‘70 as much as the ‘68-‘69 that the ‘70 had the High Back Bucket Seats, The Offset Pistol Grip Shifter, and the 440 Six Pack that my car came with. But I’ve seen plenty of ‘68-‘69 Chargers with those things added. I’d do the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back