• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 273?

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
I was at a local junkyard that I've done business with since I was a kid in the 80s. They are cleaning house and retiring soon. I went there the other day with my 65 Belvedere wagon. It has the original 273. Wayne is a Mopar guy. He showed me a 273 he has in the back of a van. Says it came out of a 66 or 67 Barracuda. He just doesn't know or remember the condition of it. He said the guy that he got it from said it ran when pulled years ago. He said I could have it for $250. Should I snag it? I don't see them come up for sale in my area at all.

I was at a local junkyard that I've done business with since I was a kid in the 80s. They are cleaning house and retiring soon. I went there the other day with my 65 Belvedere wagon. It has the original 273. Wayne is a Mopar guy. He showed me a 273 he has in the back of a van. Says it came out of a 66 or 67 Barracuda. He just doesn't know or remember the condition of it. He said the guy that he got it from said it ran when pulled years ago. He said I could have it for $250. Should I snag it? I don't see them come up for sale in my area at all.
It's up to you but I wouldn't pay that much. I would say $100 for a rebuildable core unless it's a 4 barrel engine then the intake, distributor, rockers and shafts, and valve covers all have value. The cranks are forged but light for 273/318.

Last edited:
It probably has adjustable rockers in it which are worth about $250 minimum just for that. May also have a 90 oil filter adapter, another $100 minimum for that

Ask yourself this. Can you buy all the parts to rebuild your engine for less than 250. I'd say its worth the 250 just to have a second set of everything.

Ask yourself this. Can you buy all the parts to rebuild your engine for less than 250. I'd say its worth the 250 just to have a second set of everything.
That's what I'm thinking.

Short of $$Expensive$$ custom forged pistons, I have been unable to find replacements. Even Egge doesn't make them anymore.

Sorry, unless they have actual stock sitting on their shelves, they do not have pistons (unless CHINA made). United Engine and Machine which sells Silvolite does not even list a 273 anymore. Same goes for Sealed Power, not for years and I don't think a piston is even listed in their catalog anymore either. On the link you supplied, there is a note: 'To order this kit, please contact us using the form on the following page: http://greenbaypartsworld.net/contact.cfm', which probably means, sorry we can't get pistons.

PS.. Rock Auto doesn't even show a piston for a 273, and they bought out ALL of the old stock... :thumbsup:

I just called John at Egge and he said that they have one set of std's, and they are making cores at the moment due in about May sometime. Then they can make some, BUT what I said before was true too. They didn't have any or had any intention of making any 5 or so years ago because of demand. Evidentially, there has been a demand, so they are making a run. If you want some 273 pistons, I suggest you keep an eye out because when these cores are gone, you don't know when the next run might be...

I just called John at Egge and he said that they have one set of std's, and they are making cores at the moment due in about May sometime. Then they can make some, BUT what I said before was true too. They didn't have any or had any intention of making any 5 or so years ago because of demand. Evidentially, there has been a demand, so they are making a run. If you want some 273 pistons, I suggest you keep an eye out because when these cores are gone, you don't know when the next run might be...
Thanks for calling and talking to someone there directly! It helps to have info like that. While they may not have had any 5 years ago, it was in 2019 that they announced that they'd be making them.

Thanks for calling and talking to someone there directly! It helps to have info like that. While they may not have had any 5 years ago, it was in 2019 that they announced that they'd be making them.
I'm a shop, so I am always calling John. They are making my customer some pistons for a GM '39 216 6cyl right now...

So I went by there today to check out the motor. It's in the back of an old box truck. It spins and is complete. I told them I would go by next week and grab it.

In my time rebuilding poly 318's esp the 62 to 65 engines we loved the cranks out of a 273 or early 318 LA. The cranks were the same and were a good source for replacements. So whats a crank worth to some one with a buggared one? Plus as mentioned before the rocker gear on those,if still original, are adjustable and swap into a Poly 318 too (if my memory is correct) 273 ci may not be the most desireable engine size but what the engine offers in parts is well worth the effort. Its good to hear it will be saved from scrap because as said many times before once its gone - its gone for good

Bad news. It's not a 273 after all. 318-2 right on the side of the block once we could see it. Non adjustable rockers so it's an early LA 318. I already have a few of those. Oh well. Better luck next time.

If anyone is still interested, I can check at work to see what we have in stock of the 4bbl hi compression pistons.
I can be reached on our 800# or by email [email protected]
Mike
Egge Sales Manager

20220429_171812.jpg 20220506_165531.jpg 20220506_074441.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back