• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 383 build.

I think some might say that 1 3/4" headers may be better for this build, but I am no expert here, so I will throw this out there for consideration.
I’ve done dyno tests on a mildly built RV 440 stock bottom end, .020 steel head gaskets and mildly ported 906 heads with an eddy rpm intake and 750dp Holley. 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 headers the 1 7/8 were better all across the board. He should be fine.

I didn't want to hijack the Swedish guy's thread anymore so I started this thread.
I'm rebuilding the original engine in this car:
View attachment 956102
It is a 383 2 barrel. It is virgin bore with original pistons, steel crank, 727 trans and 3,23 gears. I have other ratios I can use including 3.55s and 3.91s. I put a 3.23 chunk in it just because I had it handy.
I will be using 1 7/8" headers, a Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb on either a Holley Street Dominator or an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. At first I might get it running with a points distributor or a stock based electronic ignition.
I am looking to be at or below 9.5 to 1 since I am using iron heads with stock valve sizes. I have a set of '346 heads that had been rebuilt with new exhaust seats put in. I did some amateur porting to them and have them at the machine shop now for a 3 angle valve job.
I'm using these pistons by Speed Pro:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-l2315nf30

I am not building this engine strictly to race, I want reliability and adequate power since I'll primarily drive on the street. THis engine may not be the only engine that I use in the car. I may step up to a 440 or stroke this 383 sometime later on. I just want to get it running and have some fun with it. I may road race it . I'm not interested in building a track-only car though.
I have manual disc/drum brakes so idle vacuum isn't a concern.
I have several nice sets of stock rocker arms and shafts/pushrods so I am leaning toward a hydraulic flat tappet.
"PR Heads" mentioned something to the effect that the popular fast rate hydraulics are not suited for rpms over 6000 and my understanding is that the 383 needs to rev that high to make decent power. I respect his advice so I guess that to have some higher rpm capabilities in a hydraulic FT cam, I'd need something different than that. I ran the MP 280/474 in a stock piston 440 and it was a great performer but with the BS pricing of their cams now, I'm looking elsewhere.
I am not against a solid flat tappet even though the cost for rocker arms and pushrods adds several hundred to the cost of the build.
I am interested in camshaft suggestions as well as advice on piston rings. Cast iron? Moly ?
The Speed Pro uses a 5/64-5/64/3/16 ring pack.
Thanks!
Moly rings plateau finish
http://jonescams.com/street-performance/
what do you figure your true compression is?
under 9.5 use his mopar Hyd
9.5 or more us MFT with edm lifters ask Mike

I think a 383 b-body is about as quick as a V6 Nissan Altima, unless you start spending cubic money or are just really sharp at tuning antique cars.

My '69 318 Coronet can outrun my mom's Nissan Altima (4 cylinder) and some sort of Mazda a guy at work has. Up to a point. The 318 2bbl lacks oomph as the revs rise.
Real world experience. The main problem with the Coronet is braking and handling at higher speeds.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I went with the Speed Pro 2315 pistons and the Comp 280/480 flat tappet hydraulic cam.
Moly rings too!

I think a 383 b-body is about as quick as a V6 Nissan Altima, unless you start spending cubic money or are just really sharp at tuning antique cars.

Not so fast my friend.

A 2018 Nissan Altima 3.5L SL does the quarter mile at 14.9.

1969 Motor Trend numbers put a 383 Road Runner with 727 and 3.23 gears at 14.7. A 4-speed version with 4.10 gears did it at 14.35.

It doesn’t stop there. In September 1968, Ronnie Sox manages a quarter mile time with a stock 383/727/3.91 Road Runner of 13.95 @ 101mph. After that, they install Holley 3310-1, Edelbock DP4B intake, 284 cam, Hooker headers, and 7” slicks. Sox then manages a best time of 13.60 @ 105mph.

So there you go. Even a Motor Trend editor wit a base 727 and 3.23 gears is faster than the V6 Altima.

Back in the day 383s were strong runners and known for it. The main problem with them today is lot of people screw them up with low compression pistons and camshafts that are too big, a recipe for a 16 second car or worse.

The only time that I went too big was in a 360 I built for a car I called the FrankenDuster.
360 with Speed Pro hyperutectics, stock heads and a 292/508 cam. I should have gone smaller because that engine was not impressive.
The MP 280/474 was a good cam in my mild 440 build. This 383 will have more compression but be very similar otherwise. Same type of intake, carburetor size, header and ignition system.

Auto Transport Service
Back