• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another gear pattern post.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
The coast side looks good? but the drive side looks a bit too deep?? When I first started setting up gears I bought a pinion depth tool/indicator and even when I got the depth set right according to the setting tool, the pattern just never looked right to me. But when I stuck a newly set up 3rd member into my car, it was quiet on accel and decel and stayed quiet 100's of miles later. I did that to 3 others before I trusted the set up tool and from then on I never bothered looking at the pattern again. This set of gears isn't marked with a + or - number so I'm having to use the mounting distance method to get my starting point. I've done one other using the MD method and it was good even though the pattern still didn't look right on it.....at least not to me. Anyways, this is on a Dana 60 with slip fit preload and .010 backlash.

IMG_20220913_092258800.jpg

IMG_20220913_092419265.jpg

Cranky - im not an expert at setting up either.. but we found some links to help another user in this thread you might find helpful..

8 3/4 setup / thoughts on wear pattern?
Motive gear shows the pattern of the 'competition' in that chart and that is looking like what I have now. Kinda thinking I may move the pinion away .005 maybe. I've been setting up gears since the 80's but just relied on my setup tool so never really learned to read the pattern. This rear is going into a car with around 500 hp.....440 so it should be producing some torque too and I'd rather be a little deep than too shallow.

Auto Transport Service
Back