• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another general question about a car's scarcity

Packfan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
Just like the title says....

I spend my free time trolling around the interwebs looking at random Mopars, discussion forums, auctions and classic car dealer's sites. After paying close attention to the B Bodies, especially the '67 GTX's, it has got me wondering how rare or scarce my '67 GTX convertible actually is. I know Chrysler doesn't have accurate info on cars of this era (I do have the build record from Chrysler Historical) but I am thinking with the options this car has, it has got to have limited twins. I don't know if I am the only one who feels this but it seems the 66' - '67 B Bodies are becoming even more sought after lately and interest is growing in them. It has got to be the clean, sharp body lines! Lol.
Anyways, here are some of the options of my GTX. As stated before...it is a white top convertible, light blue metallic paint, white interior with the black dash/upper door trim. It has power disc brakes up front and drums in the rear. It has the 440/727 and console. It is also a power steering car. Interior options include the console tach, dash clock, both buckets have head-rests and best of all, power windows! The power windows is what I believe sets it apart. When looking at other GTX's I have found only a couple with the power window option.
Let's have fun kicking this around. Looking forward to your opinions fellas!

Thanks - Eric

Seems like it would be a relatively rare car as optioned. The production numbers I have seen for 67 lump GTX and Satellite together - roughly 2000 convertibles if I remember correctly. I seem to recall seeing a breakdown of about 800 GTX and 1200 Satellite convertibles somewhere, but don't know how accurate those numbers are.

On the early 90's, I got a "How many are left?" estimate on my 67 Satellite convertible from an outfit called Automotive Information Clearinghouse. The estimate was supposedly based on production numbers, registration data, salvage data and their own computer modeling. I'll have to find the paper, but my best recollection is that it was in the 100-200 range. Options were not included in the breakdown. For reference, they estimated that my Satellite hardtop was one of about 1400 left nationally, which always seemed low to me since there were about 30k Satellite and GTX hardtops produced.

680 GTX convertibles in 67, 2050 Satellite convertibles. As for your particular options, there is no way to determine how many convertibles were painted a certain color, or how many were built with any specific options. The data is just not out there because those details were simply not tracked back then. Safe to say tho, not many of the 680 were optioned exactly like yours is. I’ll bet it’s a sharp car tho.

Now, for rarity, here is my 66 Valiant Signet convertible commando equipped car. One of 148 convertible commando cars built in 66. Rare? maybe, valuable?, not so much. Although they were certainly available, not too many folks knew that, or ordered them that way. And even today, not very sought after. It’s for sale for $7500, no takers after 2 years of having it out there for sale.

Rarity is in the eye of the beholder.

D040138D-B9CC-42F1-B8A4-8135370ACE38.png

I always go with the, about 10% survived model.
Converts were likely higher, more garage kept and cherished.

The power window option certainly ups the rarity. I have a '69 GTX with a ridiculously high number of factory options, including power windows. Supposedly 3% of that model year, according to a nearly 30 year old GG report. Keep in mind, these cars are like snowflakes - with the number of available options back then, the odds of any two being the same are close to impossible. They are all one of one, and on that basis, rare.

Last edited:
While not a mopar, 1st car I bought at 17 requiring my dear mother co-signing was a ’67 GTO convert with numerous options: power windows/seat, disks, head rests, tilt wheel, console, rally dash, etc. My brother owned 4 GTO’s in his car days desiring as few options as possible for speed. Every so often he wishes I kept that GTO. Young & dumb. Anyway, well-optioned GTX you have is a dream! I’m envious. Hard to come across. Wish my ’63 vert had – power windows.

I think if you start counting options as how made any car could be 1 of a few. A heavily option car could easily be of 1 of 1. My Satellite has one option not on the car that 99.9% of Hemi cars have, a sure-grip. Without it I put on a pretty mean one tire smoke show.:lol:

Hard to say, This one was light blue, white top and interior but a 4 speed with wind up windows. I buried it in the 70's.

cha13.JPG

Found the estimate I got in 1992 for how many were left...a little more than 10% of those produced. I know there's at least 1 less since I parted out and scrapped the one I had.

Document_2023-04-19_194843.jpg

On ragtops, I'd venture "more than 10% survive" of any given model. I have a '66 Imperial Crown convertible, one of 514. I'd say close to a hundred likely exist that are roadworthy, if only through looking at the pictures on bing, g---le, and duckduckgo. For a line of cars generally, ten percent is likely correct.

my GTX. As stated before...it is a white top convertible, light blue metallic paint,
Let's have fun kicking this around. Looking forward to your opinions fellas!

Thanks - Eric
Ok, my opinion. Since your car is BLUE, with white, and not green/gold, you should be a fan of Big Blue... NY Giants. Or, immediately paint the outside of your car dark green with a gold interior, or outside gold with a dark green interior. Either ugly combo would be appropriate. :poke::drinks: ( Seriously, how 'bout a pic of your car ? )

Here you go.....Has not been on the road since '85. California car it's whole life ('till I bought it). Previous owner rattle canned some primer on the sun burnt areas. It is next in-line once I get the hardtop on the road. Just sent the hinges out to Moparleo for some rebushing!

20230403_142434.jpg

20230403_143322.jpg

20230416_182824.jpg

Cool car.. As others have stated 680 is the number for 67 GTX verts... Survival rate on verts is definitely higher then sedans.. Butttt performance models were often a lower survival rate than pedestrian models early in their existence... However these days there may be more performance models then what originally came off the assembly line...

And yes power windows are semi rare but likely more common on verts than hard tops...

As 440 4 speed eluded to, your head rests are your rarest option...

On ragtops, I'd venture "more than 10% survive" of any given model. I have a '66 Imperial Crown convertible, one of 514. I'd say close to a hundred likely exist that are roadworthy, if only through looking at the pictures on bing, g---le, and duckduckgo. For a line of cars generally, ten percent is likely correct.
When I owned my Chrysler 300F, and was a member of the 300 club, I was surprised at the survival rates for such rare cars. The convertibles had a run of only 248, but significantly more than 10% were in the club registry. The joke about "x number built, x plus 10 survive" applied here. There is a beautiful terra cotta convertible that has been making the rounds on the auction circuit since the 90s, I've seen it in person, and it is well known as a fake by 300F insiders. Unlike GTXs, the letter cars didn't specify body style in the VIN.

300F (2).jpg

Last edited:
680 GTX convertibles in 67, 2050 Satellite convertibles. As for your particular options, there is no way to determine how many convertibles were painted a certain color, or how many were built with any specific options. The data is just not out there because those details were simply not tracked back then. Safe to say tho, not many of the 680 were optioned exactly like yours is. I’ll bet it’s a sharp car tho.

Now, for rarity, here is my 66 Valiant Signet convertible commando equipped car. One of 148 convertible commando cars built in 66. Rare? maybe, valuable?, not so much. Although they were certainly available, not too many folks knew that, or ordered them that way. And even today, not very sought after. It’s for sale for $7500, no takers after 2 years of having it out there for sale.

Rarity is in the eye of the beholder.

View attachment 1452853
I had a 1965 Signet with 273 four barrel 4 speed, really neat car. As you say only some like the looks, I think they are neat. Where is your car located at? I just bought a 65 dodge convertible to do.

That certainly sounds like a great GTX you have with all those options. In the late '80's, I bought my 440, automatic 1967 R/T hardtop as a roller. The powertrain was missing, the interior was cooked, and the paint was terrible. The saving grace was that all the trim was there, and the body was straight and rust free, which is a big thing, up here in Ontario. The car had spent its whole life in North Carolina.
When I restored it, I decided to build the car the way I would have ordered it new. I found a complete 440 and Torqueflight out of a junkyard 1968 New Yorker and rebuilt them to Magnum spec's. I removed the black vinyl top (I like it on limosines, but not so much Musclecars), and changed the paint colour from Bronze Metallic to Daffodil Yellow. I added power 4-piston disc brakes and a rear sway bar ('80's Dippy police car). I changed all the windows to green tinted glass, and added power actuation. The instrument panel now has the optional electric clock, and I added a C-body vacuum gauge to the console top (I coulld not afford a $500-$800 tach that might not work). The console also sports the arm rest lid from a Charger/Monaco. I parted out a rusty '66 Chrysler 300 that had an AM/FM radio with reverberator. I adapted a 1967 Coronet radio lense onto this radio, and installed this complete system into my car, with rear deck speaker and fader switch. My car now also has the rear window defroster. On the outside, the car sports Redline radial tires. This car already had the optional bumperettes.
So, my car has a lot of options, but I cheated by adding them. The option that gets the most comments are the power windows, since not many Musclecars got these. As Frank said, "I did it my way!".

P7030085.JPG

P7030087.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back