• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another new Mopar guy to the ranks

Welcome ffrom CT. That car looks familiar hmmm I've seen one like that.:thumbsup::lol:
Clean Satellite 1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

nice 66 too, by the way

Well it did it to me again, out for a cruise on a warm New England day, and wouldn't start after a 30 minute walk through a store. Battery didn't have enough sack to turn it over to start. Recently replaced ECU but noticed car has a contact style voltage regulator. Homework tells me electronic ignition should have an electronic voltage regulator, but the car was running with contact style VR when I bought it and a 100 miles or less of driving since I bought it. Though I did observe ampmeter barely charging during the ride at idle or highway. I got a meter and some electrical trouble shooting, where do I go chasing this?
Thanks

I'd be picking up one of the electronic regulators specifically designed to replace the old points style ones.
They're out there for Mopars - they use the factory wiring to connect and mount in place of the old one, too.

Electronic ignition will run just fine with the old style voltage regulator. Your original post #30 stated "Though I did observe ampmeter barely charging during the ride at idle or highway"
sounds normal to me. An alternator will not charge a bad battery, but will charge a discharged battery. As @moparedtn said above if you go to the solid state VR, get the one designed for your system.

I bought one like this. not mine as per site rules. The blue regulators eat batteries, MO.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191668898262
I agree with using the one that looks like original - but disagree with the assessment of the "blue" ones.
I've been running the blue ones for decades with nary an issue - in fact, they get passed from car to car sometimes.

I bought one like this. not mine as per site rules. The blue regulators eat batteries, MO.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191668898262
I saw that style at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. You've had the blue VR's go through batteries? This is my first experience with the electronic ignition in the old cars. Mopars I had 30 years ago were all points. Got some learnin'. ECU's in chrome, orange, black. Ballast resisters with different ohm ratings. I gotta figure out what works best with a 3690432 distributor and how to keep the charging system in tune.

I saw that style at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. You've had the blue VR's go through batteries? This is my first experience with the electronic ignition in the old cars. Mopars I had 30 years ago were all points. Got some learnin'. ECU's in chrome, orange, black. Ballast resisters with different ohm ratings. I gotta figure out what works best with a 3690432 distributor and how to keep the charging system in tune.
Go through batteries is my opinion.I was get 3 to and half years out of a battery. Costco was REAL good to me full warranty on 2 batteries and a 75% on another.

I'd be picking up one of the electronic regulators specifically designed to replace the old points style ones.
They're out there for Mopars - they use the factory wiring to connect and mount in place of the old one, too.
Will do. Just found Walmart selling the old points style regulator in electronic made by Mopar.
I agree with using the one that looks like original - but disagree with the assessment of the "blue" ones.
I've been running the blue ones for decades with nary an issue - in fact, they get passed from car to car sometimes.

Auto Transport Service
Back