• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another power brake conversion thread

Daytrepper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wanted to see if anyone has installed a similar kit to mine and ran into this issue;

I got a full power disc conversion kit for my 66 Coronet; rotors, spindles, calipers, etc; all that went on really nice, fit well.

Now I'm working on the brake booster. The linkage for the booster rod to the pedal is going to hit the firewall if I attempt to install it.

There are no instructions with the kit, and the few I found online mention cutting the booster rod, which I did, about a 1/4 inch. It will still just barely hit the firewall, and I don't really want to cut it any shorter without some direction.

Also, there were 8 spacers included in the kit with the booster. With no instructions I can only assume these go between the booster and bracket, but I don't necessarily like that;

Anyone ran into this one or have any ideas? See pics!

booster1.jpg

BOOSTER2.jpg

Maybe trim the booster rod a tad more. Looks like you’re almost there and have multiple brake pedal shafts that are probably different lengths. My instructions said to make the hole in firewall kinda a “snowman” shape but luckily I didn’t have to. Or secondly grind the lever assembly that is sticking out too far flat (?)

I guess you have the PB firewall bracket? Or does the kit somehow retain the manual brake bracket?

I guess you have the PB firewall bracket? Or does the kit somehow retain the manual brake bracket?

It uses the original manual brake bracket, which is what is on the car.

Mine was manual drum all around before. Sorry, didn’t compare the brackets. And no spacers.

5D474262-7856-4F35-95F8-8FE1DDD25EAD.jpeg

0E09A1EC-4A55-4971-AD03-82F19E4F4BDA.jpeg

The brackets are different for OEM brake systems - PB vs MB. But there are so many conversion and aftermarket kits out - maybe someone figured out a way to do it without the PB bracket - I sure don’t know. This thread highlites the differences.

How to identify B-Body (or E-Body) firewall mounting plates | 1962-1974 | manual vs. power
So after reading that it appears I have the "Hemi" style setup. It even shows the spacers between the booster and bracket on Mr Diffs page.

Im going to mock it up tomorrow. It should fit without interfering with the firewall if i install the spacers and maybe shorten the rod just a touch more. Thank you!

Update; not liking this setup.

Ordered up a more original setup, Bendix 8" booster, firewall plate, and 4 bolt Mopar style master. Original style pedal linkage.

"Tech help" with this install has been non-existent as far as the booster goes from the ebay seller. I'm not a spring chicken either been working on cars since I could crawl; so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing with a brake booster...dammit.

This kit was made by MBM brakes, I called them for advice, and they said basically "we don't like that seller, so no tech advice for you"; how is that my freaking problem? Contacted the seller's website as well, they don't answer the phone, and their voice mail refers to the Ebay seller.

The rest of the parts, calipers/rotors/etc, good stuff, installed easy, look nice.

Man I can't freaking stand bullshit. No instruction with this kit, I've been at these restorations for years and never had a problem like this with a vendor so un-willing to help. They sell these things all the time apparently but no one can tell my why the damn linkage hits the firewall. If I cut the rod more, I lose threads on the clevis, no room for lock-nut, car becomes unsafe, not happening. Can't let that bs leave my shop.

Be careful guys; if nothing else my loss is your gain. I'm going to have good brakes on my Coronet at the end of the day though. LOL. Thank you all for replies. Original correct Mopar **** getting installed -- should have done that all along! I'll post pics and details on the final setup.

Last edited:
Your "unit fits this vehicle..." experience is all too familiar. Gotta love having the manufacture giving you the happy finger too.

I had a firewall plate machined.
Maybe you could do something
similar.
I had to compensate for the
stiffening ribs in the firewall.
(on a 1940 Plymouth pickup).
It's a custom set-up using all
Mopar parts.
20211227_151541_HDR.jpg

Your "unit fits this vehicle..." experience is all too familiar. Gotta love having the manufacture giving you the happy finger too.

Yep. Got to be real careful. Many out there nowadays online are just "remote" sellers. They are selling a product warehoused elsewhere; or drop shipping them from a vendor, and know nothing about the parts, nor can they provide tech help.

Simple question I thought; but still no reply from the seller. I'm going to file a case thru Ebay on him.

All the brake parks (rotors, calipers, spindles, etc) were good quality and fit perfect. Its that dang booster that's not right.

I had a firewall plate machined.
Maybe you could do something
similar.
I had to compensate for the
stiffening ribs in the firewall.
(on a 1940 Plymouth pickup).
It's a custom set-up using all
Mopar parts.

Nice. Looks like a very clean install, I'd like to see the rest of the truck.

I ordered up this Mopar style booster, includes factory style linkage and firewall plate. Its from someone I have dealt with before who knows their stuff. Looks pretty straight forward so there shouldn't be any questions on this. Also ordered brake lines and prop valve from Doctor Diff -- never used them but have heard alot of good about them. They were able to set me up with factory style lines and a prop valve too.

Maybe someone else can use this booster/master I'm stuck with on some other project. Looks good enough, just not a big fan of the booster-firewall bracket with linkage provided. Too complicated and funky. I don't like to mess around when it comes to brakes. Master and booster itself is perfectly fine. All that being said this will be the first, and last time I buy one of these "kits".

s-l500.jpg

Nice. Looks like a very clean install, I'd like to see the rest of the truck.

I ordered up this Mopar style booster, includes factory style linkage and firewall plate. Its from someone I have dealt with before who knows their stuff. Looks pretty straight forward so there shouldn't be any questions on this. Also ordered brake lines and prop valve from Doctor Diff -- never used them but have heard alot of good about them. They were able to set me up with factory style lines and a prop valve too.

Maybe someone else can use this booster/master I'm stuck with on some other project. Looks good enough, just not a big fan of the booster-firewall bracket with linkage provided. Too complicated and funky. I don't like to mess around when it comes to brakes. Master and booster itself is perfectly fine. All that being said this will be the first, and last time I buy one of these "kits".

View attachment 1441765

Here's a pic of the chassis and the sheet metal installed on top of it.
20190620_165747.jpg20230224_131820.jpg

Got the new OE style brake booster mounted up today with the new power brake firewall plate; wasn't to terribly difficult.

My brake pedal now sits about 5" off of the floor. Scratched my head for a minute but this is correct apparently for the Bendix power brakes, they don't need nearly the travel that the manual brakes did so the pedal sits lower. I've searched the forums a bit here and it seems some have modified the push rod to get the height closer to the clutch pedal, but I'm going to see how I like it first.

20230401_155305.jpg

Last edited:
I have never understood the vendors that sell ''kits" to make major modifications with no instructions. That would really piss me off. If there are no instructions, I just consider a kit a bunch of parts that might work together. Or maybe not.... YOU figger it out!

I have never understood the vendors that sell ''kits" to make major modifications with no instructions. That would really piss me off. If there are no instructions, I just consider a kit a bunch of parts that might work together. Or maybe not.... YOU figger it out!

Learned my lesson, I knew who I should have bought everything from to start with, but just trying to help the budget out I went to a vendor I had not dealt with before with the same stuff to save a few bucks. They had no clue -- plus I uncovered a feud between them and the manufacturer, so I was double screwed when it came to help...LOL....

I have to shout out to DoctorDiff out of Montana, super helpful, and Speedway Motors on the brake booster. They both know what the heck they are talking about and are very responsive and helpful.

Got it all buttoned up this morning, took her for a test drive, she now stops on a dime; great results after all the drama; manual brake guys; sorry; manual brakes suck; LOL.

20230415_141401.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back