• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another spring relocation topic

arizona satellite

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
hey guys, I know it's been gone over in other post's but I have searched and have yet to find the answer I am looking for. OK I am going to relocate the springs on my 67 satellite to the frame, the MP kit is on it's way so my question is on the rear hanger location do you remove the original spring mount to gain access to the frame or install the tube below the factory location due to accessibility? by installing the tube below the factory position( aprox 1") won't that in effect raise the veh 1"?. Now I know that the shackle is not long enough to clear the frame if mounted at the original height, so can you use a longer shackle or notch the frame for clearance? I know this a long question and I do appreciate your input. I know I could install at the lower position and use a 1" lowering block but that seems just like a bandage. also what if I changed the front position up 1" would that "counter" the rear being down 1"? again sorry for the "mini novel".I am concerned about the geometry of the rear suspension and want it to be correct. Also I see some folks installing the front box in the center of the frame while others install it to the inside giving an extra 1/2" or so of clearance.

Just got done moving the springs on my 66 Coronet and I centered the rear tubes in the frame and measured the width for the front boxes. The front boxes dont set centered in the frames rails. If I moved the new rear tubes more towards the center i would have had a hell of a time with the bolts going thru the shackles hitting the spare well. I also had an issure with the fuel tank. The springs rubbed the rear edges which you can bend out of the way but the filler tube will no longer fit. You can either fab up a tube or just go with a fuel cell which I am going to do now. As far as geometry your just gonna have to mock it up with the weight on the car, find the angles you would like , then tack the spring perches into place. My car will never see a track so i left the shackles at the factory angle and will use a shim if i need to move it. Hope the helps a little. Its one thing after another when you move all this stuff.

Did the spring re-location to my 67 Belvedere - and went through the same questions, so I got up with Chris at US Car Tools ( that's the kit I bought ) and he helped my by creating a new option that allowed me to set the new location, at the same height as the old location ( used a steel rod to make sure the lined up ) as it was welded into the new frame - yes, more fabrication, but I did not want to change the height of the rear of my car.

It's all documented ( with pictures ) in my build thread - feel free to shoot me a PM ( conversation ) if you have any questions . . .

Looked back my build - pages 49-53 have the details . . . hope that helps . . .

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back