• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another T-56 Magnum QuickTime Bellhousing Mini Starter Issue

70ChargerRT

Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
The motor is a 440. Paid a guy to install my motor and transmission as I haven’t had the time to do it myself. It’s a SST kit. He’s done several T-56 swaps but never a Mopar. Got my car back and the starter sound absolutely horrible. The starter only lasted 5 outings and went out. Well I pulled the starter out and looks like the block is too thick to allow the starter to properly set in to the flywheel. There was a shim that supposedly came with the kit that fit in the top hole. After some research looks like I found there’s quite a few people who made these swaps and had to grind the block down as some blocks in the starter area are thicker than some. It’s a shame to spend this much money just to grind on the block. I double checked everything and it looks like everything is on the money. I’d just figure the guy who put it together could have said something to me about it. Any advice for me to do something different. I don’t see how I can get out of grinding the block to fix it.

D4FAFF51-9A2E-4745-99F4-68BF7F6D07CA.jpeg

I didn’t take one but it’s the mini starter that was recommended for. Fits like the 89 ram or Dakota V8 or V6

You should not need to grind the block. If the block was the problem the starter would not work no matter what bell housing is used. Simple concept here. The flywheel is fixed off the crankshaft. The bell locates the starter. This is the same with any bell. If your starter is not fitting the block is not the problem. I have heard of the starters not fitting but that was the wiring block on the starter. Lots of minis you just removed the block. The metal dust shield still should be used. I have the kit behind my Hemi. My bets are this. Are the dowels in place? Was the bell housing dialed in properly.

Last edited:
On my Quicktime rm-6073 (a833 version) i had to make a .005" offset bushing to get the starter to stop growling.

You should not need to grind the block. If the block was the problem the starter would not work no matter what bell housing is used. Simple concept here. The flywheel is fixed off the crankshaft. The bell locates the starter. This is the same with any bell. If your starter is not fitting the block is not the problem. I have heard of the starters not fitting but that was the wiring block on the starter. Lots of minis you just removed the block. The metal dust shield still should be used. I have the kit behind my Hemi. My bets are this. Are the dowels in place? Was the bell housing dialed in properly.
QuickTime s
On my Quicktime rm-6073 (a833 version) i had to make a .005" offset bushing to get the starter to stop growling.
Quicktime sent a bushing with this bellhousing but it’s to get the starter away from the flywheel. My problem is I can’t get the starter close enough to engage it properly. It may be an alignment problem as one stated by not being dialed in properly. I’ll soon find out.

Auto Transport Service
Back