• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANOTHER wiper motor thread.....and a dummy that needs a little help.

You don't double click like you're clicking a mouse ... the switch has 4 distinct positions - off, low, med, high.

The problem with using other switches is how Mopar controls the speed. In reality it is a 2-speed motor BUT the position that feeds through the resistor slows one of those speeds to make three speeds.

Likewise with the 2-speed motor, its actually a single speed but running power through the big resistor that's on it gives the second slower speed.

Yes this is right. From what I remember the 3 speed switch has 2 internal resistors in it for controlling some of the speeds. It uses a shunt winding along with a series winding that's in series with the armature. The more current sent through the shunt winding the slower the speed as it takes away amps from the series winding that also flows current to the armature.

The two speed wipers motors I worked with on Mopars actually had 3 brushes in them as the resistor on the outside of the motor is in the low speed circuit that limits torque. On high speed the current goes through a different brush as it has a high and low speed brush and of course a ground brush. But the two speed wiper motor on Mopars does not use a shunt winding like the 3 speed does. Myself I never tried using a 2 speed switch with a 3 speed wiper motor and don't know if it would plug in anyway as its been a long time since I have worked on them. Good luck with yours. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back