• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another worn fuel pump pushrod question

You could possibly find the correct fuel pump pushrod in the mechanical parts section
And again, you WILL need a brass tipped FP pushrod IF you are using a billet camshaft. This Howards is regular for a "Cast" Flat tappet camshaft.
Summit Racing description: Fuel Pump Pushrod, Chromoly, SteelTip For Cast Camshafts, .432 in, Dia., 3.22 in. Length, Mopar, Each

For Billet Camshaft:
Howards Cams 92153 Howards Cams Fuel Pump Pushrods | Summit Racing

COMP Cams 4646 COMP Cams Fuel Pump Pushrods | Summit Racing

Thanks for the in 69bee. I have a hydraulic flat tappet, so the hughes rod will work.

And thanks for the rundown since i was hoping to build a 440 with rollers down the road.

Thanks for the in 69bee. I have a hydraulic flat tappet, so the hughes rod will work.

And thanks for the rundown since i was hoping to build a 440 with rollers down the road.

Do not use the Howard's!

I left you a link to read in post #10

It'd be nice if someone could come up with one that used a roller on the cam side and something to keep it from rotating.

tree'd....... I was going to suggest someone develop a roller tip push rod
You rang?

IMG_4894.jpeg
IMG_4895.jpeg

The 12-440-11 Eldebrock and Holley is the same pump as the M6903 Carter just chrome plated. Eldebrock supposedly ordered them from Carter with the pressure in mind for the Eldebrock carburetors to be less than the M6903. One way to tell how strong the spring might be is to check your fuel pressure. If it's higher than it should be more than likely it has a strong spring. The heavy spring rate is what is contributing to push rod wear. The other thing is there's lots of inferior aftermarket push rods out there. Howard's has come up many times for premature wear.

Read this thread for some details...

Mechanical Fuel Pump 101
I had sent out my brand new Carter M6903 to these guys . He said it was assembled wrong [diaphragm stretched] at the factory and way too strong a spring. He also sells rebuild kits for this too. Way too strong a spring can't be good for the pushrod wear.

You could possibly find the correct fuel pump pushrod in the mechanical parts section.

View attachment 1478971
Speaking of these......... does anyone know Paul Carter in Leichester, Mass. ? if so, could you please check on him to see if he is ok ? i sent him a P.O. money order for a new hardened tip pushrod, and after a few pm's, i am hearing nothing............ this was on March 16th of this year.

Speaking of these......... does anyone know Paul Carter in Leichester, Mass. ? if so, could you please check on him to see if he is ok ? i sent him a P.O. money order for a new hardened tip pushrod, and after a few pm's, i am hearing nothing............ this was on March 16th of this year.
@PAUL M CARTER should send him an alert.

I had sent out my brand new Carter M6903 to these guys . He said it was assembled wrong [diaphragm stretched] at the factory and way too strong a spring. He also sells rebuild kits for this too. Way too strong a spring can't be good for the pushrod wear.
I agree. We had a thread awhile back about this. I'd mentioned that I can actuate my old Carter 'Street' pump by hand (no fuel issues or bad pushrod wear ever w/ roughly 30,000 miles on various builds) and some of the guys thought that was weird as they couldn't budge theirs by hand.
I'd think that has to be part of the problem...

Well he was last seen at 7:32 a.m. today and has had numerous posts since March....

Auto Transport Service
Back