• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anthony Bourdain won't be down to make breakfast

His first book, Kitchen Confidential, is a good read. The follow up, 10 or so years later is also good. It gives an insiders insight into the restaurant world. He was honest about his struggle w/ drugs. I actually saw him when he came to Baltimore several years ago. He had just left the Food Network. He said the cool thing about going to CNN - the door to anywhere in the world is open. You want to show the culture, food, etc of somewhere controversial, at war, under oppressive rule, etc. The whole world watches CNN. If you find foreign food interesting, the guy had a good thing going. He was cool.

Obviously the folks who have commented on this thread cared, so we'll excuse your ignorance. BTW, being ignorant is not necessarily a bad thing. It just means you don't know, so don't be offended.

Don't feed the troll.

R.I.P. Greatest gig in the world won't solve everything...

Suicide what a waste,
he had a long history of depression & self abuse

I guess the polite thing to say is RIP Anthony

I grilled T-bones.
Mostly just for an excuse to drink, but kinda for Anthony

Hung himself. Drug user. 11 year old daughter. What a coward.

now he can rest. i feel for the family

Sad deal for sure. His shows were entertaining. Seems like we're seeing more and more of this kind of thing. RIP Tony.

Hung himself. Drug user. 11 year old daughter. What a coward.
Has nothing to do with being a coward and everything to do with depression. Two people in my family took there lives. One was my first cousin, the baby of the family. She was the apple of my uncles eye and i thank the Lord he passed before she died.
The last i saw her she was still this pretty bubbly girl in her twenties. What i didn't know was she had a problem which grew and grew. She was a additive person and was in and out of rehabs for years. She just could not get that monkey off her back. Her older sister tried everything to help her to no avail. My brother told me i wouldn't recognize her. She had gotten out of yet another rehab and God knows what was going through her mind. She was living in some run down dump with some deadbeat boyfriend. She had pills for depression and whatever else. She took them all, lay down on the bed and never woke up. It was a sin she died but talking about it with her sisters, she just gave up.
A co worker was acting up for about a year, just doing weird ****. One day at coffee time, everybody went back to work and i told him to sit down. I asked him what was going on and he told me. He also said he was thinking of ending it all, we talked and he went back to work. I turned him in to my supervisors who then took him to the hospital. He had firearms at home and there was no way after he told me this that i wasn't going to act on it. When he got out and returned to work he thanked me. He told me prior to telling me he was thinking of killing himself he had not slept in over three days. He told me he lost track of everything, could not think straight, could not function. I may have very well saved his life.
My moms cousin was a nerd in every sense of the word. When bell bottom pants were in style he wore pants with cuffs. He chained smoked and i doubt he was ever with a woman. He was brilliant, graduated with honors and went on to get a PHD. Yet he could not get a promising job. He wound up teaching in a private school. He lived at home with his parents had few friends and no social life. I guess he just had enough, maybe he was a coward or maybe he was so depressed with life he just gave up. He went into his bedroom shut the door and took cyanide. His father found him gurgling and unconsciousness. He died.
Some people though may be cowards as in a case of a guy at work many decades ago. He always was a nasty person, hard to get along with, always in a fight with somebody. I was shop steward and i could never reason with him no matter how nice i tried to be. He divorced his wife and began dating some woman. Then i heard his co workers say how he bragged about all the sex he was getting. What he was doing was molesting his girlfriend under age daughter. He was arrested. The rest of the story goes to that he knew he was going to jail, he was a outcast, nobody wanted to have anything to do with him. One day he parked his car in a wooded area, took a hose and put it from the exhaust into the window. Stuffed rags around the opening. Took a whole bottle of sleeping pills, went to sleep and never woke up. In his case maybe he was a coward. Who knows.

It sure is easy for us that don't know what it's like to be suicidal to judge others.

I can only imagine that when a person gets to that point, their mind is no longer functioning like a normal person.

Nobody here said he was a "hero" (maybe I missed it), but he was a person with a family and his passing is sad.

Screenshot_20180616-060750.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back