• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any bracing needed when replacing tail panel and trunk pan (68 coronet)

Robking

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Morning folks, hope everybody has been disinfecting liberally with alcohol. And by alcohol I mean bourbon (or your libation of choice).

It's time to tackle the *** end of this thing, and I'm thinking I can repair my tail panel but it almost certainly has to come off to do so. Plus the trunk pans are shot which is another good reason. Wanted to see if anyone has had a problem with the body racking with the tail panel and trunk pans out, or any suggestions about how to brace it to avoid any issues.

IMG_20200324_175047.jpg

Morning folks, hope everybody has been disinfecting liberally with alcohol. And by alcohol I mean bourbon (or your libation of choice).

It's time to tackle the *** end of this thing, and I'm thinking I can repair my tail panel but it almost certainly has to come off to do so. Plus the trunk pans are shot which is another good reason. Wanted to see if anyone has had a problem with the body racking with the tail panel and trunk pans out, or any suggestions about how to brace it to avoid any issues.

View attachment 926840
I wouldn't think you would have a problem. When reinstalling panels attach with sheet metal screws and check fit before doing any welding.
Have car sitting on wheels and try to make it as level as possible. That might be having wheels and tires all the same size.

I have a 68 coronet. I replaced the right quarter panel, tail panel, left side trunk floor, and left extension. I bought most of it through amd. Mo-par city shipped me the whole *** end off a 68 for the tail panel. I didn't support anything while it was all apart. Though i was very cautious, working around the quarter, with it just hanging there. Surprisingly everything fit well. Even the deck lid has decent spacing.

I have a 68 coronet. I replaced the right quarter panel, tail panel, left side trunk floor, and left extension. I bought most of it through amd. Mo-par city shipped me the whole *** end off a 68 for the tail panel. I didn't support anything while it was all apart. Though i was very cautious, working around the quarter, with it just hanging there. Surprisingly everything fit well. Even the deck lid has decent spacing.
Thanks! Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. That tail panel looks like it has a LOT of spot welds.

Thanks! Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. That tail panel looks like it has a LOT of spot welds.
It does. Using the factory holes, behind the quarter end caps, helped with alignment. Be careful with the three braces at the bottom of the tail panel. They can be weak, at the 90°.

It does. Using the factory holes, behind the quarter end caps, helped with alignment. Be careful with the three braces at the bottom of the tail panel. They can be weak, at the 90°.
Try to be as precise as you can when drilling out spot welds. I drill an 1/8 inch pilot hole as near as I can tell is the center of the spot weld.
I use Blair (brand) spot weld cutters. Use a 1/2" drill for more torgue and slower speed than a 3/8" drill. I also try to refrain from using an air
chisel and use hand chisels to do the separation, especially when you are trying to save and reinstall a used panel.

Thank you all for the great information, I'm feeling a little better about tackling this. Thanks for the tip
about the braces, I know at least two of mine will need some repair.

One other question, I assume there are spot welds all along the top edge of the tail panel where it meets the trunk corner?
I highlighted a few I could make out. Of course getting a flap wheel after it would probably make them show up
better, but always nice to know where to look as opposed to continually trying to pry it apart.

IMG_20200326_123956.jpg

I've got a tail panel, thats been completely separated, with the welds drilled out. I could post a pic if you like, but thats no guarantee yours are in the same place.

I've got a tail panel, thats been completely separated, with the welds drilled out. I could post a pic if you like, but thats no guarantee yours are in the same place.
That's kind of you to offer, in the end I just need to take it all down to the metal and drill 'em out. I'm going to try to do better
about taking pictures along the way and put them on my build thread (as soon as I get it caught up).

That's kind of you to offer, in the end I just need to take it all down to the metal and drill 'em out. I'm going to try to do better
about taking pictures along the way and put them on my build thread (as soon as I get it caught up).
What i have, wasn't taken apart at the places you have circled

20200326_140517.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back