• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any difference between 68 and 69 roadrunner hoods

moparjohnny

Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
I have a 69 looking at a 68 hood?i do not need air grabber,this 68 is standard.

No cut outs under the inserts and i think there is a difference on location of the latch.

Hmmm! My 68 came with a 69 hood I was told by the seller, no difference what I can see with the latch, maybe he fooled me, it has insulation so I can't see the cutouts, this have to be investigated.

If it has an N96 Air Grabber Hood the vents/grills are on the top on a 1969 & will be red colored, if no Air Grabber option the are Black & fixed... NO N96 Air Grabber option in 1968, the blocked off scoops are pointed out to the sides, with engine size call outs badges... Both have engine size call out on the sides of the hood scoop &/or bulges, whether it's an Air Grabber style hood or not.... Also I believe both the hoods & latches are interchangeable, other than design... there is a different style ends on the radiator core/grill support also, to have the hood pins on the 69's too.... I also think the real early 69's a few of them got 68 style hoods, until the, type with the grills/inserts on-top came out, I could be totally wrong, but I seem to remember that little ditty, being told to me years ago, I've had/owned 13 of the 68-69's now.... The hoods the same it's the inserts/style/scoops & grills or N96 options, that are different...

Attachments

• 68 Roadrunner Advert. #1 Missing Link.jpg
    68 Roadrunner Advert. #1 Missing Link.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 428
  • 68 Roadrunner Advert. #3.jpg
    68 Roadrunner Advert. #3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 473
  • 69 Roadrunner top view.jpg
    69 Roadrunner top view.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 69 Roadrunner Convertible Black #1 FBBO.jpg
    69 Roadrunner Convertible Black #1 FBBO.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 591
  • 69 Roadrunner advert. #1.jpg
    69 Roadrunner advert. #1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
If it has an N96 Air Grabber Hood the vents/grills are on the top on a 1969 & will be red colored, if no Air Grabber option the are Black & fixed... NO N96 Air Grabber option in 1968, the blocked off scoops are pointed out to the sides, with engine size call outs badges... Both have engine size call out on the sides of the hood scoop &/or bulges, whether it's an Air Grabber style hood or not.... Also I believe both the hoods & latches are interchangeable, other than design... there is a different style ends on the radiator core/grill support also, to have the hood pins on the 69's too.... I also think the real early 69's a few of them got 68 style hoods, until the, type with the grills/inserts on-top came out, I could be totally wrong, but I seem to remember that little ditty, being told to me years ago, I've had/owned 13 of the 68-69's now.... The hoods the same it's the inserts/style/scoops & grills or N96 options, that are different...

You Are Exactly Right Budnicks!

I have read that there are two hood latch locations. Hard to tell the difference, not off by much. Try looking up some aftermarket parts, you might find some helpful info there. There are some vendors that offer a hood with two latch locations.

As a follow up on this discussion AMD has two choices for hoods for the 1968 RR. There is a Hood - OE Style and a Hood - OE Style (2 Latch Locations). It appears that the early 1968 RR came with a single latch location and later 1968-1969 hoods came with a two latch location. I have a line on a 1969 RR hood and was wondering if anyone knows what type of modifications would need to be made to the location of the latch to fit an early 1968 RR? For example is it just drilling new holes and/or would there be welding involved?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back