• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Exempt Salaried Employees have any insight?

If you can take 8 hours of PTO (paid time off) for the whole day why the F can't you take 4 hours of PTO for a half day?

I was "exempt" for 15 years.

They want at least 40 hours one way or the other- work or PTO if you have it.

If you don't have the PTO, then you make up the work.
PTO stand for Pretend Time Off by the way.

I’ve been salary exempt at many companies. Policies varied. The laws vary too and are often only loosely interpreted. Some places wanted to manage based on behaviors, others wanted to manage based on results. The “behaviors” crowd were clock-punch mentality idiots. The “results” crowd got results. I took off for 75 minutes today to register a car. No one cares, I deliver what’s needed and more. A typical engineer or manager where I work puts in about 45 hours per week on average.

In the company I worked for "hourly" or non-salaried employees were not required to report time unless it was less than or greater than the normal work week (37.5 hours). o/t was only paid after 40 hours (the government says you only have to pay o/t after 44 hours !!) If you took vacation you reported it. Off sick ... reported. Overtime ... reported. A standard 40 hours ... don't waste the paper!

I'm salaried as well - and have had many gigs over the decades both salaried and hourly.
It didn't really ever matter to me either way - I'm in a business that isn't a strict 8-5 job;
the nature of this business (fire protection) is that things happen to customers 24/7, not
on a schedule.
Further, if I feel like doing some work when I'm up in the wee hours or after dinner in the
evenings, I do it. That's on me; I've always had a strong work ethic and I have a feel for if
I'm giving the company enough value for their money.
As a result, I'm allowed many freedoms to conduct my business without strict oversight.

On top of all that, in this economic atmosphere....I know I'm blessed to have a gig at all.
I'm very grateful for it and always try to represent the company in the best light.
If that makes me a "company man", well fine then.

The old saying "there's not much difference between the spelling of salary and slavery".
My experience has been that you are expected to get the job done regardless of hours worked. This means a 10 or 12 hour day is the norm.
How about this one, hourly are slaves. Period! Salary, don't do **** get paid good money.

Exempt here for 20+ years, semiconductor manufacturing, 24x7x365.25 . I work about 50 hours a week, and probably more since the COVID WFH. I never ran into a situation where I could only work 36 hours and take care of everything that needed my attention. When I finish under 50 I get anxiety thinking I missed something or something bad is about to happen. What's the quote? "Only the paranoid survive." No idea what my employer's policy is on this subject. They don't mind if we need to go to the doctor and don't track our hours that close. I think that they're well aware that they work our butts off.

Exempt here for 20+ years, semiconductor manufacturing, 24x7x365.25 . I work about 50 hours a week, and probably more since the COVID WFH. I never ran into a situation where I could only work 36 hours and take care of everything that needed my attention. When I finish under 50 I get anxiety thinking I missed something or something bad is about to happen. What's the quote? "Only the paranoid survive." No idea what my employer's policy is on this subject. They don't mind if we need to go to the doctor and don't track our hours that close. I think that they're well aware that they work our butts off.
I agree. I worked 28 years in the semiconductor industry. Was told comp time is like Santa Claus; everyone talks about it as it's real, but there is no such thing.

Last edited:
Update: Found out last night, that if you ask for clarification on policies that your new management is not following, to the city manager, your position gets eliminated. I turned them in to HR for policy violation, and to retaliate, they “restructure” at the top and you’re not part of the plan anymore.

Salary, as I’ve always thought, is give n’ take. Some days you work more, some days you work less.

Salary, as I’ve always thought, is give n’ take. Some days you work more, some days you work less.
Trust me in my 36 years of salary life you NEVER work less.

Sure ya do. If you need time to take of personal things, you still got paid your salary. If an hourly wage worker needs time off, they don’t get paid, unless their employer allows make up time. Now I do agree that some salaried workers do put in a lot time and are not paid for it. That’s the give n’ take of being salaried.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back