• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any help with getting the spring retainer on the steering coupler?

Lineman

Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Cant for the life of me get that spring clip thing over the steeering coupler that holds the cap on the end of the coupler. Can somebody tell me the secret?

Thanks

Jay

If you're talking about the steel cap with the tabs that get bent over the coupler housing then yes, I can at least tell you what worked for me. The trick is clamping it tight where you're compressing the rubber seal while holding the cap firmly in place then just take a dull chisel and work the tabs down tight.

HA, I knew that I couldn't be the only one that finds this to be a frustrating, bullshit design.
In almost every instance, I've had to tap the coupler onto the steering box shaft. This meant either tapping on the already installed retainer and risk deforming it OR having the retainer pulled back and tapping on the coupler body directly, then trying to install the clip with the exhaust manifold and brake booster/master cylinder blocking clear access.
THIS is why I chose to use one of these:

Borg 35.JPG

I'm on board with most of Ma Mopar's engineering but that clip is a bullshit idea.

If you're talking about the steel cap with the tabs that get bent over the coupler housing then yes, I can at least tell you what worked for me. The trick is clamping it tight where you're compressing the rubber seal while holding the cap firmly in place then just take a dull chisel and work the tabs down tight.
I don't think that what the OP is talking about. I bought two of the coupler repair kits and 2 of these spring clips and can't figure out how to use the spring clips. I had already made the repair like @747mopar said, but those spring clips are beyond me. Total waste of money and time.

Pretty good Video here Starts at about 14 minutes in. Its an A body but the deal is the same.

That's it, mine came from Detroit Muscle. The video of putting it on didn't help much, but was very good on the repair kit.

Pretty good Video here Starts at about 14 minutes in. Its an A body but the deal is the same.

Too bad he installed the shoes wrong. (From the video)...
Screenshot_20230105-230632_YouTube.jpg

They should be orientated like this...
Capture (1).PNG

The flat part of the shoe goes toward the shaft, beveled goes away from the shaft so it can pivot inside of the coupler body. The way he installed them the coupler will bind.

That's it, mine came from Detroit Muscle. The video of putting it on didn't help much, but was very good on the repair kit.
My kit didn't come with one of those nor have I ever seen one while taking an original apart?

Too bad he installed the shoes wrong. (From the video)...
View attachment 1397669

They should be orientated like this...
View attachment 1397674
The flat part of the shoe goes toward the shaft, beveled goes away from the shaft so it can pivot inside of the coupler body. The way he installed them the coupler will bind.
Yup... Didnt notice that.. But you are correct.

This clip.?

Not sure I have a secret on how.
But ..ive done a couple of them.
And hands down its much much easier with the column out of the car.

20230106_152737.jpg

Is this a repair part as I have never seen that wire clip on an original car. I do have 2 reproduction clips.

Is this a repair part as I have never seen that wire clip on an original car. I do have 2 reproduction clips.
Chrysler tsb over the counter part from back in the day.

Never factory installed that im aware of.

This clip.?

Not sure I have a secret on how.
But ..ive done a couple of them.
And hands down its much much easier with the column out of the car.

View attachment 1397979
Thanks, Yes this clip. You guys are great!! I have the exhaust manifold off so I can get to it pretty easy, the end cap of the coupler if falling off so to get it to stay where I need it and get the spring on at the same time seems about impossible. I might try to do a little bending so its not so tight to get on or something and make another run at it..

Is this the clip you are referring to? Mega Parts and Detroit Muscle Technology sell decent ones. I have bought them from other vendors and they needed to be modified to fit.
3" Steering Coupler Clamp 1966-72 A/B/E-Body, Steering Column Parts, 181-SCC101 Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts
Thanks, you know what.... I think your right, its sprung a little tight.. Maybe a pair of linemans pliers and a vice is my answer here.. I appreciate that.. Jay

I helped put one on a Roadrunner and I believe I had to do some subtle bending of the wire to better conform to the coupler dimensions. That helped make it difficult to get into the roll pin holes, versus impossible to get into the roll pin holes. I think the best thing would be to work it on a bench and tweak it until it fits. I think it was the 45 +/- deg wire bends before the 90 deg bends to snap in the roll pin hole, that I had to relax a little. I think.

Auto Transport Service
Back