• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any one have side pipes on their ride ??

So with side pipes is there any type of muffler in it or just straight pipe from the engine to the exit ?

Dad had a 57 chev with a regular 350 in it with dual exhaust with Thrush mufflers on it which were not much more than a section of fatter pipe in the exhaust system that went out the back of the car and it was very loud but had a nice crackle to it

So with side pipes is there any type of muffler in it or just straight pipe from the engine to the exit ?

Dad had a 57 chev with a regular 350 in it with dual exhaust with Thrush mufflers on it which were not much more than a section of fatter pipe in the exhaust system that went out the back of the car and it was very loud but had a nice crackle to it
Side pipes have mufflers or you can run them straight.....at least the ones I'm familiar with are that way.

I had the hot, chrome ones with no shield like these...... must have been baffled somewhat, they didn't sound like open headers

1692283940911.png

Here ya go, they’re NOS, they’re vintage, and for sale by a member here for a really decent price. Snag em up!

FOR SALE - Doug Thorley, NOS side pipes.

Here ya go, they’re NOS, they’re vintage, and for sale by a member here for a really decent price. Snag em up!

FOR SALE - Doug Thorley, NOS side pipes.
Hmm I thought he had posted a picture in this thread about them but now it is gone
But there was only a picture of the mesh shell
Did not know he had the inside part also
Thanks for the link

Hmm I thought he had posted a picture in this thread about them but now it is gone
But there was only a picture of the mesh shell
Did not know he had the inside part also
Thanks for the link
FYI, he got the post taken down because he offered it for sale on this thread. This isn't a sale or parts wanted thread.

No worries Just wish there was a notice that the pictures I was looking at had disappeared and I was not loosing my mind if I ever saw them in the first place :)
I have been talking with him through pm from his sale ad

had a big block 69 vette we took it on one 120 mi trip it vibrated the ear drums , wife said no more , so I left the factory pipes with al shields on for looks and put stock duals on . never seen them on a mopar up here yet

had a big block 69 vette we took it on one 120 mi trip it vibrated the ear drums , wife said no more , so I left the factory pipes with al shields on for looks and put stock duals on . never seen them on a mopar up here yet
Lots of people did that back in the day.....

No worries Just wish there was a notice that the pictures I was looking at had disappeared and I was not loosing my mind if I ever saw them in the first place :)
I have been talking with him through pm from his sale ad
Yep, if someone offers to sell something in a non sale forum and we see it, the post will be gone. If you respond to the sale offer, your post will be gone to. It's the rules here. It's not allowed.

Lots of people did that back in the day.....
Just an FYI...
The Dodge Viper ran side pipes from
1992 to 1996. From there they went
to a single muffler dual exhaust.
Too many were burning their legs
getting out or the car due the deep
bolsters on the seats, and the little
extra effort of egress. My ex-boss
being one of the victims.

Thanks for all the replies
One of my concerns was how loud and annoying such a set up would be in the long run
Sounds like the fun might wear off ....

I looked at the link for the nice set of chrome pipes from Bill
Passed on them as there was no mounting hardaware and for me $300 US turns into $600 Canadian pretty quick by the time I get them in my hands

So the evolution from the original idea

Think I will put regular dual exhaust on my car right out the back but round up a set of side pipes when I come across them for the look I want and hook them up with a set of electric cut outs so I can play when I want and turn them off again for the longer rides

I had them on a Road Runner in 75. They lasted maybe 1 month before I took them off, drove me crazy on the highway and you had to watch them on curbs and such. On my 08 Viper they are no problem, I think they suck on a V8 though.

Corvettes (C2 anyway) use chambered pipes - a perforated pipe inside a larger, periodically crimped, outer pipe. Exhaust moves in and out of the perforations and there is some science the turbulence and counter flow out of the outer pipe colliding with exhaust in the inner pipe, cancels sound waves out, muffling the exhaust. But not very effectively
IMG_1621.jpeg
IMG_1620.jpeg

Hello 70sublime
I Have 2 foot long side pipes on my blown Roadrunner and I hate the look and there loud . It’s in the shop right now getting new exhaust put on .

My dual exit side exhaust use "Purple Hornies" glasspack mufflers (no crossover tube) and are good and loud. In the future I plan on adding some kind of resonators to quiet it down just a tad.

Hello 70sublime
I Have 2 foot long side pipes on my blown Roadrunner and I hate the look and there loud . It’s in the shop right now getting new exhaust put on .
Did you put the side pipes on originally or was it a car you bought with them on already ?

No, it didn’t come with side pipes. I had a 440x6 pack in it and when I had the blower engine built I put them on it.
You might like them on there but i just didn’t like it.
i can send you a picture of it an maybe that will help you decide for yourself . This is the only picture I have on my iPad of it. I got more on my phone from the side if want to see them .

75E01CB4-1834-4F29-9BFC-44E4EC3C0FD2.png

Auto Transport Service
Back