• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any one have side pipes on their ride ??

70 sublime

Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
I am building a 70 Charger
It has a 440 6 pack four speed set up in it ( was a 318 auto car in it's first life )
It is going to be FJ5 bright green in colour ( was dark green F8 originaly )
Not going to be a clone R/T kind of car with a tail stripe
Thinking of adding a second colour like a factory dark green on the side from the doors back kind of like they did on Dick Landy cars style of paint job

So if this has not been enough to make it a little different I have been thinking about side pipes for exhaust
One of those things I have always wanted to try as thought they look cool but not sure if I wil like the out come

I do love the sound of a Mopar with dual exhaust out the back of the car

Are side pipes stupid loud from inside the car if going on long drives and will get old very fast ?

Has anybody put them on their car and wished they had not and took them off again ?

My car is now running and just have a cross over pipe on it to keep the exhaust from dumping on the starter

IMG_20230506_200216462.jpg

IMG_20230506_200121289.jpg

IMG_20230807_160541128.jpg

I have a 66 Corvette with chambered side pipes. If you go to large enough inner core pipe (2-1/2 or 3”) they get extremely loud. Smaller than that they are quieter but start to be restrictive if you have a lot of power. Also, without rigging up some sort of H pipe and leaving the intake cross over open, they tend to not sound as good as an under-car H-pipe exhaust system.

Been there, done that with a '66 Corvette. Had the quieter set up. One road trip and my wife had enough, and she was the prime reason I bought that car instead of another Mopar. On a B body, I'd stay with a rear exhaust.

Alix Corvette.jpg

I don’t have side pipes, but I have side exit. I used 2.5 inch T/A &AAR mufflers then had exit pipes bent. Not loud at all, almost wish it had a little more bark. Maybe some more HP’s will help.
Sorry no pics. And the car is stuck in the garage under a re-roofing job.

late 80s I had a ratty 68 ragtop vette with side pipes.......... would still be cool today, but only if it remained ratty

Never had side pipes on any car I've ever owned but just about all of them since the mid 70's have had straight pipes. Most recent ones are my 97 Dodge diesel and a 95 V6 Dakota. My 66 Belvedere /6 sounded pretty cool and the Dakota had a really strange sound in the upper rpm range especially on the down shift. The 66 had a sound all of it's own. Btw, still have the 97 and the 95.....and have the 66 still but it's still apart.

Every one has an opinion on looks and that is fine
You do not have to do it to your car
I am more wondering about sound and the noise factor from the driver seat

Another thought for anyone that had them in the past
What do you do about the engine movement and then mounting the pipe solid at the rocker so close to the engine ?

I have side pipes on an AC Cobra. They are loud, hot, and hard to get out of the car without searing your legs even with the shields. You learn real fast to stay away from them.

However they are part of what makes a Cobra, so they belong there. A 70 Charger not so much.

You'll probably regret putting them on, but you only live once. Go for it if that's your dream. You can always change it later once you get tired of them.

Tom

20230412_190155.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a right hand drive Cobra or is the negative reversed?

I have the Challenger T/A exhaust on my 71 Challenger convertible. I love cracking the pipes with the top down, you get the full effect of side exit exhaust! I have side pipes on the PERV Van too. PERV stands for Pete's Excellent Recreational Vehicle!

20221111_125934.jpg

20221015_221223.jpg

20221015_164702.jpg

side pipes... it's a Chevy thing.
Not when you ain't got no choice. LOL.
Had to run mine out the side.
To answer 70 sublime,
Yes they are 'louder' and can get
annoying with the incorrect muffler.
I use a seldom mentioned brands on
my build. Bassani is a "built for racing"
muffler, and have engineered their