• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any opinions about radiator mounting?

Speedbird

Bird of Pray
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
I went to install a quality reproduction radiator in a 67 B body.
It fit.
The slotted ears went down on the lower screws.
The upper holes were good.
So all for mounting points were good.
(Four white points in first picture)
However I noticed that the tank was really resting on the cross member.
(Red arrow in second picture.)
I don't know if this is a good thing since radiators expand and contract and the brass bottom tank would be sitting on the steel frame.
And the front radius of the tank bottom did not seem match the front radius of the steel.
So the assembly would be sort of stressed if I were to tighten the bottom mounting fasteners.
It would have worked, but I have put duplicate mounting points just above the factory points to raise the radiator about 1/4 inch to alleviate the potential bind and it works better.
Does anyone have an original radiator in a B body to compare the way it was done?
If there is a gap between the bottom tank and the frame that might confirm my thoughts.

Oh, by the way. I haven't measured it yet. But I don't have a lot of clearance to put in a viscous clutch. I have read about the Hayden "Jaguar" ones with a short snout.
Any suggestions on a fan assembly with this 440 would be appreciated.
I may just have to run a simple fan without a clutch.

Attachments

• 20160325_161235 (Large).jpg
    20160325_161235 (Large).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 20160325_184624 (Large).jpg
    20160325_184624 (Large).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 252
Are you installing a U.S. radiator brand? My POS U.S. radiator fit like what you are describing.

I don't want to trash a manufacturer on the internet since we don't have that many choices in people trying to make this stuff.
But I will show you a picture of the radiator in question verses an original radiator that I had recored locally.
The Road Runner original is on the left. The one I bought for the 67 is on the right.
Unfortunately I didn't have an oringal radiator for the 67 car to have it recored.
And I didn't want to spend 1200 dollars since the 67 is a resto mod.
Well, I didn't want to spend 1200 dollar anyway.
(To be clear. It is NOT this manufacturer)
http://www.restorationradiators.com/products.asp?cat=1

But you know what?
Even with an original car, MOPAR did some stuff that would make the OE Gold Judges at a show look dumb.
Judge: "Hey, this radiator support doesn't have the correct hardware".
Owner: "But that is the way the car came from the factory on a Friday afternoon. The workers were drunk"
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?56462-Radiator-support-oddity

Attachments

• Radiator.jpg
    Radiator.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 151
I had my original re-cored and restored by Glenn-Ray Radiators.

It looks absolutely brand new, handled added A/C and stop and go traffic in mid 90'5 temperature without breaking a sweat, and fits absolutely perfect.

Absolutely worth every penny. Plus, they are a stand-up honest family owned business who stand by their work. I highly recommend this route.

IMG_4277.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

Does it touch the bottom of the radiator frame?
Is it from a later B body?
But still I would like to know how the engineers fit it in the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back