• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any recommended upgrades for a 318

Satellite74

Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
Just out of interest are there any recommended performance upgrades for a stock 318 , I am going to be looking at doing some work on the block so I am just wondering what you guys might recommend,any suggestions????

Put in a 440!! Lol!! Stroker kit, make it a 408-416...... you will like it!!

Just out of interest are there any recommended performance upgrades for a stock 318 , I am going to be looking at doing some work on the block so I am just wondering what you guys might recommend,any suggestions????

a block is a block is a block.....stroke that sucker and add a good roller cam...lightning in a bottle

Several things to consider:
You have to decide:
1. What you are willing to spend
2 How much performance you want
3. How mild or radical you want it to be.

Take into account where most of your driving will be done...open road, city traffic, getting stuck in rush hour, etc. Answer these questions and you will get much better answers that will suit your application.

For about $200-$250 you can get JY 302 heads to boost comp, and a Summit6900/ 6901 cam.

For another $200 or less you can get a swap meet performer intake and 600 CFM carb

Should add 50 HP or more.

Add dual exhaust, even if you don't put headers on it.

- - - Updated - - -

What year 318? in what car? What trans and rear?

Thanks for the info,it gave me a much better understanding and plenty of options:thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

cheers for the help guys sorry to be so vague on the details before its from a stock 74 satellite sebring 3 speed auto,in terms of use its gonna be for purely fun on small english roads, so as nice as the 440 would be probably a bit overkill :icon_sad: , as for budget who can tell yet..

Thanks for the info,it gave me a much better understanding and plenty of options:thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

cheers for the help guys sorry to be so vague on the details before its from a stock 74 satellite sebring 3 speed auto,in terms of use its gonna be for purely fun on small english roads, so as nice as the 440 would be probably a bit overkill :icon_sad: , as for budget who can tell yet..

There is something, IMHO, to be said about sticking with a 318 and NOT go the 440 route. I know, I know, there is no replacement for... but for a fun car that doesn't require tons of gas to fuel, the 318 can be a pretty fun motor to build and besides: It is a different path to go down and you already have the engine! So with that being said, I'd say check around on the web as Hot Rod Mag and a few other have built 318's in the over 400 HP range. But if you want an off the cuff answer, the best thing to do is basic hotrodding 101 stuff- Better intake, better exhaust (duals at the min, headers if you can) better cam and whatever you do- don't over carb the engine!! Holly Double Pumpers need not apply!! The heads don't flow that great on 318 so you can go aftermarket with some Alum Eddy heads OR get a set of '93 and later Magnum heads OR (and this is the path I took) go with the "Swirl Port" heads that they used on the '85-'91 318's. However keep in mind if you go the Magnum route you will need different lifters, rockers, push rods, intake and the like. It's not a 'hard' swap but it does add to the cost. The main thing you'll have to fight with the 318 are these: the fairly low compression that most 318's suffer from, crappy cams (they are real mild) and heads the don't flow great. But basically ANYTHING you do will help get the HP and fun factor up. You can get some good tips here: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/4bbl.html

Last edited:
Sorry. Didn't realize you were in UK.

Prices might be a bit higher.

I don't think my swappedd 440 gets a whole lot worse mpg than my 273 w/ 4 barrel and headers did. I can stay in the primaries and go as fast as the 273 secondaries did.

I say try and get a 383......lots of them around and a lot cheaper then a 440.....but a very good strong running engine........just one opinion............do think the engine mounts would need to be changed if you go with a larger engine....

Hi I am new to the forum and I also am going to start playing with my 74 charger se with 318 only thing not sure about is the camshaft I'm doing solid lifter,(unknown specs yet) about 10:1 CR, 302 or 714 heads, 273 adjustment rockers, air gap intake 750cfm Holley vacation Carb. Any suggestions?

Swapping to a big block is fun to think about, but unless you're one of those guys who have parts and donor cars laying around, its not exactly a low-budget deal. Not everyone wants to go racing, some guys just want to maximize what they'be already got...meaning both cubic inches AND dollars (or pounds, or euros, or whatever). Best advice here is from Dako, be honest about what you want vs what you need vs what you can afford, and that includes the money, time, facilities, and knowlege to maintain what you've built after its "done": if you don't enjoy adjusting valves, stay away from solid cans, if you just LOVE to experiment with jets and ****, get a Holley, etc. Don't dig yourself a money pit, it'll take the fun out of the car, and when its not fun anymore, well, its just not.

Why is it, that whenever someone asks about doing some work to a small block, there are people that need to post "PUT IN A 440"????

They are scared!!!! :icon_fU:

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone got any ideas about solid lifter in 318? Thankx

By the time you stroke a small block, you could have easily bought and installed a mild big block, sure. If you can get a reliable trans w it yer bucks ahead. That torque-y big block is gonna need to breathe, and then its gonna twist up your driveshaft and r&p. Get a radiator and upgrade your t-bars too...or build a nice 275-300 HP small block and enjoy it.

I'm not some commie, I love big blocks and the bragging rights that go along with em. But swapping to a big block is NOT a budget minded activity, and its not what the OP asked about...he wants to warm up his 318 so he can DRIVE it...on ENGLISH backroads...in ENGLAND.

I happen to think a 451 is the engine my Cordoba SHOULD have in it, but it doesn't.

Whats your budget? are you going thru the bottom end for a rebuild or just looking for some HP add ons? Headers, Cam and intake is a good place to start.

Auto Transport Service
Back