• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any RV/Camper members here?

Had a neighbor cover his camper last year and squirrels got into the wiring and did a lot of damage. He says he will not cover it again for the winter.

Ive worked in the RV industry for years and covers are not recommended, due to wind. As others have said they will mark up your trailer with the wind blowing them around and here in New Mexico, if you get a couple of years out of them, you've done good. Also putting that thing on by yourself would be a work out!

NEVER USE A TARP.

You will turn your RV into a terrarium. Moisture gets under the tarp (not a "maybe" - it DOES), gets trapped, and turns into a steam bath because it can't escape. You will rot your RV from the inside-out if you put a tarp on it. That is a decade of experience in RV sales and service talking - it's a guarantee that time under a tarp, will rot your camper.

Now, breathable covers are fine. Think "Evolution 3 car cover", the quilted material. They work fine, because the moisture can vent back out and the camper will dry. However...you really don't have to cover it. What is your thought process for covering? You have a white fiberglass camper with vinyl decals on it, and I presume a rubber roof. They're designed to be out. Worst that could happen is the white 'glass might "chalk" some, or your decals might fade some, but that's about it. Covers don't keep snow load off of them, and they don't really keep dust/dirt off them either because they breathe, and that allows moisture to get OUT...but also allows fine dirt particles to get IN.

There's a product called "Reliable" you can use to keep it clean - once a year (or before every camping trip) simply mix some in a bucket of water and use one of those car wash brushes, and it'll get everything off the sides - dirt, mold, algae, streaks, all of it. No heavy scrubbing required. Works on your awning fabric as well. Wash, rinse well (don't let this stuff sit on the camper, and do NOT use it on your car!!), and go camping.

Maintenance wise? Seal your roof and all your corners and seams (window frame seams, luggage door seams, etc), every year. Pick out anything loose (a 'softer' wire brush works well for this), clean them well, and re-seal. Roof gets a self-leveling sealant (like marshmallow fluff) - put it on thick, let it settle in. Sides get silicone sealant. Use a cleaner/dressing for your slideout rubber gaskets to keep them moist. DO NOT use WD40 or ArmorAll, it will rot the seals.

But, with as easy as it is to clean with Reliable...really, no reason to cover it. If you had a full-body paint motorhome, that would be a different story, but white 'glass with decals...I wouldn't sweat it. My car trailer sits out, doesn't leak, I clean it once in a while with Reliable, and it does just fine - and it's basically an RV without an interior: awning, windows, white aluminum sides, self-level sealant on the roof, 15k a/c... Same for my equipment trailer (silver, not white). Hit 'em with Reliable when they get dirty, just a light rub with the car wash brush on a stick/handle...and they're good to go.

Had a buddy with a real nice 71' rally nova, put it behind his garage for winter one year for space in the garage, with a tarp over it and in the spring the roof was basically back to primer.. tarps and wind do bad things

NEVER USE A TARP.

You will turn your RV into a terrarium. Moisture gets under the tarp (not a "maybe" - it DOES), gets trapped, and turns into a steam bath because it can't escape. You will rot your RV from the inside-out if you put a tarp on it. That is a decade of experience in RV sales and service talking - it's a guarantee that time under a tarp, will rot your camper.

Now, breathable covers are fine. Think "Evolution 3 car cover", the quilted material. They work fine, because the moisture can vent back out and the camper will dry. However...you really don't have to cover it. What is your thought process for covering? You have a white fiberglass camper with vinyl decals on it, and I presume a rubber roof. They're designed to be out. Worst that could happen is the white 'glass might "chalk" some, or your decals might fade some, but that's about it. Covers don't keep snow load off of them, and they don't really keep dust/dirt off them either because they breathe, and that allows moisture to get OUT...but also allows fine dirt particles to get IN.

There's a product called "Reliable" you can use to keep it clean - once a year (or before every camping trip) simply mix some in a bucket of water and use one of those car wash brushes, and it'll get everything off the sides - dirt, mold, algae, streaks, all of it. No heavy scrubbing required. Works on your awning fabric as well. Wash, rinse well (don't let this stuff sit on the camper, and do NOT use it on your car!!), and go camping.

Maintenance wise? Seal your roof and all your corners and seams (window frame seams, luggage door seams, etc), every year. Pick out anything loose (a 'softer' wire brush works well for this), clean them well, and re-seal. Roof gets a self-leveling sealant (like marshmallow fluff) - put it on thick, let it settle in. Sides get silicone sealant. Use a cleaner/dressing for your slideout rubber gaskets to keep them moist. DO NOT use WD40 or ArmorAll, it will rot the seals.

But, with as easy as it is to clean with Reliable...really, no reason to cover it. If you had a full-body paint motorhome, that would be a different story, but white 'glass with decals...I wouldn't sweat it. My car trailer sits out, doesn't leak, I clean it once in a while with Reliable, and it does just fine - and it's basically an RV without an interior: awning, windows, white aluminum sides, self-level sealant on the roof, 15k a/c... Same for my equipment trailer (silver, not white). Hit 'em with Reliable when they get dirty, just a light rub with the car wash brush on a stick/handle...and they're good to go.
Man, I saw the effects of ArmorAll 50 years ago!! So, that crap is still just as bad as it was back then??

Subscribed! :popcorn:

My wife and I had a Coleman pop up camper when the kids were young (with A/C and a slideout, believe it or not!). My wife is retiring in November so we are looking to get a camper next year. We are gravitating towards a "couples camper" but definitely want a slideout. We have been looking at various models so I am in learning mode - hoping I can learn something here as I will need to store mine outside as well.
I don't mean to hijack the thread about covers, but just some experience on choosing campers.
First determine what kind of camping you're going to do -
occasional, traveling, or seasonal.
If it is traveling, then choose a size you are comfortable driving and parking. We are travelers, so the absolute first requirement is access to the refrigerator and bathroom while everything is closed up.
Choose a layout you and your significant other like. List the major must haves in your search, the list can be exhausting. Trust me on this!
Use the online Floorplan in the search, but be sure to see in person the exact model you're interested in.
I could go on for hours, but there are some makes that are a hard no, construction wise. Most here are versed in quality when they see it, and it will be apparent.
Lastly, DO NOT OVER ESTIMATE YOUR TOW VEHICLE!
We've all seen it - the Tacoma pulling a 32 ft travel trailer!!

My weekend was in a tent.. and it was COLD... barely above freezing.. never wanna do that again :) If i were a camper i would get a small teardrop thing.. easy to pull and don't need a massive one..

While we're on the camper subject.. what's the best thing for cleaning out the septic tank. I heard throw in a half a jug of bleach and drive around?

Or dish soap. Fill the tank about halfway, dump in some dish soap and some tank-safe septic pellets, and drive it around for a couple days. Or, just drive it that way to the campground and utilize the hookup / dump station once the tank fills.

But yes, the driving is a good "agitator" to loosen the...um...debris.

I've had all kinds, mostly trailers 5th wheels or goosenecks
27'-43'

I never covered/tarped or any fitted covers on any of them,
I did build a carport to keep them in, when not in use
well worth the $$

Sonora Back property #4 Car Port RV & Boat.JPG

the front got a lil' sun bleached, but the rest stayed well preserved
amazing how much longer they last, & look way better
my last RV/5th wheel was a Jayco Designer, 2002 model
I just sold last year Oct 2022 IIRC, still in great shape,
no mold no rats/mice issues, (sold to a friend for him MIL to stay in)
not the most expensive & not the cheap aluminum-sided junk out there either
no leaks
(my dad wrecked it twice :BangHead: , aside from that, was all good, he put most of the
150k miles on it & my tow rig too, mostly all trouble free going all over the country
)
It's not the cheap way to do it, or store it, but pays off in the long run
tires also last longer, but if you plan on owning a few over time, it's a great investment...

sun & snow or even rain, dust pollen etc., are brutal on them daily

I had a nice Class A Motorhome too (they age in dog years too)
97 Safari Serengeti, Magnum Chassis/Diesel pusher/Allison 5 speed $150k rig,
I got for $100k out the door on clearance
I sold for the bargain price of $110k (killer deal for the guy) when I was done with it in 2002
it was also kept under a carport/cover when not in use too

the photo below is the day I sold it,
still in great shape, everything still worked 100%
very lil' fade or sun bleach, no leaks, you always see on trailers & MHs
& I bought the Jayco trailer above (wish I kept the MH)
& the 2002 F350 4x4 dually bellow, I drove or my dad drove/used both for 20 years
(All my race trailers were kept under a carport or in my warehouse too,
huge investments, need to be treated as such, $$ well spent
)
Budnicks 97 Safari Serengeti #2 Motorhome Cat Pusher PS.jpg

I keep all my stuff under a carport or in the garage sun & winter here
ages them like crazy otherwise
my old tow rig
Budnicks 2002 F350 4x4 dually #1.JPG

RVs/Trailers/Campers, already age in dog years like 6-7 years to every 1
very few are actually taken care of, like they need to be

even a wood lean-too off the side of your house
would be better than it exposed all year round, it's a decent investment to own
needs to be taken care of the same as a nice car would

my opinions anyway

2002 F350 Powr Stroke Diesel Dually & 27' Jayco Designer Trailer 002.JPG

While we're on the camper subject.. what's the best thing for cleaning out the septic tank. I heard throw in a half a jug of bleach and drive around?
The best thing to scrub out the black water tank is dump bags of ice in it literally right before you leave with some water. It will clean as it sloshes back n forth while driving. Then all you have to do is drain it. This is also good for cleaning up the gauge in the tank if its hung up and reads full all the time.

NEVER USE A TARP.

Never thinking of a tarp. I want one more for sun and leaves, I literally live on top of a mountain in the woods. The breathable one would be ideal. After seeing what happened to others I will probably put an R/V car Port up next fall. As far as snow we don't get much snow anymore so that is not an issue.

Had a neighbor cover his camper last year and squirrels got into the wiring and did a lot of damage. He says he will not cover it again for the winter.
Sadly that stuff can happen covered, uncovered indoors or outside. I keep our boat inside and this year when I got it out a mouse had chewed into the top of the seat making a hole the size of a nickel. Pissed me off you can see it on the port side top of seat. I literally just cleaned it outside and inside this morning and put it back in storage before the monsoons hit this weekend!

IMG_4059.jpeg

My dad & stepmother always had campers,
a PU truck (usually a Ford F250 or a 350 Camper special)
with a cab-over camper on it, with leveling jacks
usually a SixPack brand Camper too, my dad had a thing for them :realcrazy:

Not the best & not the worst brand bay far, but too small for a family
with 5 kids in tow everywhere, 3 teen boys & 2 sub teen girls & 2 adults
it was always tight but we managed (Me & my StepBros Tim usually slept outside)

I saw a lot of the USA in that lil' POS, (it really wasn't a POS)
saw a lot of wet sleeping bags in the mornings sleeping outside of it too
Had the lil' sink, lil' stove/oven, lil' fridge, a few 12vt lights
not a real shitter or NO shower/tub, just a lil' sink with sort of a composter shitter
I usually ****/showered somewhere else (at the campground facilities),
they rigged up a cold shower & a bucket with a toilet seat on it
in a black plastic shower-curtin-type enclosure outside of it, 'to do our duties'
or clean off
& nowhere near enough storage/ever, not for 7 people
SixPack IT was just way too small of a camper, 12'-14' maybe 16' (? IIRC)
the biggest we could get on the truck back then...
I had a lot of fun traveling & seeing the sites, surprising what you will put up with
as a kid...

(I swore when I ever got something, trailer or RV, it'd be bigger than I ever needed)

Last edited:
With the black tank you can put ice in and drive around and let it knock the deposits loose. If it real bad and that doesn't work, we use muriatic acid here at work, gotta be careful with it though and not leave it in too long.

Auto Transport Service
Back