• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Texans in the House - Potential Relo

My brother bought a couple acres of bare land on Lake Travis in the Hudson Bend area 35 years ago, built a nice home & watched the area change... Out where his place is is still pretty decent but the whole area is so built up & the attitudes of people has changed, use to be live & let live, now people can't mind their own damn business....

I really like the hill country because it's vast. You can be in the hills and be nowhere near Austin or San Antonio.

If I may ask, what's wrong with Laguna Bch?

Where in CA are you settled? As Kiwi has asked us not to go political - I promise I won’t. But I should be able to say the area is beautiful as is pretty much all of OC. Let me just say it’s not really or just Laguna Beach - it’s a statewide stench and culture that I just can’t abide by any longer, particularly since I’m in the 4th quarter of life. Read some of my other posts on this thread and you should know as a CA guy to. If you live in the Central Valley it’s somewhat different than the coastal areas. But at the end of the day it’s CA in all it’s inglorious progress. Enough said.

I'm in SoCal, inland Rancho Cucamonga. You will not find anywhere in the nation with better weather-and that's very important to me. Pretty much any southern coastal area from Santa Barbara down to San Diego is the best anywhere. Central coast is very good, Norths a different animal. I am amazed at the disgusting folks running this state but with that said it doesn't really bother me, as in ignore them, as far as I run my business, go home, relax, go to car shows etc no reason for me to leave here, ever. I never drive into LA county if I can help it. I lived in LA County all my life, lastly in Diamond Bar moved here 11 years ago and I never realized how much better San Bernardino co is over LA co. I'm pretty much left to my own desire and do as I said.
As long as I wasn't in a condo at the beach I can't see anything much better as a single family home in a southern coastal city.
But we all do as we see fit.

I'm in SoCal, inland Rancho Cucamonga. You will not find anywhere in the nation with better weather-and that's very important to me. Pretty much any southern coastal area from Santa Barbara down to San Diego is the best anywhere. Central coast is very good, Norths a different animal. I am amazed at the disgusting folks running this state but with that said it doesn't really bother me, as in ignore them, as far as I run my business, go home, relax, go to car shows etc no reason for me to leave here, ever. I never drive into LA county if I can help it. I lived in LA County all my life, lastly in Diamond Bar moved here 11 years ago and I never realized how much better San Bernardino co is over LA co. I'm pretty much left to my own desire and do as I said.
As long as I wasn't in a condo at the beach I can't see anything much better as a single family home in a southern coastal city.
But we all do as we see fit.

unfortunately for me Incan no longer ignore it - and over the past couple of years have taken it deeply personal. I wish I could ignore but can no longer. Weather isn’t the essence of life.

unfortunately for me Incan no longer ignore it - and over the past couple of years have taken it deeply personal. I wish I could ignore but can no longer. Weather isn’t the essence of life.

Good luck in your search. Can you take a few more with you, way too many people here

Native Texan here, born and raised but I've lived in NY/NJ and Chicago before for work. Im not really getting people wanting to move here it's not as cheap as you may think especially in Dallas fort worth area. Property tax can be a killer, no state income so they make up for that with high property tax rate. My parents house in fort worth was 80k, but those prices are a distant memory with how popular DFW is now. Houses are going for 600-700k which blows my mind, might as well be in long island.

I would definitely advise against Austin, the property values are out of whack and there is not much open land available because of how the lakes and hill country terrain hems you in plus how much industry and rich out of staters are there. And the highway system there is a complete mess. If you want hill country, go southwest towards Kerrville and boerne west of San Antonio. But there isn't much work out there.

If you need work and reasonable cost of living my pick is Houston. My favorites are fort bend county, Conroe, the woodlands, Tomball. Montgomery county and northeast Houston like New Waverly or kingwood. These are close to the Sam Houston national forest and the terrain is not what would expect in Texas, pine forests. You can get a nice house with land for half to 75% less than what it would cost in Austin or DFW. Houston gets a bad rap from the rest of Texas but it has a lot going for it. Work is one, cheap housing another.

I think you folks would love Iowa.
Sure the wages are less but the cost of living is mabey 1/2 of were you are.
Most everyone is friendly and if your lifestyle is urban you have that on each side plus the center.

Besides Cranky - I’ve spent business time in Houston and never really liked it or saw myself there. In contrast going to Austin on business w/o knowing anything about the liberal nature - I immediately thought I could live there and spent extra time to scope it out. Now I know a bit more about certain things there that are giving me cause for pause. But the attraction is the Hill Country beauty and nature offerings there.
I stay out of Houston as much as possible. Used to live within the city limits and was centrally located with family members, friends and job but as family and friends moved, I found myself out on the edge so to speak plus Houston city services suck!! Need a cop in Houston? Make the call and then turn on the TV because the wait time will be 45 minutes minimum....plus my home flooded 3 times and that's when I decided to get out and headed east. Now I'm 9 miles from Galveston Bay and on fairly high ground and after 37 years, no high water even in the street. Hey, I know someone that has some property in the Big Thicket for sale :D

Drive straight to Texas, head east, then north into Missouri. I don't know about God's country, but It's not bad.

I stay out of Houston as much as possible. Used to live within the city limits and was centrally located with family members, friends and job but as family and friends moved, I found myself out on the edge so to speak plus Houston city services suck!! Need a cop in Houston? Make the call and then turn on the TV because the wait time will be 45 minutes minimum....plus my home flooded 3 times and that's when I decided to get out and headed east. Now I'm 9 miles from Galveston Bay and on fairly high ground and after 37 years, no high water even in the street. Hey, I know someone that has some property in the Big Thicket for sale :D

Yeah cranky I get you, Im talking more about the north or southwest suburbs. Houston proper is not my ideal location either. Austin within city limits is a better city in that regard.

Whatever you do, make sure to visit a few times to make sure you like the place. Since the pandemic there are out of state folks who parachute into a place like Weatherford (DFW) based on developer advertisements and a huge house without seeing the place ahead of time. That's part of the reason DFW prices are going up and up. I go between Houston and Dallas for work and have seen the changes firsthand, Dallas area homes don't stay on the market for more than a few days even now in the winter.

Yeah cranky I get you, Im talking more about the north or southwest suburbs. Houston proper is not my ideal location either. Austin within city limits is a better city in that regard.

Whatever you do, make sure to visit a few times to make sure you like the place. Since the pandemic there are out of state folks who parachute into a place like Weatherford (DFW) based on developer advertisements and a huge house without seeing the place ahead of time. That's part of the reason DFW prices are going up and up. I go between Houston and Dallas for work and have seen the changes firsthand, Dallas area homes don't stay on the market for more than a few days even now in the winter.
Houses around my area don't last long either and most times there's not even a for sale sign posted. There is one house at the end of the street (cul-de-sac) that has had a sign up for about 3 weeks now but it's right next to a jr. college and one of the streets where the majority of the parking lots are so it's pretty noisy. I'm about 900 feet away and can hear a lot of the noise but can't hear anything inside my house. Can only imagine with it's like inside that one lol. Think they've only owned it for a couple of years.....and prices have gone up quite a bit here too but everything out here is on at least 1/2 acre and is one of a few neighborhoods that have bigger than a regular lot and that's a big draw.

Thank God we have first world problems. Not sure where to live, when we can live ANYWHERE we want.

where would that be - Shepard TX perhaps? What would your point be?
Shepherd is in a county with 1 traffic light. Bedroom community to Houston. 45 minutes N of N edge of Houston. Wife was raised in Llano edge of Hill County. She has lived her for 5 years. She thinks it is sorta normal here, LOL. Disclaimer: I lived in very rural Missouri 37 years. I hate cities and usually people that live in them. No offense intended to anyone!
Missouri, in general, is a somewhat low income state, low taxes, and low r/e costs compared to much of Tx. Thus Overpaid and underworked.
Most high end people from the high end parts of Ca. would look at my lifestyle and die laughing. But you could not pay me to have theirs!!!!
I wager you would love the (sorta) edge of the Austin area.
My opinion is Houston is a chit hole overall. Good medical though!
Good luck!

Other than very brief stents, I've lived in the country my whole life. I enjoyed living in Lacy Lakeview(Waco). Ft. Worth, not so much!
Lately we've kicked the idea around of moving to town. At our age it would be advantageous to be closer to doctors, hospitals and general services. However, I don't trust any of the Dr. Quackn' ......... physicians in this town anyway. Other than the yearly check ups, we take our medical needs to Dallas.
Do your research before you make a "knee jerk" decision.
I can't justify the crazy property tax in Wichita county. Legalized rape!
Guess we'll see it through to the end, in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about that Barbee, Houston is the #1 medical center in the entire world. Becomes more important as we get older. My parents live in rural Parker County Texas now but looking to move closer to the VA and main hospitals for their medical needs.

I forgot about that Barbee, Houston is the #1 medical center in the entire world. Becomes more important as we get older. My parents live in rural Parker County Texas now but looking to move closer to the VA and main hospitals for their medical needs.
I live in Spring which is a suburb of Houston and it is getting ruined by urban sprawl. I just bought land further out in Huntsville. The big medical centers are opening up in the larger more rural cities now. Houston is unfortunately becoming a center for high crime like all the other liberal run cities. I wouldn’t retire too close to Houston or any major city. It’s scary knowing there’s more than one murder a day. Look at the crime stats before you decide.

Auto Transport Service
Back