• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Unique Christmas/Holiday Traditions?

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
So the holidays are a special time when we get together with family and celebrate. Most of us get together with family and open gifts.

For me, being of Swedish heritage, my side of the family opens our gifts on Christmas eve. We have a "Jul bord", or Christmas table (i.e. Smorgasbord) where we eat a big lunch and drink lots of schnapps while singing goofy drinking songs. After lunch, we sit around the tree and open presents one at a time. On Christmas day, my wife and I spend time with her side of the family. It works out great and there is peace and harmony in the families since each family has us present for the big celebration!

But the the above is not so unique. However, my family also has an annual cookie bake every year. It started out as a way for everyone to get together and work towards making all the types of cookies we would enjoy over Christmas. However, it has morphed into a big party, where we all make a gingerbread cookie "creation" that is judged by everyone. We then make big, silly speeches about our creations (no one wins anything, but the competition is fierce). We have a great time!

Do any of you have some unique/ fun traditions that are unique and fun?

20171217_190807.jpg

Growing up we always had hamburgers & fries Christmas Eve...quick & easy, followed by present opening. The wife's family opened presents Christmas morning. For the last 37yrs we have combined...kept the burgers & fries on Christmas Eve and opened presents Christmas morning. Grandson now asks, weeks in advance...if they are coming over for burgers. I think the tradition will live on.

1st Christmas without dad, mom feeling it: together 65 yrs, married 61: Its for mom now, making adjustments, but she INSISTS on baking, choc chip cookies, GONE!! :lol:

When I was a kid we would go to my dads parents for Christmas, didn’t matter if you were sick or not, you better be there! :lol: . It was a day full of ping pong, pool, and football. Since my grandfather passed away in 2015 that’s over with, the family hardly gets together anymore. Now it seems the tradition is between my parents, brother and I, we try to find at least one gag gift, and just hang out all day. Sadly as we’ve gotten older some family disputes, death, and just distance has separated a lot of the family. As long as I can hang with my parents and my brother I’m fine

We set up an aluminum pole and other fun activities.

When I was a teenager, Clark Motor Company, the local Plymouth dealership, had treats and drinks for customers, and my family would always stop by. I never missed a holiday visit there, up until owner Julie Clark passed, in 1997.

Auto Transport Service
Back