• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Walabot (stud-finder) users?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
Looking to buy this Walabot stud finder, well my kids are wanting to get me a Christmas gift. Looks quite worthy as far as the reviews I’ve read. I’ve got two Zircon finders and have found those to be miss & hits to my irritation over the years. Last one I bought was an upscale model that didn’t seem better than the cheaper one I have.

The DIY 2 model is also reported as good for lath & plaster walls; something that would be most handy as my kids have ancient houses with those walls. Last week I cut a hole in a wall for some recessed fixtures and amazed what the Zircon didn’t inform me of. Quick guess is they don’t work for a l&p wall.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

1700842742016.png

I am interested as well. I have a Zircon also, and it tends to work OK. It can get confused around door jams or corners pretty easy. If this is a better tool I am all ears.

Looking to buy this Walabot stud finder, well my kids are wanting to get me a Christmas gift. Looks quite worthy as far as the reviews I’ve read. I’ve got two Zircon finders and have found those to be miss & hits to my irritation over the years. Last one I bought was an upscale model that didn’t seem better than the cheaper one I have.

The DIY 2 model is also reported as good for lath & plaster walls; something that would be most handy as my kids have ancient houses with those walls. Last week I cut a hole in a wall for some recessed fixtures and amazed what the Zircon didn’t inform me of. Quick guess is they don’t work for a l&p wall.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

View attachment 1562618
I have one of those Zircon ones and it seems to get me close. It mainly reacts on nails or is that what they are supposed to do? Anyways, since I have some years experience around new home construction, it's not all that hard for me to find where the studs are IF they were built according to standards. Once the finder alerts, I'll start tapping then when I feel good about where the stud is and where the edges are, I'll use a very thin brad nail (if the little holes are going to be covered but the tiny holes are nearly hidden) to determine that. The house I have was built by morons so sometimes finding what should be there isn't always easy. When I put on the first new roof replacement, I found full sheets of plywood with nails only in the corners....and the list goes on.

I sent this to my wife, she don't need no stinking stud finder,stud found! Lol. She laughed!

20210411_102320.jpg

have one of those Zircon ones
Yeah my hit ratio has been on and then at times not so much, 16 on center – which one, lol. Have used tiny drill bits to check here and there. OLD houses another trick. Did chair railing few months ago and more of this planed in other rooms; fancy wall framing and such. This gadget sounds pretty nifty, if it is what it purports to be. Will see.

I used to use a finish nail,find one stud and go 16 on center in both directions.

Never needed one, but
reviews show these to be
pretty good at finding
studs.

Last edited:
electrical receptacle or switch boxes are usually mounted on studs so, i pull the cover off to see what side they're mounted to and measure in 16" o.c. from there.

The new LED recessed lights by Halo can be mounted right over a joist (if necessary) as they are very shallow. Days of the big rough-in cans are history.

Auto Transport Service
Back