• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any winch recommendations...yeah or neagh......

A cover on a dyneema rope is for UV protection
and to keep dirt off of it. They don't rot. Another
point of installation is to use nylon rollers in
the fairlead. Smittybuilt makes a descent 10K,
and I know of many 4-wheelers using them.
They work fine, but to me, seemed to have a
slower retrieval rate than a Warn does.

Well it is for a car trailer, so maybe under load with cable in and out how many times a month will it get used? A HF with a snatch block an the extended warranty could serve you well enough. Since, I think the HF's come with a steel cable, I'd use that (remember to throw a blanket over the cable when winching) till you screw it up then think about a synthetic rope. Both syn. rope and steel cable have Pros and Cons.
A big point is what is the amount of time the winch can operate (run time/cycle on/off rate). I think it is called ''duty cycle''.

Last edited:
I just changed the cable on my trailer to syn rope and I really like it. Yes it can break and be damaged but its a lot easier to work with IMO.

I have an 8000# Warn on my trailer.
Purchased a wiring kit from them that goes to the power block on my truck to the plug in on my rear bumper. Plug the winch in and your good to go.
Pulled a 64 Impala out of the dirt with frozen brakes for a friend of mine no problem.

I'm actually using the smallest, cheapest $50 HF winch and it does just fine (2500# rated IIRC) pulling my B body cars and 1/2 ton trucks around on reasonably level non-paved ground and up my car dolly ramps.

My only complaint is that it's too fast!
...although the cheap wireless remote failed after the first year.
I simply removed the controller box and wired in a DPDT toggle because the "quality" replacement remote units cost more than the winch!

Before that I had their marine winch which lasted almost 12 years being left outside attached to the dolly. I would buy that one again.

I've since made an easy removeable bracket system so I can basically clip it on and off to store indoors.

years ago I had great luck with Mile Maker Winches
they have discounts for military & 10% sales on their site too
they have electric & hydraulic winches,
many sizes & weight/lift ratings to choose from
or utility winches too, all American sourced made products

https://milemarker.com

good luck

I bought a HF 12,000 lb winch.
I was in a bind and had to go drag a GM crew cab dually with a locked up rear end onto my trailer the next day, had no time to find any other winch in time.
(I'm a buy American guy)
I put a 1000 amp deep cycle battery in the tool box, that winch didn't even come close to stalling dragging that heavy *** truck up on the trailer.
I've used it a few times to drag my car up at the strip, pretty handy, no complaints.
I did buy a cover for it.

I've done that to get a car off my dolly a few times.

Update on an old thread, I decided to go with a newer Warn 5 ton winch with the synthetic rope and remote control. As I usually load old clunkers by myself and the wireless remote sounded like a big plus. The safety of the synthetic rope was also a factor in my purchase. Plan is to mount winch on a receiver type pan and make that mount on my trailer so simple removal is easy. Thanks for your opinions Guys, plan is to use it next weekend to drag a 69 Satellite that has been sitting in the woods for twenty years, out and get it loaded up. Got some snatch blocks for use as I m sure this body will have locked up wheels.

IMG_0318.jpg

Update on an old thread, I decided to go with a newer Warn 5 ton winch with the synthetic rope and remote control. As I usually load old clunkers by myself and the wireless remote sounded like a big plus. The safety of the synthetic rope was also a factor in my purchase. Plan is to mount winch on a receiver type pan and make that mount on my trailer so simple removal is easy. Thanks for your opinions Guys, plan is to use it next weekend to drag a 69 Satellite that has been sitting in the woods for twenty years, out and get it loaded up. Got some snatch blocks for use as I m sure this body will have locked up wheels.

View attachment 1226596
Just in case there are trees or other obstacles in front of the vehicle that is to be extracted, you may want to add two or more tree straps and an equal amount of shackles (which you should have for the snatch blocks already), this is if you can not get a straight line of pull. I hope this makes sense.
I carry four snatch blocks and many more straps and shackles on my Jeep. Self recovery is maybe number 2 in importance in my world of 4-wheeling.
Protect the synthetic rope from rubbing on metal/rock.
I guess that you know that your pull rating 10k lbs. is on the first wrapping of cable/rope on the drum.

Last edited:
Good buy. Nobody with a Warn winch ever said “damn, I wish I’d bought that cheaper brand.”
When you and your vehicle are in a world of quagmire, and you see that other vehicle coming towards you, and you see that hook hanging out in front, your Prayers have been answered.

When you and your vehicle are in a world of quagmire, and you see that other vehicle coming towards you, and you see that hook hanging out in front, your Prayers have been answered.

up here it can be life and death. We don’t have cell phone coverage for most of my area. And you can freeze to death before someone drives out, anyway.

I had a HF 9000 lb one on my 12,000 lb equipment trailer that worked for years trouble free, so I bought the HF 12,000 lb winch and put on my goose neck last year with cable. It pulled this tractor dead out of the weeds with no issues. Only cost $300 on sale. Can buy several for the price of a Warn.

20210909_183442.jpg 20210602_112251.jpg

With a Warn you’re paying for things like cables and switches that don’t shatter in the cold. Most things work when it’s nice and warm and sunny. Most things don’t work when it’s dark and minus thirty. A Warn does.

With a Warn you’re paying for things like cables and switches that don’t shatter in the cold. Most things work when it’s nice and warm and sunny. Most things don’t work when it’s dark and minus thirty. A Warn does.
One winter time, with ice and snow, maybe 38 years ago my dad and I came upon a big truck trying to winching out another big truck. We watched for a while till we could hear the cable and recovery equipment groaning and neither vehicle was moving, Dad said "come on bob lets get the hell out of here". We got about maybe 50 yards away when all hell broke loose. Nobody got hurt or died, but dame I think them two guys **** their pants.

Last edited:
The best recovery story I ever heard was like that. It’s from the book Dennison’s Ice Road.
Dennison is a northern legend. He pioneered the concept of using northern lakes as roads in the winter.
One time they are in a truck on the ice in the high Arctic. Bad stuck, alone. In the high Arctic. They unbolt the rear axel, drag it around front, chop a hole in the ice to hold it, and use it as a deadman to winch themselves out. It’s hard enough swapping rear ends in the summer in my driveway. In freezing arctic temperatures? Just wow.
A different sort of story comes from Alaska. A Piper Cub landing on a creek gravel bar hooks a wheel landing, and flips upside down. They dig a hole under the engine so that it can swing down into the hole and right the plane. Then they have to heat the engine oil over a campfire to get the water out. But they did and got out.
Any of my adventures pale in comparison to those.

The best recovery story I ever heard was like that. It’s from the book Dennison’s Ice Road.
Dennison is a northern legend. He pioneered the concept of using northern lakes as roads in the winter.
One time they are in a truck on the ice in the high Arctic. Bad stuck, alone. In the high Arctic. They unbolt the rear axel, drag it around front, chop a hole in the ice to hold it, and use it as a deadman to winch themselves out. It’s hard enough swapping rear ends in the summer in my driveway. In freezing arctic temperatures? Just wow.
A different sort of story comes from Alaska. A Piper Cub landing on a creek gravel bar hooks a wheel landing, and flips upside down. They dig a hole under the engine so that it can swing down into the hole and right the plane. Then they have to heat the engine oil over a campfire to get the water out. But they did and got out.
Any of my adventures pale in comparison to those.
A story from my dad who served in a logistics
company during the Korean war;
There was a Sherman tank mired in a bog
that was dotted with sizeable trees. The tank
sat there for two days as the higher ups tried
to contact an engineers company with the
available equipment to free the tank. To no
avail. A driver for my dads' company
commander had been raised on a ranch,
and was experienced in witching techniques.
With a multitude of snatch blocks, chains,
and cables, a MJ (jeep) with a pto driven
winch was able to inch the tank backward
enough to get it back on solid ground.
Snatch blocks can double your pulling
power at every turn.

Auto Transport Service
Back