• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody use an Ultrasonic cleaner for rebuilding carburetors?

Big Bad Dad

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
I am working on salvaging the original Carter AFB for my Coronet. I had let the car set too long with ethanol fuel, and ended up with a rusty tank. That transmitted the rust and crude to the carburetor. It got to running really badly, so now am fixing things up and replacing the fuel tank. I am starting to clean the carb now, but not sure how well the typical degreasing type cleaners are going to work in the rust and the white powdery residue left from the darn ethanol. I am seeing ultrasonic cleaners online. I have never used one, or even seen one to my knowledge. It might be worth spending a couple hundred on a decent one if it would do a good job. You guys have experience with cleaning a carb with the rust and ethanol crud?
Thanks

Absolutely.

I've had motorcycle carbs that look like this on disassembly
IMG_20221015_113950936.jpg
IMG_20221015_113956965.jpg

Come out looking (and running) like new after a cleaning. And it leaves all markings and decals intact.

Yup....used to have one but it 'belonged' to the X.....

I have heard that it works very well but that you need to pay attention to the cleaner that you use as some things will discolor or remove the casting surface treatment. Seems I remember Simple Green was one not to you but can’t honestly say I have a clear recollection of what to use and what not to use.

I used to use one at work to clean gas chromatograph valves. It quite frequently did amazing things to my motorcycle carbs as well. I should have "liberated" it from my work place when I retired. I think I was the only one that used it. Which cleaning solution utilized was important. I think I have a bottle of the good stuff in the shop. If I can find it I will post in the thread.

I have heard that it works very well but that you need to pay attention to the cleaner that you use as some things will discolor or remove the casting surface treatment. Seems I remember Simple Green was one not to you but can’t honestly say I have a clear recollection of what to use and what not to use.

Yeah, Simple Green can discolor plated parts, I use Dawn dishwashing soap to clean carb parts in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner almost every day in my gunsmith business. There are different cleaning fluids for different types of materials. The other thing to consider is the frequency of a particular machine. I started with a cheaper machine only to find out it oscillates at 20,000. Finally bought a good one that oscillates at 40,000. Man what a difference in cleaning performance. It definitely will not hurt aluminum.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner almost every day in my gunsmith business. There are different cleaning fluids for different types of materials. The other thing to consider is the frequency of a particular machine. I started with a cheaper machine only to find out it oscillates at 20,000. Finally bought a good one that oscillates at 40,000. Man what a difference in cleaning performance. It definitely will not hurt aluminum.
What is your opinion on the Vevor machines? This is the one I was considering. Says it has a frequency of 40KHZ. I assume that is what you are talking about?
15L Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner Kit Ultra Sonic Bath Timer Jewellery Cleaning | VEVOR US

Use one about once a week or so on carbs and other small engine stuff. Ours has a fast heater and generally we use it at 140 with simple green.
Works great

Yeah, Simple Green can discolor plated parts, I use Dawn dishwashing soap to clean carb parts in the ultrasonic cleaner.
While ordinary Simple Green can discolour certain metals and aluminum especially because of it's alkalinity (ph9), Simple Green Extreme Aircraft & Precision cleaner is safe for that purpose.

Coincidence that you have a posting here on the "B" bodies site in regards to an Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner.
This morning i purchased a cleaner at my local Harbor Freight store, here in my city.
Started a posting asking what others are using for their cleaner fluid, in the machine, over on the "A" bodies site.
Got all sorts of answers, as what it all boils down too, is a personal preference, i would think.
hemi71x

Last edited:
I used one when I was 16 1961... my dad had me cleaning clocks with it on weekends... he was a watch maker a lost trade.

it really did a great job.......... and then I oiled up the pivots..
1959.jpg

Last edited:
Just clean with the strongest solvent you can find when using ultrasonic baths, the parts have to be completely immersed. Can also add a small amount of acid. We use these in the lab frequently for instrument parts.

I used to use one at work to clean gas chromatograph valves. It quite frequently did amazing things to my motorcycle carbs as well. I should have "liberated" it from my work place when I retired. I think I was the only one that used it. Which cleaning solution utilized was important. I think I have a bottle of the good stuff in the shop. If I can find it I will post in the thread.
Extran 300 is the cleaning solution concentrate I used to use. Apparently discontinued now (probably because it worked good). This is an equivalent replacement: Liquinox Critical Cleaning Liquid Detergent | Alconox Inc.

Depending on which one of their charts, it could go either way. I just used their cross reference to the Extran 300 and came up with the Liquinox. The product sheet for Liquinox does state suitable for aluminum and other soft metal castings. One is basic (Liquinox) and one is acidic (Citranox), either can stain aluminum if not careful. I still have a bottle of Extran 300 so I will give it a try on an old outboard carb I have to service.

Straight solvent is plenty with sonication, methanol (wood alcohol) is easy to source. I used dichloromethane (old carb cleaners contained chlorinated solvents) for an avs but that is more difficult to find and more hazardous to work with.

Auto Transport Service
Back