• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody use an Ultrasonic cleaner for rebuilding carburetors?

I have an Ultrasonic cleaner but I have gotten better results without it.
Just really hot soapy water, Scrubbing ( Very Little), and Aluma Brite.
Here are the before and after.
Here is a link to the thread I post about it.
Carter AFB Hemi Carbs cleaned up.
processed-c18682a8-8f78-4926-8a35-0655d3cc8d6c_7JQWfNq0 (1).jpeg
processed-37e212a2-5b03-484f-a432-e55a8d318b39_7Pr7pVOF (1).jpeg

I watched a couple videos of large, home made ultrasonic cleaners. The vibrating parts can be bought and installed on a tank. I'm thinking a stainless tub from a wash machine or a rectangle box of some kind. Need 100 watts per gallon.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 9.51.21 AM.png

Do they have a version that runs on 110 volt?
Yes, I didn't notice the voltage when I cut it. The screen shot came from Amazon. There is a threaded stub to be welded to the tank and the vibrator screws to that. ...and I just noticed it is not 40 kHz, which the videos I watched claimed worked the best.

Here's what I just used on my Hemi carbs....

8407CCD6-96AC-4482-BA91-F649F16C0071.jpeg

This is the before pictures of the front carb. The rear one was worse.

IMG_9511.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg

After soaking and cleaning with an old tooth brush and Q-tips.

490B5ECA-83A3-4B3A-9547-4E54C6211FAB.jpeg

CC1DCEB1-AE58-40CB-84B2-C847A60E024E.jpeg

3DE04E43-61AD-4569-B3A2-37904D5CD957.jpeg

I have a 10L unit that I use for carburetors. They are good for the final cleaning, getting into minute passages, BUT they will not do the heavy lifting, removing heavy crap and gasket residue etc. I do use a variety of different cleaners in mine. The most recent was a concentrate called Citranox by Alconex? They sent me a sample to try and it did a nice job on a Holley 4160 that I just finished. It did not remove the OEM dicromate finish from the carb.

Many years ago one was used on the primary six pack carb from my Duster. Ever since I put those on, bought new, the primary was a problem child. Always had to keep pulling it off to clean the metering block. The cleaning would work maybe 10 minutes then start running bad again. Dealt with that for a couple of years. My brother got ahold of an Ultrasonic and dropped the block in, I was at work at the time. He said the amount of crud rolling out of that thing was mind boggling. After cleaning, it was good for a day. I ended up selling it then bought it back and put a new block on. End of discussion after that.

People seem to like these. I have some albums I want to sell. They are in good shape, but still worth cleaning. People say they do an excellent job, removing finger prints and most of the popping. Sometimes the pop is a fly spec that comes off in the cleaning. I plan to use it for other things. First is a lawnmower carb in a plastic peanut butter jar with gasoline. That goes in the water of the machine which stays clean. I will report back when I get it.

Here's what I just used on my Hemi carbs....

View attachment 1404491

This is the before pictures of the front carb. The rear one was worse.

View attachment 1404492

View attachment 1404493

View attachment 1404496

After soaking and cleaning with an old tooth brush and Q-tips.

View attachment 1404494

View attachment 1404495

View attachment 1404497
Maybe you can still buy that in the free world but it hasn't been available in California for over twenty years.... And what they sold twenty years ago was mostly water & completely useless.... Thirty years ago we could get stuff that was great... But we all know working is illegal here in California...

A cleaning solvent to consider is
denatured alcohol. Jewlers use it
to clean expensive Rolex watches.
It's reaction to metals is non-corrosive.
I've cleaned a number of carbs with
the stuff, and all you need is a bucket
to soak the parts in. Careful around
any spark source. It's the same stuff
used in bunsen burners in chemistry
classes.
It will remove any ethanol residue and
varnished gasoline. And it's cheap.

Auto Transport Service
Back