• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody want a big lap dog?

OH71RRunner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
Overall, a good dog. Just doesn't fit in well with us.
When we got her last year, she was SEVERELY dehydrated and malnourished. She wasn't house broken or crate trained.
She was left in an abandoned house for no telling how long. Then she was with a family with a small child. She was great with him. They didn't take the time needed to work with her. Then we got her. She is house broken and crate trained. She is scared of toys. She used to run off if the fence gate was open. Now she doesn't. She is more of a companion type of dog or with someone with a big fenced back yard where she can run.
She rarely barks unless someone knocks on the door or sees a cat when she's outside. She gets along very well with our lab and a cat. Took a while to be ok with the cat. She low growls at the kitten but the kitten hisses at her. Lol. We keep them apart.
We can't get her to play. We've tried everything we can think of. She's only concerned about eating and going outside.
The mrs wants her gone. I'm picky about where she goes. She's not a smart dog by any means; well, she hasn't shown it here. I don't want her to go to just anybody for the fear of her getting abused or beaten. That's already happened to her. She's about 5-7 years old. Red nosed pit. She sleeps A LOT. She has shown no signs of any aggression.

She comes with a large crate.
Willing to bring her to you if not across the country.
I want to try to keep working with her but Cari is getting more and more frustrated with her.

This is shortly after we got her.
Resized_20190311_151413.jpg

This is her now with our lab
20200106_185737.jpg

20190526_170926.jpg

Squinting and sitting on her tail because it's cold
20191130_201738.jpg

Glad to hear you dont want to just let anyone have her. The girl who gave me my dog came to my house to make sure I had a yard and wasnt going to fight her. She drove 2 hours . Good luck and she looks sweet. ps your lab will not be happy.

my wife and I had a old irish red nose bitch looked just like yours , she wouldnt growl at anything except if i put halloween mask on, real shy dog , had her for eight years ,she slept on wifes side of bed every nite. never once messed in house but you must remember these dogs are bred for high end fighting . you never know what will turn them on . If we lived near you would take her.

What a sweet little girl. I get very angry thinking about how these dogs get abused and mistreated for a persons sick amusement.
As far as playing, I've found that sometimes, a toy that one dog LOVES may not interest another one in the least. We had a sweet Pit Bull named Domino that LOVED her red Jolly Ball.

IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

When she got sick and passed on, we got Pebbles. She has zero interest in them.

Pebbles.JPG

Keep working with her as best you can. Our rescue dog has her own quirks and is often times headstrong with us, but I would never let her go. I implore you that whatever you do please keep her until you can put her in a good home. I trust that you will do this no matter how long it takes or how frustrated y'all may become. But I hope she comes around and can stay with you.

Patience is a virtue. Glad you’re trying to do right by her. They’re vulnerable to those that don’t care

I'm not letting Lucy go anywhere unless I know she'll be treated good and not neglected. She's needed a lot more work than we know how to do. I've spent hours reading and watching videos on how to work with neglected and abused dogs, but I'm not getting anywhere.

I was hoping someone on here might have room for her. Or need a fairly lazy lap dog as a companion or friend. Lol

She needs a home with another lab or similar mellow breed. She has a friend now - likely better if she has a friend in her next home if she's traumatized.

I'm not letting Lucy go anywhere unless I know she'll be treated good and not neglected. She's needed a lot more work than we know how to do. I've spent hours reading and watching videos on how to work with neglected and abused dogs, but I'm not getting anywhere.

I was hoping someone on here might have room for her. Or need a fairly lazy lap dog as a companion or friend. Lol
Are you only trying to communicate in people language? Have you tried dog language? You have to get her to emotionally bond with you before she will want to make you happy.

cute girl!

It's a sad commentary that you adopt a dog like this that's been abused and you try your dammedist to break it of it trauma, and no matter how hard you try, you can't. It's mentality scarred for life and now the dog has to move on for whatever reasons. Sad that dogs, like children are the victims of abuse that will never heal.
I commend you for trying, good luck finding a home.

What's her name ?
she looks really sweet, has them sad eyes,
sounds like she probably never knew what a toy even was...
I wonder if she was ferrell, born without humans around here ???

disclaimer;
Please don't get what I'm about to say wrong or against you,
it's not intended as such

sadly another move, another strange house, another & different/strange people
or what they think maybe is another abandoning by their people/humans
(I know that's harsh)
& another strange house/dogs, pets &/or kids etc.
or totally new environment
probably isn't good for her, she is/was traumatized
or it's not the best thing for her
she is home now, in her mind (I'd think/assume)

& I completely understand,
I don't & won't blame you or your wife, at all

I hope she gets what's best for her...
a forever home

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always wonder what the dog thinks when they are fostered
& get along with the people/animals/pets & then have to go to another home
it breaks my heart to see & hear the stories

I've dealt with fostering a lot
it still hurts every time, but I can't save or keep them all

many are extremely shy
(seem to gravitate to one person in the new house)
& won't play at 1st
& some will never play & are really reserved
(probably because of prior trust issues)
some bark & are really territorial too
some don't make a peep & just go into a corner & sleep
(often under or in something, to protect them, to feel secure)
some won't eat or are food aggressive

she doesn't sound like most any of that

you're a good man @OH71RRunner
to even take her in

Last edited:
Her name is Lucy. I hate to have to find another home for her. I feel bad for her. I don't really want to get rid of her because she's already been passed around a few times. She likes it here. I feel she does anyways. If it was 100% up to me, she'd stay until she died. I hate getting rid of animals. We've gone through a few over the years, mainly little cage critters. We even took in a turtle a few years ago. He was in bad shape. The vet said if we hadn't taken him in, he would've died that summer.
Lucy needs somebody that is better at working with neglected dogs. I hate it that we are unable to do more. We continue to try working with her.

If we can't find a suitable home for her, she'll stay here. We don't hate her or even dislike her. She just doesn't fit in here.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I'm sure things will work out.

Lucy needs somebody that is better at working with neglected dogs. I hate it that we are unable to do more. We continue to try working with her.
If we can't find a suitable home for her, she'll stay here. We don't hate her or even dislike her. She just doesn't fit in here.
Thanks for all the replies everybody. I'm sure things will work out.
That's the hard part when your not trained to help her deal & heal properly and be a truly happy dog. Go talk to your vet and get ideas where to get her help or new home. That's the most humane thing to do. I love dogs to death, to bad I'm allergic to them. Good Luck

Life with rescues can be tough. Rescued two Rotts and they both have their issues. Lucy looks like a great dog , hope it all works out and she may already be at her forever home.

2C5E6B6F-F02A-43E9-9AF2-2757F4EDD4E0.jpeg
The moving from different houses does take a big toll on them! My Rott was in bad shape when we got her , she came from Kansas to the Chicago area. So she had been through a number of foster housings, she was only 50 pounds and had lost a lot of her hair. Good luck wish I could take in another but I can’t have a third dog.

Auto Transport Service
Back