• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone a Home HVAC Tech?

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
House A/C tripped the breaker while I was at work. I cleaned the condenser, tested the condenser fan, tested the start capacitor, all good. Pulled the wiring plug off the compressor and the system will run without tripping the breaker with it disconnected. High draw on the compressor points me to the conclusion compressor is shot. Do technicians replace compressors or do they throw an entire new outside unit at it? System is 5 years old. Armstrong Air.
20230620_175817.jpg

Sounds like the compressor may be stuck. Sometimes a good rap with a piece of wood while applying the power can unstick it. It also may need an extra kick provided by a “ Hard Start Kit”. This MAY give you a few more years of service.

The compressor may still be in warranty, IF the installer filed the paperwork. I believe that is a Scroll Compressor. Most have a 10 year warranty, but it generally does not cover all the labor. If you have the paper work, call the company that did the install or a rep for that brand, to have it checked.
Ron

look at the 220 breaker....... mine had 1 connection burnt on the back side where I couldn't see it and had me chasing my tail

Sounds like the compressor may be stuck. Sometimes a good rap with a piece of wood while applying the power can unstick it. It also may need an extra kick provided by a “ Hard Start Kit”. This MAY give you a few more years of service.

The compressor may still be in warranty, IF the installer filed the paperwork. I believe that is a Scroll Compressor. Most have a 10 year warranty, but it generally does not cover all the labor. If you have the paper work, call the company that did the install or a rep for that brand, to have it checked.
Ron
Definately stuck. Short to ground at the case. Just confirmed. We are the second owners and no warranty paperwork was filed. I checked their website. $102 service call just now from local HVAC company to get compressor specs to get one ordered and put together a quote.
look at the 220 breaker....... mine had 1 connection burnt on the back side where I couldn't see it and had me chasing my tail
Breaker is good. It stays on and runs all the fans with the compressor unhooked.

I did order a hard start kit to add to it once it's fixed.

New compressor time. The question would be why did the original fail so early (possible non- condensables in the system or an overcharge)? Add a suction dryer with a removable filter with the new installation and make sure the system is evacuated to 3-400 microns. Probably a good idea to do a triple evacuation with a nitrogen break for each draw down.

Had wall circuit when I plugged in drill and started it breaker would pop. Worse part my wife said the breaker was probably, humble pie for desert. I'm with eldubb440 check the breaker. Might see burned contacts where it's hooked to panel. If you buy a new breaker at a box store you can return it.

Had wall circuit when I plugged in drill and started it breaker would pop. Worse part my wife said the breaker was probably, humble pie for desert. I'm with eldubb440 check the breaker. Might see burned contacts where it's hooked to panel. If you buy a new breaker at a box store you can return it.

if i can remember correctly, it's been a couple years, everything that operated on 110 was working and the breaker "looked" fine; but the second leg was burnt and melted to the box, thus no compressor

and if you have time delay fuses at the disconnect, one may be bad

New compressor time. The question would be why did the original fail so early (possible non- condensables in the system or an overcharge)? Add a suction dryer with a removable filter with the new installation and make sure the system is evacuated to 3-400 microns. Probably a good idea to do a triple evacuation with a nitrogen break for each draw down.
I'll let the hvac tech know.

Auto Transport Service
Back