• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever strip the ARP 12 point bolt head??

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
I never thought it could happen but I hve one rocker shaft 3" bolt that strippd out and im having a hell of a time getting it out!

Tried welding aa nut on top no good, tried hammering on a socket extractor nope, tried a large pipe wrench nope can't get the teeth around it now, going to try a smaller one, if not then going to grind a notch in the top and use a cold chisel to try to hammer it loose that way, if that doesn't work then i'm going to have to just drill it out along with the flanged washer built into to it.

What a pain!!

anyone experience this what did you do?

:wtf::mad:

When you say "Tried welding aa nut on top" what happened...did the weld sheer, or did the nut round off?

When you say "Tried welding aa nut on top" what happened...did the weld sheer, or did the nut round off?
The weld sheared off, I think the bolt was torqued to over 100 ft lbs or something it's fucked asking ARP what the best method it before i begin drilling it out

Well it

Well its worth a shot even though its a bolt and the head is barley sticking up enough off the hold down for me to get anything on it, i'm going to buy a smaller pipe wrench today to see if that smaller head can grip what's left of the head. At this point the head has had multiple sockets hammered on it the top sanded some for welding, welding slag all over it and not much meat left on it that can be gotten too by an external wrench or tool, sadly I think drilling it may be the only way, sanding the chromoly off seemed pretty easy and I want to grind a groove in the top and then take a chisel to it as well

Is this the only one left? Remove the others, and grind the head off of this one. Once the head and shaft assy are removed, the tension is relieved and the bolt should come out easily, as long as it is not cross threaded or something. I have had to do this a few times for flywheel bolts. Once the head is removed, the part being held down can be taken off. The rest of the bolt can then be unscrewed with your fingers most time (after it cools down first, LOL....)

Wow John
Good luck
Keep us posted
Got a pic?

Gee, the "Kid" is right, some good tools out there for this kind of matter
(as you already know)

The weld sheared off, I think the bolt was torqued to over 100 ft lbs or something it's fucked asking ARP what the best method it before i begin drilling it out
It's worth trying again, use a higher strength stainless rod and as large a nut as possible. The heat going into the bolt has to be doing some good with loosening as well.

It's worth trying again with a higher strength stainless rod and the largest nut that will work. The heat going into the bolt has to be helpful with loosening as well.

Aluminum head? You could try to hit it ( aluminum around the bolt) with some liquid propellant like in a air duster and shrink it enough to take tension off the shoulder of the bolt head...
Or find a big enough bolt to go over the head and then weld it...
Good luck!

Drill out a nut to fit tight, pound it down and weld it, it's gotta come out.
Good luck!

Is this the only one left? Remove the others, and grind the head off of this one. Once the head and shaft assy are removed, the tension is relieved and the bolt should come out easily, as long as it is not cross threaded or something. I have had to do this a few times for flywheel bolts. Once the head is removed, the part being held down can be taken off. The rest of the bolt can then be unscrewed with your fingers most time (after it cools down first, LOL....)
^^^^^^^^what this guy said^^^^^^^

Auto Transport Service
Back