• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone 'fast' for weight loss or other reasons?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
Thinking about giving it a shot....but will be lucky just to go 8 hours without a snack lol. Anyways, seems to be some good info and things I didn't know about on this site....

Pretty soon most of us will have to fast due to the insane price increases for food.

I’ve been doing it off and on for a year or so.
If you combine it with keto you will lose weight for sure.

The thing with me is, the more simple carbs I eat, the hungrier I get, so without keto I would not be able to fast / control my hunger.

What I do when I have it going good is basically not eat breakfast. I eat lunch around 11 am, then a snack / meal around 3pm, maybe another meal around 6pm. Don’t eat after that. So that puts my eating in a 7-8 hour window.

I think it’s important not to eat before bed so your digestive system is not working while you are sleeping.

Another key for me is no alcohol.

I’ve come to believe that calories need cut to lose weight. Whatever diet you need to use to allow you to consume less calories than you burn will allow you to lose weight.

Fasting is a good way to consume less calories, because once you develop the habit it’s easy to do.

Eliminating snacking is another key thing. For me, a high fat diet (keto) keeps me from having to push food in my cake hole constantly.

Of course my wife still eats like a 10 year old and I tend to follow her lead way too much, so it’s a constant struggle for me.

Fasting isn't the best way to do it. 1500 calories and nothing after 6.

Thinking about giving it a shot....but will be lucky just to go 8 hours without a snack lol. Anyways, seems to be some good info and things I didn't know about on this site....
I don't know if I would trust health advice from a website site called "zero longevity." LOL

I have fasted before blood tests

My family is prone to have weight problems from my mother's side
I struggle with 25# every winter it seems
been there done that
a low calorie, low fat, low-carb diet is way better, hi protien
drink a lot of water, more than you like, 6-8 12oz glasses
& get off the booze/beer, it just wasted calories/sugars/carbs,
might as well just eat a damn cake
no processed sugars or sodium,
most processed food like chips, crackers, cookies
& stay off sports drinks (laden w/Sugar & Salt) & sodas 'even sugar free sodas'
eat a bowl of oats or oatmeal regularly (good for blood pressure too)
eat more beans, lentils, splitpea etc.
buy some/take some Metamucil daily to help, like a 3 month/90 day regiment
it will help clear out your bowels/lower cholesterol too,
eat something green every day, pref every meal, 'roughage'
try to eat 1 protien, 1 carb/light on the carbs, 1 fruit or veg./3 servings a day,
milk, sour cream & cottage cheese/cheeses are ok in smaller amounts,
greens/veggies with every major meal
start the day with fruit, also helps too, get your digestive system started well
coffee & tea are diuretics also (if used without sugar or creamer)

good luck

Last edited:
What you eat, when you eat it, where you eat, why you eat it. None of that matters. Weight loss is a math problem, nothing more, nothing less. As long as you burn more calories in a over a given period of time than you consume, you will loose weight. It really is that easy.

If you eat 3500 calories day by consuming nothing but chocolate cake but burn 5,000 calories in that same day, you will loose weight. Conversely, if you consume 5,000 calories by eating nothing but carrots, but only burn 3500 calories, you will gain weight.

Now, neither of the examples above are particularly healthy, but that is a different conversation.

There is no difference in a calorie from a carrot or from a piece of chocolate cake. A calorie is nothing more than a unit of measure (the amount of energy it takes to increase 1 kilogram of water by 1 degree).

Set-point-theory does come into play as well. What this is, is your body's genetic predisposition to maintain a certain weight range. We all know people that we can watch down a whole pizza and follow it up with a couple of bowls of ice cream, do this every week, and still be thin as a rail. Others can looks at a package of carrots and gain 5 pounds. Genetics plays a huge role in how we look. While we can make decent changes, those who are genetically predisposed to be on the big side, will never be skinny regardless of how hard they try and vice versa. Our bodies will adjust our BMR to compensate for the amount of food we are consuming to maintain our overall size. At least this is what set-point-theory states, and I have found it to be very sound thinking.

By the way, I do have a degree in Exercise Physiology. I know a little bit about this stuff.

What you eat, when you eat it, where you eat, why you eat it. None of that matters. Weight loss is a math problem, nothing more, nothing less. As long as you burn more calories in a over a given period of time than you consume, you will loose weight. It really is that easy.

If you eat 3500 calories day by consuming nothing but chocolate cake but burn 5,000 calories in that same day, you will loose weight. Conversely, if you consume 5,000 calories by eating nothing but carrots, but only burn 3500 calories, you will gain weight.

Now, neither of the examples above are particularly healthy, but that is a different conversation.

There is no difference in a calorie from a carrot or from a piece of chocolate cake. A calorie is nothing more than a unit of measure (the amount of energy it takes to increase 1 kilogram of water by 1 degree).

Set-point-theory does come into play as well. What this is, is your body's genetic predisposition to maintain a certain weight range. We all know people that we can watch down a whole pizza and follow it up with a couple of bowls of ice cream, do this every week, and still be thin as a rail. Others can looks at a package of carrots and gain 5 pounds. Genetics plays a huge role in how we look. While we can make decent changes, those who are genetically predisposed to be on the big side, will never be skinny regardless of how hard they try and vice versa. Our bodies will adjust our BMR to compensate for the amount of food we are consuming to maintain our overall size. At least this is what set-point-theory states, and I have found it to be very sound thinking.

By the way, I do have a degree in Exercise Physiology. I know a little bit about this stuff.
While there are tons of “health experts “ spewing nonsense, ksurfer knows what he is talking about.

Dr Peter Attia (sp?) has a podcast and really dissects a lot of the research into all kinds of health and longevity issues.

What ksurfer says pretty much aligns with that.

But what I have found out about myself is that a high fat diet helps me consume fewer calories by the simple thing that I am a lot less hungry.

Now in my case what I eat has a tremendous effect on how I feel. Simple carbs, especially sugar and beer seem to cause a lot of inflammation in my body. Sinuses, arthritis in my hands, prostate.

You know that feeling after you eat a fast food burger, and it feels like there’s a dump truck in your belly?
Try eating it without the bun.

Also losing weight got rid of my sleep apnea.

My wife is not near as sensitive to carbs as me so I think there is a definite difference between people’s physiology.

Yep different people process different food different ways
it's still a good rule of thumb...

Food value, is different than just straight calories...
You could live on salt & sugar, empty calories but for how long ?
What's the longterm ramifications ?
What you did as a young person vs an older adult, not as active :blah:
Like my dad, alcohol cardiomyopathy and heart disease,
quadruple by-pass, valve replacement/pig valve, asthma/COPD,
hardened arteries, clogged arteries, heart attacks, can't breath,
now both corraded arteries are 70% blocked, yet another surgery
& many, many lingering health issues...
He lived literally off red meat & chips, junk food & booze,
it all has calories, and counts the same right ?,
he's thin, with very lil' muscle too...
But;
I ain't doing that, nobody should...

All of it because of what you/he consumes...

Not all food is the same...
I may fill the hole, may make a turd, but it's not just plain calories...

Food or good nutritious food is usually, less calories & more fiber too
you can 'many times' eat more of it to feel full, larger portions,
it doesn't taste as good usually too...
if you live off a high-fat & high glucose/processed food diet
you probably won't live as long too...
That's a fact...
Water is life too...
That's another fact...

I love veggies & fruit...
I also love pasta/some bagels/breads/biscuits/sweet cornbread (Carbs),
meat & potatoes (that's how I was raised),
cheeses, ribs, burgers, hotdogs, pretzels, ice cream
(I love most of it but don't eat much of them now)
Occasional beer/drink (rarely now too)
Empty calories galore, some of that, it may feed you yes it may/will fill your belly
but some of it is not very nutritious, but it fills you up, adds bad calories too...
Not as healthy for you either...

What's the old adage (almost) anything in moderation...

Eating the higher protein & more roughage, fruit & veggies
not consuming as many calories PERIOD !!!
Your body will start to consume the 'fat storage' you have...

Something fat people have a problem with,
many why they do overeat, especially sugars & carbs,
consume cokes/booze/beer overboard
they want that full feeling, sugars & carbs give them...

Last edited:
The consumption/calories thing makes sense. My mother entered a weight loss contest at her work in the 80’s. She was around 60 then, she loved all sorts of foods, good stuff and not. All she did was reduce her typical food consumption or portions and nothing else. She still ate all the foods she loved, just less of it. The goal as I recollect was 25lbs and came in 1st place. Yeah, I should try this sometime.

An old boss of mine, a health fan, routine workouts, ate right, said “Do you eat to live, or live to eat?” He always looked great, slim, despised any gut working on it all the time. Sad part, he died suddenly from a heart attack at age 50. What a shock that was..

I need to. I’m hovering at 217 with my boots on. At 5’10” I need to do something. :(

I'v dropped 45 pound of weight off this old mans body, since April.
Started out at 230, and right now I'm at 185.
I am told i am at an ideal weight for a man, of my age, and height, 185-190 pounds.
I'm 5' 11" and 70 years old.
I got out of the Air Force, at age 27, back in 1980, so i'm 5 pounds away from what i weighed in at 43 years ago, 180 pounds.
I'm gonna go for the other 5 pounds.

I did it without this golow bs, or 12, or 16 hour fast, that your asking about.

I did it by eating a whole lot less, eating better, and eating smarter.
And for my exercise, i walk around the hood, three times a day, with each walk being one mile.

No matter what you do, your gonna, hafta, do some sort of exercise regime in loosing weight.
No if's ans or butt's about it.

Well good luck to you.
Again, i did it all on my own.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Last edited:
While there are tons of “health experts “ spewing nonsense, ksurfer knows what he is talking about.

Dr Peter Attia (sp?) has a podcast and really dissects a lot of the research into all kinds of health and longevity issues.

What ksurfer says pretty much aligns with that.

But what I have found out about myself is that a high fat diet helps me consume fewer calories by the simple thing that I am a lot less hungry.

Now in my case what I eat has a tremendous effect on how I feel. Simple carbs, especially sugar and beer seem to cause a lot of inflammation in my body. Sinuses, arthritis in my hands, prostate.

You know that feeling after you eat a fast food burger, and it feels like there’s a dump truck in your belly?
Try eating it without the bun.

Also losing weight got rid of my sleep apnea.

My wife is not near as sensitive to carbs as me so I think there is a definite difference between people’s physiology.
Yeah, alcohol affects lots of stuff and for sure messes with my sinuses.
The consumption/calories thing makes sense. My mother entered a weight loss contest at her work in the 80’s. She was around 60 then, she loved all sorts of foods, good stuff and not. All she did was reduce her typical food consumption or portions and nothing else. She still ate all the foods she loved, just less of it. The goal as I recollect was 25lbs and came in 1st place. Yeah, I should try this sometime.

An old boss of mine, a health fan, routine workouts, ate right, said “Do you eat to live, or live to eat?” He always looked great, slim, despised any gut working on it all the time. Sad part, he died suddenly from a heart attack at age 50. What a shock that was..
We had a weight loss contest at work too and one guy lost about 50 lbs. When asked what he did his reply was laid off the booze lol
Change your routine!

Doesn't Golden Corral have a senior discount before 4pm?

:rofl:
Don't know about 4pm but GC offers 10% to 60 and over. There's a couple of Mexican food places near me that give 50% off to vets. Been a group of time since going to GC but I do go to the Mexican place from time to time. At least I don't polish off the bowl of chips anymore :D

And thanks for the replies!!

I'v dropped 45 pound of weight off this old mans body, since April.
Started out at 230, and right now I'm at 185.
I am told i am at an ideal weight for a man, of my age, and height, 185-190 pounds.
I'm 5' 11" and 70 years old.
I got out of the Air Force, at age 27, back in 1980, so i'm 5 pounds away from what i weighed in at 43 years ago, 180 pounds.
I'm gonna go for the other 5 pounds.

I did it without this golow bs, or 12, or 16 hour fast, that your asking about.

I did it by eating a whole lot less, eating better, and eating smarter.
And for my exercise, i walk around the hood, three times a day, with each walk being one mile.

No matter what you do, your gonna, hafta, do some sort of exercise regime in loosing weight.
No if's ans or butt's about it.

Well good luck to you.
Again, i did it all on my own.
Jim V.
hemi71x
Man, bet I walk 5 miles a day just in my shop....especially the last couple of days. Geez. Maybe I should get one of those fit bits or whatever they're called that counts your steps. And I do work out but probably need to do more.

Golden Corral should be off limits to anyone who cares about their health.

As a matter of fact, when you see a restaurant full of fat people, eat somewhere else.

Auto Transport Service
Back