• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone hate KYB’s. Looking for a shock recommend

I have Koni adjustable shocks on mine and they have a great smooth ride.

KYBs are a digressive design. This means that in their initial movement from a static state, they are stiff but the longer the stroke (Meaning longer suspension travel) the softer the KYBs get. This makes a car with soft springs and small torsion bars feel firmer. The real problem is when a person uses KYBs with stiffer springs and TBs. the ride will be real harsh.
The better shocks are “progressive “ in design where the initial movement from static is soft but the greater the travel, the firmer the shocks get. This is a better design because it gives a softer ride on bumpy roads but they firm up on roads with ups and downs. You get Better control on rough roads because the suspension soaks up bumps instead of having the car skip and bounce off of them.
I have Bilsteins on my ‘15 Challenger, ‘07 truck and my Charger.

View attachment 1124186
That’s interesting, thanks Kern! I went and looked it up, interesting stuff. I’m betting the driving experience with these varies a lot based on the quality of the roads we drive. Most of the roads I go on are quite good so I would likely notice less than people in some places. The digressive shocks and the handling I experience are also in line. Learn something every day.

...this car is built mostly to go fast in a straight line not corner anyway...

....both descent handling and and a nice/comfortable ride?....
Although you can get close, there simply isn't a 'best of both worlds' shock IMO...you'll need to decide which way you want to tilt the compromise: a little stiffer w/better launch grip; or a little more tire spin on takeoffs but a better ride the rest of the time. A lot has to do with your tires and how much power you're making obviously, but I do agree with your disdain for the KYBs. They're more of a 'worst of both worlds' shock to me..rougher ride without the benefits of aiding drag traction at least in my experiences.
It sounds like you would be happier with a more street-friendly shock like the Bilsteins. I honestly don't think I've ever heard a bad word about them..

(Friggin' love that car BTW!)

Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser on Bilstein according to their web site... I’m even putting them on my 08 300C in place of the Sachs that we’re on it being it wasn’t a SRT. Good stuff! Monroe’s don’t work for long and don’t provide the ride I like.

This was interesting. I am looking for new shocks on all 4 corners on my 69 GTX. What model blistein should I get or consider??

Auto Transport Service
Back