• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a collie or sheltie?

YY1

Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
In 2015, we lost my wife's 15 year old chihuahua.

Honestly, he was a little dick (although his actual dick was disproportionately HUGE), and we didn't really care for each other but tolerated.

My wife now wants to get another dog.
She used to enjoy going for walks, and thinks a dog would help motivate her to start walking again.
Fine with me, but...

I must have had a back-asswards experience with pets as a child.
I had a super stoopid dog, and a super smart and cool cat.
I'm kind of a cat guy, at least partly because of that.
I know there are smart dogs, and I've known some.
What I'm not crazy about is the almost constant need for attention and the jumping and knocking things over and tearing things up.

I'd like to get a dog that's super mellow, but active enough to walk the 1.5 mile neighborhood circle.
I'd like to get one that's smart and easy to train.
Of course I need one that gets along with cats.
I don't want one that constantly stares at us waiting for us to interact.
I'd also like one that is big enough and of a temperment to be somewhat protective if my wife goes out without me (The neighborhood is fine, but you never know), but without being aggressive.
We don't want a big dog, either. I LOVE labs and retrievers, but they are out by the wife's veto power. She wants something small like another chihuahua or a pekingese, but they are out by my veto.

From what I know about collies, I think a smallish one might fit the bill.

Checks off the boxes-

Smart
Easy to train
Loyal and protective
Reasonably mellow
Might herd but wont maim or kill our cats
Likes exercise but does not demand it

From what I know, shelties are similar but slightly more high strung.
Not sure if the size trade off would be worth it to also lose the kind of iffy protectiveness factor.

We have a relatively large yard (1/2 acre) with a cat door so those guys can come and go as they please. We could either enlarge it and allow the dog to do the same, or not and the dog could be inside during the day, and in and out when we get home. We both work "normal" hours, but are gone at the same time during the day.

Any comments appreciated.

I may suggest a Jack Russell.
Not sure how they are around cats, I see truckers that have them as co-pilots and they seem like cool dogs.

Collies are smart but are herding animals and by default like to move alot. Those are the reasons I don't suggest Aussies or Heelers. Also Collies can be mean if you don't raise them properly.
I would also not recommend Daschunds, they can be mean.

I may suggest a Jack Russell.
Not sure how they are around cats, I see truckers that have them as co-pilots and they seem like cool dogs.

Collies are smart but are herding animals and by default like to move alot. Those are the reasons I don't suggest Aussies or Heelers. Also Collies can be mean if you don't raise them properly.
I would also not recommend Daschunds, they can be mean.
I had to put up with a grandsons miniature Collie for awhile, smart, territorial little pain in the ***.
If I had my way he would have become flower food and I like dogs in general.

We have a coustomer that use to raise and train sheltie show dogs. They can run pretty fast on those short stubby little legs and were allways freindly to be around. Make a good watch dog or advanced door bell. They can get expensive.

So far I love Toby my border collie. He's 4 months old and is smart as a whip. Keep in mind that smart means that they get bored easily so you do have to give them something to do during the day. I put treats inside of his toys and he has to figure out how to get them. We play fetch and tug o war a few times a day and that seems to keep him from chewing the house down. I also take him for walks on the weekends because his breed is known for running 50 miles nonstop. What I'm getting at here is that he has a lot of energy but is also very loving and cuddly. I think he's the perfect dog. My cat tolerates him but that's because Puddy is 11 and Toby is 4 months.

2018-01-03_08-53-25.jpg

Thanks.

I understand border collies are somewhat more energetic that standard collies.

I knew people who had a Sheltie about 20 years ago. It was very relaxed unless it brought a toy to you and you said "OK". Then it was like a light switch.... until you said "that's enough". That's kind of what I'm looking for, but that's the only one I've had any real interaction with.

I've also known one Jack Russel. It bit me. It also bit another mutual friend of the owner, and killed his girlfriend's cat. No thanks. One is all it takes going down that road.

I understand the rule of thumb for being good with cats is avoid "sight hounds" and guard dog types.

She had it for 5 years be fore we got married, so I was spared some of that time period.

I actually advised against it.

He wasn't horrible, but was a PITA at times, and we just weren't that fond of each other.

Got on her nerves a lot too.
Digging in the trash.
Pissing on stuff if annoyed at us.
Tearing up stuff if left alone.

That one of the things I'd like to be better this time.

Thanks.

I understand border collies are somewhat more energetic that standard collies.

I knew people who had a Sheltie about 20 years ago. It was very relaxed unless it brought a toy to you and you said "OK". Then it was like a light switch.... until you said "that's enough". That's kind of what I'm looking for, but that's the only one I've had any real interaction with.

That's Toby, except its get it, leave it or let it go. He picked up those three commands in a day. He hears "leave it" the most, when he wants to heard the cat and I have to intervene. Puddy has smacked Toby a few times now when he gets too wound up. With the right time and training most any dog you pick will fit the bill. You just have to fine one you can connect with.

Growing up, all we had were collies/border collies, and shelties so I can offer you my experiences.

Our border collie was the most active dog out of the bunch and was a massive herder. To the point he would bite the tires of our lawn mower when I mowed. However, he was super loyal, super loving, and the best dog I ever had. He was not much of a lap dog but loved attention. Unless you have a lot of roaming space, they are not going to be the best pet. We had 4 acres growing up so that was never a problem. I think he ended up being about 50-60 lbs but I was pretty young too so I can't be sure.

I have had 3 shelties and all 3 had 3 wildly different personalities. But like they border collie, they were all very high strung and needed a lot of exercise. 1 was obsessed with her ball and would literally fetch until her heart exploded if you let her. She was not much of a lap dog and could not sit still long enough to be petted but she was a super friendly dog . The next one was also very active but afraid of his own shadow. I blame this on raising him in an apartment and not socializing him well enough. He got stage fright when we went outside and ended up going inside. He got better when I gave him to my mom though but he was not much of a loving dog or particularly loyal. The last one I have only seen when out at my moms house but she is again very active. She however, is super cuddly and wants to be in your lap at all times which is not very normal for the breed. all of them ranged from 15-30 lbs. Shelties also have a tendency for seizures and something you will want to research. 1-3 of ours had them and was ended up killing her in the end.

Of the 3 breeds, if you were going to choose one, the traditional collie would likely be best. while bigger at 60-70 lbs depending on gender, they don't have the same activeness as the other 2 and okay in smaller spaces. Your back yard should be big enough for them and if you walk them, its more than enough. The 3 we had we extremely loyal, loving and huge lap dogs if you let them be. They do have a tendency to bark a lot in my opinion. While this is opinion, I think they are the most beautiful of the 3 breeds but you will also get the look at Lassie comments, if they have sable/white markings.

I will say this, all 3 breeds are HORRIBLE chewers and will chew anything and everything until they mature. Shoes, electrical cables, cabinets, nothing is safe if left alone.

Sorry for the dissertation, hopefully this helps you in your decision making.

Thanks much, very helpful.

I would vote for full size collie over border or sheltie. My parents got one when I was very young. He followed me everywhere was not high stung and was very protective. I once got in trouble for something and ran out of the house to escape punishment. Mom caught me about 10 steps out the door and was giving me a few swats, the dog ran over and grabbed her arm. Needless to say I got the rest of the whipping inside!. Ranger lived to be 13 and was the best dog I ever had and that was 40 years ago.

Collies always remind me off John Wayne. Lol

That's the only black Collie I've ever seen.

We had very good experience with an American Cocker Spaniel. She was well behaved and trained to walk at my side perfectly. She had a similar temperament to the Golden Retrievers we've had.

I had a border collie for 10 years. Absolute BEST dog ever. Incredibly smart and protective of our family. The energy level is high until they are about 6-7 years old so if high energy is not your thing then I would not suggest one.

July 30 & 31 2010 200.jpg week of 5-10-12 152.jpg

Had dogs all of my life.. Big poodles, great danes, westies, welsh terriers, mutts, cockers ( dumbest animal I ever met) schnauzers....... Probably more I just cant remember right now...
Loved the danes, most magnificent loving protective dog ever... Smartest were the poodles.. My son used to bring over his "mothers" Giant standard poodle... Great dog, very smart and very loving... If you want a smaller dog these won't work for you..
My Westie "Rodman" was probably the best dog I have had... A great pal who went did everything with me.
Right now I have a Welsh Terrier who is a great pal, but the breed is a runner if it gets loose, so a fenced in Area is a must.... I have never had so much fun with a dog as my Welsh... He gets more attention ( if you like fuzzie dogs) than any dog I have ever had... Drinks beer with me at my watering hole, rides in the cart at Depot and lowes, and is a great traveler.... If I was a younger man this dog would get me laid daily... He is the ultimate chick magnet...
Did I say the cocker I had was the stupidest dog ever?? Gave her to my parents soon after my EX wife got her....
If your a cat person, well I cant say much good about that... I have been single for over 25 years and I will not date a woman who has cats....
Pic of
"Sir" Bentley attached...

DSCF0088.JPG DSCF0107 (1).JPG

Had dogs all of my life.. Big poodles, great danes, westies, welsh terriers, mutts, cockers ( dumbest animal I ever met) schnauzers....... Probably more I just cant remember right now...
Loved the danes, most magnificent loving protective dog ever... Smartest were the poodles.. My son used to bring over his "mothers" Giant standard poodle... Great dog, very smart and very loving... If you want a smaller dog these won't work for you..
My Westie "Rodman" was probably the best dog I have had... A great pal who went did everything with me.
Right now I have a Welsh Terrier who is a great pal, but the breed is a runner if it gets loose, so a fenced in Area is a must.... I have never had so much fun with a dog as my Welsh... He gets more attention ( if you like fuzzie dogs) than any dog I have ever had... Drinks beer with me at my watering hole, rides in the cart at Depot and lowes, and is a great traveler.... If I was a younger man this dog would get me laid daily... He is the ultimate chick magnet...
Did I say the cocker I had was the stupidest dog ever?? Gave her to my parents soon after my EX wife got her....
If your a cat person, well I cant say much good about that... I have been single for over 25 years and I will not date a woman who has cats....
Pic of
"Sir" Bentley attached...

View attachment 557270 View attachment 557271
How bout a picture of your 'vert.

Your comment reminded me of something my great uncle taught me...
"Never date a girl with a horse."
You'll always be second place and she'll always need cash to feed the bastard..

Dogs are pack animals. Interaction is ingrained in their DNA.
Get a pound dog, saves more than the life of the one you get. Make sure they have a "return policy". Give this a lot of thought before you get any dog from anywhere.
I've always had dogs in my life, and worked as a trainer for 4 years.

yep.

We're rescue people.

Auto Transport Service
Back