• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone live in/near Dayton, OH??

brogers93

Local time
12:02 AM
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm retiring from the military this summer and I've been offered a job near Dayton. I know little to nothing about that area...can anyone shed some light on quality of life, cost of living, activities, etc?? Thanks!

-Buddy

When I moved out of Dayton, in 1988 Dayton was twice the size of Tampa.

Now Tampa is more than twice the size of Dayton.

I'm a little more rural than Tampa, but cost of living is nearly identical (or it was for the better part of the last 27 years).

Was very, VERY difficult to find a job in Dayton.

Lots of unemployed/severely underemployed.

Lots of abandoned/boarded up buildings.

LOTS of history, though.

Lots of culture.

If you like air planes, Dayton is great. AF museum and (if they still have it), the Air Fair, which IIRC was everything the US sent to the Paris Air Show.

Lots of cool "woods" places (which I deeply miss) if you like running around in the woods. Jeep trails, bike trails, waterfalls, etc.

Basements +++++

Curbs +++++

Sidewalks +++++

Good public transportation (incl unique electric trolley buses)

I live 20 minutes south of Dayton (in Carlsle) there is plenty to do, car shows, cruise-ins & swap meets. The Air Force Museum, Kings Island in Mason (40 min. from Dayton), Kil-Kare Raceway in Xenia (20 min), Tri-State Dragway in Hamilton & Edgewater Raceway Park (both a little over an hour away from Dayton) Jegs & National Trail Raceway are within driving distance. Gas is usually below the national average, and depending on the neighborhood, houses/rent is reasonable. Dayton was home to the Wright Brothers and Charles Kettering

The Air Force Museum is finishing a fourth building, so several days to see all there.

Guys,
I'm retiring from the military this summer and I've been offered a job near Dayton. I know little to nothing about that area...can anyone shed some light on quality of life, cost of living, activities, etc?? Thanks!

-Buddy

Hi Buddy,
I spent 12 years at Wright-Patterson AFB 1982 through 1994
In my opinion, Dayton is a GREAT "Small City" to live in.
A lot of Blue Collar, small companies.

Also, Wright-Patt is "Base one" OR the Mother Land as far as Air Force bases
It is industrial and High tech, also big business.
It was home to National Cash Register
IBM is there
Premiere Health
LexisNexix
Navistar International
Honda (Marysville)

So, yes I miss Dayton, especially the people.
weather wise, you are in the Ohio Valley
Some times you will see the infamous "Gray skies"
Also, Tornados due frequent the area.
Kind of Mild winters, a few blizzards here and there.
On the corners of I-70 and I-75
EVERYTHING is CLOSE!

Don't forget, Ohio struggled during the late 80s through 2005 but under Mike Kasich as a Governor Dayton re-invented itself
Essentially everyone worked for Auto workers, Delco, Harrison, Chrysler (Inland)
Delco became DelPhi
Remember: "It's greatin Dayton"

Stationed there myself from 1994-1998. At the time I was crewing on C-141-B's with the 445th Reserve Wing located there. It was a very nice experience although a tad too depressed for me at that time. As for AF things to do? It wasn't mentioned that over on the Main Base, I believe Annex A or B it is as I have forgotten which, right smack in the middle of the air strip is the former Huffman Prairie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_Prairie...where the Wright Brothers began their flight quest. Really interesting to see if you enjoy aviation history. And of course all the already mentioned AF places to see. If you are a Golfer, there are some really excellent places to play throughout the Dayton Area. My favorite was the Fuzzy Zeller course over in Beaver Creek and the Base has 2 very nice tracts as well. Then farther East towards Columbus and within Columbus itself are some excellent tracts as well. And do not forget the MOPAR Nats held each year. So a lot to do and see and you still have other places to travel to as you are not far from Indiana Kentucky West Virginia, etc. Baseball is also very big with the short drive to Cincinnati and the Reds....I lived in Fairborne which WPAFB is located in, off the Dayton/Old Yellow Springs road and was very comfortable with the costs of living, etc. But my place has always been here in Northern CA so I am staying put...cr8crshr/Tuck

Guys, thanks for all the info!! Richard Cranium...good article...guys I'll stay out of the hotels there!

Been to the air museum twice and plan on going again this year. Gas is almost always cheaper in Ohio than Indiana. Be prepared for wonky unpredictable weather each year.

Auto Transport Service
Back