• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running these wheels on 71-74?

carcrazyguy

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
Not normally a fan of the "larger" wheel on classic cars. However walking Pate Swap Meet this weekend I saw these wheels (Boyds). I like the vintage style with the argent look centers. Thought the color might look decent with my B5 chrome bumper car?

Attachments

• Pate Swap Meet April 2012 Saturday 019.jpg
    Pate Swap Meet April 2012 Saturday 019.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 837
  • 71ChargerB5trunkLid.jpg
    71ChargerB5trunkLid.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 740
They're not bad, but the only wheels I considered for my '74 were Magnums and Rallyes. Went with the latter. You just can't go wrong with the classic shoes on our rides.

Attachments

• IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 773
I think they would look good on one.. Im hoping to get all new rims and tires myself next summer and although i have a couple in mind, im not ruling out the rally's for my Satellite. They look good on Pabsters Charger and its a bit different body style then mine, but i could see the rally's on it.. The Chargers of the 71-74 seem to have a sleeker body style as compared to the Satellites or Road Runners, My humble opinion but to me they do.. If your not happy with them then they wont never look good though... Mine are classic wheels i guess, but there getting rough and ive even thought about the steel wheels (I have already) with the chrome lugs, i like them. Its hard to pick a wheel with so many out there! lol.
Picture2001120Medium20Custom.gif

I am looking into going with a decent 4 wheel disc set up that will require a wheel larger than 15 inch. I was torn on using the brake kit because I had not seen a wheel that I thought fit the look I was after. I think the polished lip would match the bumpers, chrome mirrors and vinyl top trim. Then the argent centers compliment the vintage design. Almost Cragar SS look with modern twist. I never liked the Cragars due to, way to much chrome and rounded spokes. The Boyd's wheels have some sharp edges that compliment the sharp edges on the 71.

Here is a shot of my 72 Road Runner with 17" American Racing Torque Thrust. I think they really set the car off. It also has the like the gun metal gray centers with the polished lips.

Attachments

• 72 Road Runner.jpg
    72 Road Runner.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 936
  • Blue Car.jpg
    Blue Car.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 654
  • 72 Road Runner front.jpg
    72 Road Runner front.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 636
Carcrazy - I bet those would look really good, especially with your paint color! Here's a few shots of my '71 GTX with 17x8's. Even though I agree that muscle cars usually look better or "right" with 15's, the right oversize wheels can definitely work. I found choosing a tire with enough sidewall is the biggest factor...for example, 40 series 17" tires typically leave a pretty big gap in the wheel well.

Attachments

• IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 569
GTXplicity, that is an AMAZING ride. RRGTX72, yours as well. Those 71-72s are so stupendously bad ***. Gotta get me one!

Auto Transport Service
Back