• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use a Ron Francis harness?

I don't think many kits come with a completely terminated taillight or headlight harness except for the resto ones like those from MH or perhaps another source. The RF kit surely doesn't but that was to be expected. The express kit has plenty of circuits for about anything you could want but the fuse box is on the large side and you have to terminate all of the circuits/harness (like most kits). None of this is an issue for me, I have all of the equipment to do this having wired a number of cars but again, my issues are more with the items I mentioned. The RF kit is fine and it is a well made system to be sure, but there are many ways to wire a vehicle and there are some things about this kit I just don't like.

One thing (albeit small) that somewhat pissed me off is the documentation provided. RF does not supply the normal booklet you find with other systems, rather they have individual sheets; one is a general sheet/s that talks about locating the fuse box, the need for grounds, etc. and then each sub harness has its own instructions in the bag with the harness. All of this is good but the sheets are printed on something similar to legal size 8.5x14" sheets and the overall schematic is not done in the normal fashion. With all of my builds, I develop "build books" one of which is for the electrical system. This becomes a manual by the time I am done and contains all of the diagrams, schematics and information about everything electrical in the vehicle. The sheets that RF supplies are a bit inconvenient to be honest. I asked them if they had pdf versions that I could possibly manipulate and they told me that I was free to copy and resize the sheets as I saw fit. When they were trying to sell me the harness they were very communicative, after I bought it not so much.

Let me be clear, I am not disparaging RF or its products, just saying I am not "over the moon" happy with them.

I just finished a complete rewire of my 71 Charger with the American Autowire harness that is specific to the car. You do have to convert to a single-wire alternator but their docs and quality are excellent. Buy a quality crimper.

Yeah I looked at their harness pretty hard, I just didn't want to spent $900 for it.

I agree on the crimpers, I have like 5 different ones and tend to use them all during a job.

After reading through this and looking at the options for a 62 Dart, which are zero, I'm thinking the AAW Rt9 is a good option for me.
The next one up isn't much more $, but just comes with a bunch of GM stuff I don't need.

I figure worst case scenario, I couldn't buy/accumulate all of the wire it comes with, and a fuse box, for less than the $299 price tag.

https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/route-9-universal-wiring-system

Auto Transport Service
Back