• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use the Glyptal paint inside an engine?

I was just thinking about all the comments, and the point of view.
Hope everyone gets to feeling better. You have had to spend WAY to much time in hospitals.

It's been a while but the last one with painted internals we did was for a stock car. But, I can't recall what it was done with. We were running 4500-6100 for 25 laps. It certainly didn't hurt having the smooth finish and it was very easy to clean. I looked at the engine recently and it's still holding on and it was done 30 years ago.

I'm sick of hospitals. Gloria got her breathing tube removed yesterday, she has been in ICU for the last week, so Medical bills will likely kill any car stuff for awhile. Have Insurance, but still have to pay the max out of pocket. Probably spent $50,000 in medical bills over the last 3 years.
At least, haven't been going to alot of funerals. Sucks getting old.

:(
I was just thinking about all the comments, and the point of view.

I'm sick of hospitals. Gloria got her breathing tube removed yesterday, she has been in ICU for the last week, so Medical bills will likely kill any car stuff for awhile. Have Insurance, but still have to pay the max out of pocket. Probably spent $50,000 in medical bills over the last 3 years.
At least, haven't been going to alot of funerals. Sucks getting old.
That's really ruff. I was hoping Gloria was back home. Hopefully you all will be very soon.

At least you have several projects that need attention probably as much as money. Unfortunately, it's hard to get much done with no parts.

Hope Gloria doing better!!!!!

Read about oil return to pan in I think an article " Hoover Talks Hemi's". He stated about oil during a race "1qt.of oil in the filter, 1qt. in the system a, 1qt under each valve cover and about 1qt spread other places. You end up with 4/5 qt's in the pan. The object is to get the oil back to the pan as quickly as possible. The Glyptal leaves a smooth surface promoting oil back to the pan. Hoover didn't mention Glyptal but the idea is to aid oil return.

Seems from the different points of view, those building engines for racing or concerned about oil return, and ease of maintenance on an engine that is worked on often think the coating is worth the extra expense, and those building lower maintenance more street/strip engines don't think it is worth the expense, hassle or concern about chipping/peeling?
I can see where it makes sense when having an engine that often runs at high RPM, the oil return factors in along with ease of maintenance on that type of engine.
I can also see where on a mild lower reving engine the oil return might not be a big concern, and usually a milider engine requires less maintenance too.

Has anyone here also coated their windage tray with glyptal?

Some of the answers here are interesting.

Some are worried about the expense dropping $50 clams on a can of paint after spending 000s on parts and a machine shop. :lol: Others are concerned it will come off.

The simple answer is that it works, it keeps things clean, assists in oil flow, makes it easy to spot issues, prevents rust in engines that sit a lot and yes, Ive used it in every engine I've built.

After hot tanking the block, a good valley/crankcase clean with acetone its a no brainer. It does NOT come off even after days in a hot tank.

So if you want to use it, paint away fellas ;)

Auto Transport Service
Back