• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone with a Jeep? Looking for the BEST Jeep Forum...

You can order large keg of blue def gets much cheaper when you get straight from suppliers at larger quantities!

It also has a shelf life and goes bad when open
From the BlueDEF cut sheet:
Storage temperature between 12º and 86º F are recommended to maintain optimal shelf life of up to two years.
I bought a 2½ gallon jug, so shelf life won't be an issue. Around $12 at Sam's

From the BlueDEF cut sheet:
Storage temperature between 12º and 86º F are recommended to maintain optimal shelf life of up to two years.
I bought a 2½ gallon jug, so shelf life won't be an issue. Around $12 at Sam's
That's about right, it's usually around $5.00 a gallon. I get it in bulk at the pump for $3.00. Keep track of how much DEF you use compared to diesel. If you notice that you're using more and more DEF, that means that your DPF filter is clogging and causing the vehicle to regen more often.

In the few seconds I had earlier today I did a web search for a weight distribution trailer hitch and found that forum.
May be exactly what I'm looking for in a Jeep forum. THANKS
This is what hers looks like:
View attachment 1119188

happy to help - that is a sharp truck! Best of luck with it, if I ever get one for myself maybe I’ll see you over on that forum too :thumbsup:

I actually drove it for the first time today...Rainy weather here, she's working nights, and asked me to make a diesel fill up trip on the way to Sam's for the DEF, and I had some groceries to get while I was there...
First impressions:
At 6'3" it's not hard for me to step up into the Gladiator, but one of the two things at the top of her wish list is a must. At 4'11" it's got to be difficult for her to climb in, and she's probably using the grab handles and steering wheel. So as I mentioned, some kind of step is needed.
Anyone have any experience with an automatic step rail? I think she believes it would be prone to mechanical or electronic failure, but I think something like that would be ideal if they hold up.
I really like the diesel sound, although quiet, there's "something" about that sound. It spent most of my short trip around 1400 RPMs, right in the sweet spot for torque, and just "regular" driving like I was doing, I really don't notice the 8 speed transmission.
I did have to pass a car doing 45 in a 55 (60 is what I usually drive on that road) and when I floored it quickly, I was actually taken by surprise in how powerful it was immediately upon flooring it, I let off a bit!
I synced her phone to the Bluetooth system and put a few contacts in, and programmed the visor mounted garage door opener. Not a bad ride, kinda hard to get used to the view over the hood, as there is a pretty big chunk of Jeep out front. The H2 had quite the "spacial relevance" curve when I first got it, like the compulsion to slow down at a toll booth. This isn't like that, and I actually like the ride height.
So overall a nice experience. I was surprised the DEF tank gauge read ¾ full, but it still took almost the whole 2½ gallon jug.
Keep track of how much DEF you use compared to diesel. If you notice that you're using more and more DEF, that means that your DPF filter is clogging and causing the vehicle to regen more often.
I will do that if I can track it. I am almost never going to drive it, and I'm not sure if that's going to happen if I can't figure out a way to do it myself.

I wouldn’t think that little 4 cylinder would use much DEF, the 6.7 in my truck only uses about 2 gallons in 6000 miles. Don’t really know if engine size has anything to do with the amount used, though.

I wouldn’t think that little 4 cylinder would use much DEF, the 6.7 in my truck only uses about 2 gallons in 6000 miles. Don’t really know if engine size has anything to do with the amount used, though.
Not a 4 cylinder, 3.0 litre V-6 diesel.
My wife drives pretty fast, 80 on the highway to and from work, and still saw 26 MPG average.

Those aren’t Jeep’s
This is a a Jeep
View attachment 1119221
How about this one? She's 42.
JeepForum.com is a good site.
photo.JPG

I like your/the Mrs Jeep biomedtechguy; been sorta considering one for my wife's daily. Would stay away from the electric retractable steps tho - troublesome even from the factory, can only imagine aftermarket issues. See what QuadraTec offers and go from there.
One thing tho... XJs rule!
28 - 95 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport.JPG

Not a 4 cylinder, 3.0 litre V-6 diesel.
My wife drives pretty fast, 80 on the highway to and from work, and still saw 26 MPG average.
We took our turbocharged 2.0 liter 4 cylinder out for a weekend cruise. It’s in a lightweight wrangler 2 door. It’ll also gap a v-8 mustang pretty quickly!

D39B9CE9-2F9E-4B48-8B45-30CCED032B07.jpeg

Warning - wall of text coming!

Congrats on the Ecodiesel - you're going to love it, but you have to treat it like a diesel...not a gasser. They hate short hops. If you can, run it on the highway every chance you get to clear its throat. Don't have to floor it or race it, but let it run at highway speeds for 10-15 miles. Forgive me if you've had diesels before, I'm just working on the assumption it's new to you :D Better safe than sorry!

I have just over 80k on my '14 Grand Cherokee ecodiesel and it's been awesome. Bought it brand new. Bone-stock. Not even a K&N. No exhaust changes. No programmer. Not even a boost gauge. Just. Leave. It. Alone. Lord knows, there's plenty of other stuff you can change on a Jeep...just leave the powertrain alone. It's worth it. Working in a Chrysler service department, we see Eco's with problems...if they've been modified. Or abused. Stock units? Do just fine. Leave it alone, maintain it properly, and enjoy the muted rattle and the fuel economy.

I change the oil every 10k like they say (make sure to use the right oil!). I fill the DEF once a year (literally). I put diesel in the tank when it needs it (my Grand averages - with a lead foot and a mountain commute - 24-26mpg in town and 32 driving from MD to FL for vacations), and air in the tires when they need it....and that's it, for 80k miles. DO NOT let anyone talk you into a transmission service - THE EIGHT SPEED IS FILL-FOR-LIFE. It amazed me how many customers let Jiffy Lube or Bob's Service Station talk them into a "60k mile transmission service"...and since nobody has books on how to change the fluid in the 8HP (because it's NOT a service procedure!), their transmissions always grenaded within a month. Warranty? Nope, so sorry, you shouldn't have poked it with a stick.

I haven't had any DEF "problems" or anything like that. The problems happen when people monkey with the systems, and try to water down the fluid to save money (I spend more on washer fluid than I do on DEF...). Do what it says, when it says, and you'll be fine. I think my once a year fillup runs me...like $17. Woo. Hoo.

If it goes into regen frequently (it'll tell you - "exhaust regeneration in progress, continue driving" will pop up on the dash), get it checked. Mine goes into regen every 6 months or so. Maybe. (It will do it more frequently, the more stop-and-go driving you do). For a while it was doing it every week - I had it checked, and my EGR cooler was leaking, causing the filters to gunk up. Warranty cooler (there's a recall now, I'm waiting to see if this one fails first - no sense replacing a brand new part!), and it's just fine.

Remember - diesels are different than gassers. (Again - forgive me if you already know this) Don't drive it to the corner store if there's another car available. Run it for 15-20 minutes whenever you drive it. Stop-and-go will fill the filters faster, but highway driving will clear them back out. Not even highway...just not stop-and-go. Let it idle 5-10 seconds before you turn it off (my Grand has air suspension; I idle it until the suspension settles to "enter/exit" height, and then I turn it off). Don't baby it when you do drive it, let it breathe. And remember - this is not a 6+ liter ISB Cummins. This is NOT a "power" diesel. This, is a fuel economy, LIGHT-duty diesel. That is one of the largest causes of issues with the Eco - people got them in their Ram 1500's, thought "I got me a diesel truck!"...and over-worked it till it popped. Not. A. Cummins. I hear the Eco is a decent puller, and the tow ratings back that up...but I've never towed with mine because I DO have a Cummins in the garage. Right tool for the job. You will use more DEF the harder you are working it though.

For DEF? Find a Flying-J or similar truck stop nearby that has DEF at the pump. $2 a gallon instead of $5, and no spoilage. Like I said - I fill my Grand Cherokee once a year. There's a website...findDEF.com, I think, that lets you search by ZIP code.

Congrats again! Looks like your wife is already enjoying it with the new decals...that's awesome. Have fun with it!

@Triplegreen500
Thanks for all the advice. The trip to work is around 50 minutes at 75-80 mph. The larger stores we go to are about 15 minutes away, and 55 mph.
I'll have to let her know to keep driving during exhaust regeneration.
Thanks for the advice.

Sorry I don’t have a link to this, might have her look up DuckDuckJeep. It’s a fun thing my wife is involved in. Started by Allison Parliment (real name) that raises money for charity. They’ll put a little rubber duck on a nice Jeep they see, a note attached says “You’ve been ducked” with the DuckDuckJeep contact info.

Father in law got a JT Rubicon eco diesel, has had it picked up twice for no start, he has all the parts for 4" and 40s if I remember right, but nervous about putting it on. Hope you have better luck with yours.

Warning - wall of text coming!

Congrats on the Ecodiesel - you're going to love it, but you have to treat it like a diesel...not a gasser. They hate short hops. If you can, run it on the highway every chance you get to clear its throat. Don't have to floor it or race it, but let it run at highway speeds for 10-15 miles. Forgive me if you've had diesels before, I'm just working on the assumption it's new to you :D Better safe than sorry!

I have just over 80k on my '14 Grand Cherokee ecodiesel and it's been awesome. Bought it brand new. Bone-stock. Not even a K&N. No exhaust changes. No programmer. Not even a boost gauge. Just. Leave. It. Alone. Lord knows, there's plenty of other stuff you can change on a Jeep...just leave the powertrain alone. It's worth it. Working in a Chrysler service department, we see Eco's with problems...if they've been modified. Or abused. Stock units? Do just fine. Leave it alone, maintain it properly, and enjoy the muted rattle and the fuel economy.

I change the oil every 10k like they say (make sure to use the right oil!). I fill the DEF once a year (literally). I put diesel in the tank when it needs it (my Grand averages - with a lead foot and a mountain commute - 24-26mpg in town and 32 driving from MD to FL for vacations), and air in the tires when they need it....and that's it, for 80k miles. DO NOT let anyone talk you into a transmission service - THE EIGHT SPEED IS FILL-FOR-LIFE. It amazed me how many customers let Jiffy Lube or Bob's Service Station talk them into a "60k mile transmission service"...and since nobody has books on how to change the fluid in the 8HP (because it's NOT a service procedure!), their transmissions always grenaded within a month. Warranty? Nope, so sorry, you shouldn't have poked it with a stick.

I haven't had any DEF "problems" or anything like that. The problems happen when people monkey with the systems, and try to water down the fluid to save money (I spend more on washer fluid than I do on DEF...). Do what it says, when it says, and you'll be fine. I think my once a year fillup runs me...like $17. Woo. Hoo.

If it goes into regen frequently (it'll tell you - "exhaust regeneration in progress, continue driving" will pop up on the dash), get it checked. Mine goes into regen every 6 months or so. Maybe. (It will do it more frequently, the more stop-and-go driving you do). For a while it was doing it every week - I had it checked, and my EGR cooler was leaking, causing the filters to gunk up. Warranty cooler (there's a recall now, I'm waiting to see if this one fails first - no sense replacing a brand new part!), and it's just fine.

Remember - diesels are different than gassers. (Again - forgive me if you already know this) Don't drive it to the corner store if there's another car available. Run it for 15-20 minutes whenever you drive it. Stop-and-go will fill the filters faster, but highway driving will clear them back out. Not even highway...just not stop-and-go. Let it idle 5-10 seconds before you turn it off (my Grand has air suspension; I idle it until the suspension settles to "enter/exit" height, and then I turn it off). Don't baby it when you do drive it, let it breathe. And remember - this is not a 6+ liter ISB Cummins. This is NOT a "power" diesel. This, is a fuel economy, LIGHT-duty diesel. That is one of the largest causes of issues with the Eco - people got them in their Ram 1500's, thought "I got me a diesel truck!"...and over-worked it till it popped. Not. A. Cummins. I hear the Eco is a decent puller, and the tow ratings back that up...but I've never towed with mine because I DO have a Cummins in the garage. Right tool for the job. You will use more DEF the harder you are working it though.

For DEF? Find a Flying-J or similar truck stop nearby that has DEF at the pump. $2 a gallon instead of $5, and no spoilage. Like I said - I fill my Grand Cherokee once a year. There's a website...findDEF.com, I think, that lets you search by ZIP code.

Congrats again! Looks like your wife is already enjoying it with the new decals...that's awesome. Have fun with it!
Pretty much everything that I told him, you just gave him the educated version. :lol:

I have a 16 Liter Cummins that drinks Def like a whino drinks Thunderbird.

Auto Transport Service
Back