• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Apocalypse Now Overrated?

padam

Local time
11:46 AM
Reaction score
Apocalypse Now Redux is currently on Netflix, and I have been watching it in bits over the last few weeks, as it is over 3 hours long. It got me to thinking: is this the most overrated war film ever made?

I have seen this movie (original and this version) probably a dozen times over the years. As a matter of fact, my father took me to see it in the theater when it was originally there. This was a thing he did that was uncharacteristic of my childhood, as my mother was very religious and would not let us go to R rated movies.

My father passed away on October 29th. He had a lot of war movies on VHS. One of them was the original "All Quiet on the Western Front." I told my son that it was probably the greatest war film ever made. My father told me he saw it in the early 50's and that he delayed enlisting because of it. (He did eventually enlist in the Air Force.) So in honor of my father's recent passing, we sat down and watched it. I still rate it as the greatest war film I've seen. I'm not too sure what my son thought, as he is not a big fan of the genre.

But back to Apocalypse Now and its flaws. SPOILER ALERT!

Plot holes, off the top of my head:

-If it was so tough to get into the Nung River (necessitating the costly assault by Kilgore’s Air Cav), why were there already other bases, patrol boats, and USO shows up there. Why not fly him up to the last outpost?

-When they meet the other patrol boats, you would think they would exchange info of some sort.

-In the attack where Clean gets killed, it looks like they are moving through some kind of communist family picnic, but no one is on alert.

-Once in Kurtz's camp, why didn't any of his people (especially Green Beret Colby) just waste Willard?

Technical issues, from a civilian with no military background, again off the top of my head:

-The one that jumps out at me most is again the scene where Clean gets killed. The rounds coming from the shore line are obviously some type of fireworks, they look like roman candles to me.

-The initial battle where they met the Air Cav, just does not seem realistic from the standpoint of how heavy the fighting was, as to how soon they were cooking steaks.

-When they stop the sampan, you would think with as many rounds they put into it, it would have sunk in about 10 seconds.

-The Redux version has some sillynous added, such as when Willard (a Captain) steals Kilgore's surfboard. Later he is smoking opium with the French woman.

The movie was visually stunning at the time it came out, and put on display many of the stereotypes we have of the Vietnam War. The soundtrack also adds to the effect. So as a film, it is entertaining.

But to contrast it with the understated reality of All Quiet on the Western Front, I do believe it is overrated.

All Queit.jpg
Apoxx.jpg

All I can tell you is that Apocalypse Now wasn't my best choice as a first date movie to take the now Wife to in 1979. She still asks "what were you thinking" ! lol

All I can tell you is that Apocalypse Now wasn't my best choice as a first date movie to take the now Wife to in 1979. She still asks "what were you thinking" ! lol
Something must have gone right that night.

it was fiction not the real deal it was for entertainment purposes Denise was portraying a real photographer Tom Page there are a lot of movies on or about Nam that are realistic watch them if you want a more realistic movie its all about entertainment sorry for the rant padam

it was fiction not the real deal it was for entertainment purposes Denise was portraying a real photographer Tom Page there are a lot of movies on or about Nam that are realistic watch them if you want a more realistic movie its all about entertainment sorry for the rant padam
Yes the entertainment value is high.

its like all war movies some very good and some terrible , look up all the movies
about Nam an read about and see witch are worth watching there are a lot some from they early days when only advisors were there To The Shores of Hell ,their were two ,Go Tell The Spartans ,84 Charlie Mopic and many more lets your fingers walk the keyboard :thumbsup:

Redux or original, they're both very weird. It was entertaining in a way. I agree there are better Vietnam movies. There are way more war movies that are better than Apocalypse Now. But there's already threads about that.

My dad took me to Apocalypse Now back in the late 70's and I couldn't wait for it to end. I thought it was a horrible movie.

5 of my cussins went, 1 in the seals , 1 pilot in air force ended up staying till retirement , 1 in marines , the other 2 were in infantry , they all came home , and adjusted to life after ok , drugs were there for sure . none of the boys got into them thank god

5 of my cussins went, 1 in the seals , 1 pilot in air force ended up staying till retirement , 1 in marines , the other 2 were in infantry , they all came home , and adjusted to life after ok , drugs were there for sure . none of the boys got into them thank god
If this statement were taken the wrong way it would be hilarious.

It's definitely entertaining, or else I wouldn't have watched it so many times.
I guess as I get older I am more critical of movies, and all culture in general.
I see more of the things like I listed, and especially plot holes bother me in movies.
Especially when they seem so easy to fix.

Apocalypse Now Redux is currently on Netflix, and I have been watching it in bits over the last few weeks, as it is over 3 hours long. It got me to thinking: is this the most overrated war film ever made?

I have seen this movie (original and this version) probably a dozen times over the years. As a matter of fact, my father took me to see it in the theater when it was originally there. This was a thing he did that was uncharacteristic of my childhood, as my mother was very religious and would not let us go to R rated movies.

My father passed away on October 29th. He had a lot of war movies on VHS. One of them was the original "All Quiet on the Western Front." I told my son that it was probably the greatest war film ever made. My father told me he saw it in the early 50's and that he delayed enlisting because of it. (He did eventually enlist in the Air Force.) So in honor of my father's recent passing, we sat down and watched it. I still rate it as the greatest war film I've seen. I'm not too sure what my son thought, as he is not a big fan of the genre.

But back to Apocalypse Now and its flaws. SPOILER ALERT!

Plot holes, off the top of my head:

-If it was so tough to get into the Nung River (necessitating the costly assault by Kilgore’s Air Cav), why were there already other bases, patrol boats, and USO shows up there. Why not fly him up to the last outpost?

-When they meet the other patrol boats, you would think they would exchange info of some sort.

-In the attack where Clean gets killed, it looks like they are moving through some kind of communist family picnic, but no one is on alert.

-Once in Kurtz's camp, why didn't any of his people (especially Green Beret Colby) just waste Willard?

Technical issues, from a civilian with no military background, again off the top of my head:

-The one that jumps out at me most is again the scene where Clean gets killed. The rounds coming from the shore line are obviously some type of fireworks, they look like roman candles to me.

-The initial battle where they met the Air Cav, just does not seem realistic from the standpoint of how heavy the fighting was, as to how soon they were cooking steaks.

-When they stop the sampan, you would think with as many rounds they put into it, it would have sunk in about 10 seconds.

-The Redux version has some sillynous added, such as when Willard (a Captain) steals Kilgore's surfboard. Later he is smoking opium with the French woman.

The movie was visually stunning at the time it came out, and put on display many of the stereotypes we have of the Vietnam War. The soundtrack also adds to the effect. So as a film, it is entertaining.

But to contrast it with the understated reality of All Quiet on the Western Front, I do believe it is overrated.

View attachment 1190193 View attachment 1190194

The premise of the story is:
(officially, taken from Joseph Conrads book "Heart of Darkness" I suggest you read it, good book.

But, many experts believe the True story is taken from Tony Poe
Interesting character
Iwo Jima or Guadal Canal (No, it's not a canal, Island off of Micronesia)
Tonuy Poe was a Navy Corpsman, Purple Heart recipient
After WWII he worked for the Gvt.
then CIA
In Nam he was given the Task of ensembling a 10,000 Hmong Army, in case of need
He would find So Vietnam soldiers that were actually NVA, and he would chop off their heads and ears and roll them off the helicopters in their villages
He later retired in the San Fran area
He passed away a while ago
Famous for many quotes
One being: Communisim is alive and well hiding in the American Unions....

More:
Anthony Alexander Poshepny (September 18, 1924 – June 27, 2003), known as Tony Poe, was a CIAParamilitary Operations Officer in what is now called Special Activities Division (renamed Special Activities Center in 2016).[1]
aramilitary Operations Officer in what is now called Special Activities Division (renamed Special Activities Center in 2016).[1] He is best known for his involvement in Laos with the Special Guerilla Units (SGUs) under the command of General Vang Pao, a U.S.-funded secret army in Laos during the Vietnam War and is often referenced as the model for Colonel Kurtz in the movie Apocalypse Now.[2][3]

OIP.DqTFeJbczhsj2Hr7TrI9YgHaJW.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

OIP.T7BfsYYuS5bzj2-Upk3FIgHaKn.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

The premise of the story is:
(officially, taken from Joseph Conrads book "Heart of Darkness" I suggest you read it, good book.

But, many experts believe the True story is taken from Tony Poe
Interesting character
Iwo Jima or Guadal Canal (No, it's not a canal, Island off of Micronesia)
Tonuy Poe was a Navy Corpsman, Purple Heart recipient
After WWII he worked for the Gvt.
then CIA
In Nam he was given the Task of ensembling a 10,000 Hmong Army, in case of need
He would find So Vietnam soldiers that were actually NVA, and he would chop off their heads and ears and roll them off the helicopters in their villages
He later retired in the San Fran area
He passed away a while ago
Famous for many quotes
One being: Communisim is alive and well hiding in the American Unions....

More:
Anthony Alexander Poshepny (September 18, 1924 – June 27, 2003), known as Tony Poe, was a CIAParamilitary Operations Officer in what is now called Special Activities Division (renamed Special Activities Center in 2016).[1]
aramilitary Operations Officer in what is now called Special Activities Division (renamed Special Activities Center in 2016).[1] He is best known for his involvement in Laos with the Special Guerilla Units (SGUs) under the command of General Vang Pao, a U.S.-funded secret army in Laos during the Vietnam War and is often referenced as the model for Colonel Kurtz in the movie Apocalypse Now.[2][3]

View attachment 1190336

View attachment 1190337

View attachment 1190338

View attachment 1190339

I have read "Heart of Darkness", but was not familiar with Tony Poe.

If you think apocalypse now is bad, you havent seen John Wayne in the green berets...

I think the only war movies/series that are realistic are both WW2. Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. Of those two, only band of bros doesn't really have plot holes. And they both don't glorify war in any way. Some parts are very difficult to watch.

Apocalypse now I like certain visuals like the B52 tail fin they pass on the way to Kurtz compound and the air cav assault. Sheen's journey into the heart of darkness is interesting but once he gets there, all the fat Brando parts at the end are a complete waste. Brando was completely miscast for that role.

Auto Transport Service
Back