• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are all 273 V8's the same?

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
So in another thread I talked about finding another 273 at a local junk yard that's going out of business. They said it came out of either a 66 or 67 Barracuda. I want it for a spare for my 65 Belvedere wagon 273. Are there any little differences in the motors that I should know about? Things like motor mount location, oil pan, oil pick up etc. I know my 65 Belvedere has it's little differences with later small blocks. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or is it a direct bolt in?

1964-65 had the weird angled intake manifold mounting bolts. All had solid lifters until 1967. Then they used hydraulic lifters in 1968-69 like normal LA engines. I THINK they went to cast cranks in 1968-69. There might be variations in the number of the motor mount ears side to side. Three or four on side or the other. It's been 30 or so years since I looked at one, I'm not sure anymore.

So in another thread I talked about finding another 273 at a local junk yard that's going out of business. They said it came out of either a 66 or 67 Barracuda. I want it for a spare for my 65 Belvedere wagon 273. Are there any little differences in the motors that I should know about? Things like motor mount location, oil pan, oil pick up etc. I know my 65 Belvedere has it's little differences with later small blocks. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or is it a direct bolt in?
1964-65 had the weird angled intake manifold mounting bolts. All had solid lifters until 1967. Then they used hydraulic lifters in 1968-69 like normal LA engines. I THINK they went to cast cranks in 1968-69. There might be variations in the number of the motor mount ears side to side. Three or four on side or the other. It's been 30 or so years since I looked at one, I'm not sure anymore.
Pretty much it. THere might be a difference in oil pans. I've never seen a B body 273 in person close enough to note the difference. Mopar had a few different block casting numbers and it would be interesting to see what changed. This all being said, like the different small blocks made, generally they are interchangeable with some minor modifications or adaptations. Something to consider, the crank registers for the early engines are different than the later ones and you might have to have a torque converter built for a combination you are running. There's always something changed along the way you may not know about. In a nutshell, they are not all plug and play between the years, models, and transmissions. Catch my drift?

Yes, thank you very much. I was just reading some online articles about 273s. I am going to check the casting date on the junkyard 273 to see what year it is.

Ok, update. Got a look at the numbers and pulled the valve cover off. Rockers are non adjustable. It's a 318. So false alarm. I do appreciate all the info. Now I know what to look for if the subject arises again in the future.

A 273 from a B body will not have the 90 degree oil filter adapter like the A body motors, the motor mounts are different, and there’s a chance that if it was from an A body from 65-67, it could be a Commando motor with the high domed pistons. I see it’s a 318, but this is for future reference.

Our 273 10.5:1 pistons #L2222-8. Still a popular seller for us and we have a couple reground, original profile solid lifter cam/lifter kits in stock.

#EggeMachine #EggePistons
Www.egge.com

20220629_164751.jpg

20220629_164800.jpg

20220629_164807.jpg

20220629_164822.jpg

Our 273 10.5:1 pistons #L2222-8. Still a popular seller for us and we have a couple reground, original profile solid lifter cam/lifter kits in stock.

#EggeMachine #EggePistons
Www.egge.com

View attachment 1307069

View attachment 1307070

View attachment 1307071

View attachment 1307072
Those are nice pieces. That's what I used in mine and have recommended them to dozens in these forums for their 273 builds. The machine shop was very impressed at the quality and consistency of these.

041900951351[00].jpg

Are all 273 V8's the same​

Yes, they all sucked equally:p

:rofl::rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back