• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing 675 Heads (273 V8)

ammachine390

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
I pulled the heads off my Satellite (1968 273 V8) and found 3 burned valves. Spoke to a machine shop and they wanted $1500 to do a valve job, replace the guides, install hardened seats, and resurface. With that price point I started looking for remanufactured heads.

The heads on my car have the casting number of 2843675.

I found this site that sells reman cylinder heads
Chrysler Cylinder Heads | Cylinder Heads
I called and they will install hardened seats for an additional $80.

They don't list the 273 V8, but they do have ones listed for the 318 V8 with the same 675 casting. Would these work? Do they have the same combustion chamber volume?

Is it safe to assume that if they are the same casting number they are identical?

Furthermore, if I am going to buy remanufactured heads anyway, should I upgrade from the 675 casting (if possible)? Would any of the other castings listed for the 318 be a better direct replacement on my 273? I've think I've read somewhere that the 302 casting heads is the best 318 heads, but again, I don't know what will directly bolt on my 273 engine.

I still run the original 2 barrel carburetor and original intake manifold. This car is only a weekend cruiser and not a performance machine. Though if I can get a little better performance out of it for the same cost, I'd be open to it. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

I haven't run small blocks in may years, but yes, the same casting number means the heads themselves are the same. If you want to keep the factory 2 barrel intake, those 318 heads you are looking at are exactly the same as what you have now (see list below).

Me personally I’d just let the local qualified machine shop redo them .. You may get a new set on line and still rework them. If yours aren’t cracked they are still worthy. Cost is cost if your not into high performance. I’ve dealt with on line places and I can’t stand the headaches . If your guy local is known and backs up his work it may offset the shipping and potential headaches .. Rebuilders can be very sloppy on tolerance and cheap.. so can a machine shop, so do your homework first. Good Luck.

Thad is in Falls City, NE they do most our machining and sends stuff all over the country.

Screenshot_20230721_084144_Chrome.jpg

273 and 318 heads will interchange but are not all the same. Let's see, 68 should have open chambers. Too bad you can't find a set of 920's with the closed chambers. Or better yet, a pair of #302 castings with closed chambers and hardened seats. Rockauto has reman's from time to time

Appreciate the feedback!

The site lists their process of what they do to their remanufactured heads.
Our Process & Equipment | Cylinder Heads

273 and 318 heads will interchange but are not all the same. Let's see, 68 should have open chambers. Too bad you can't find a set of 920's with the closed chambers. Or better yet, a pair of #302 castings with closed chambers and hardened seats. Rockauto has reman's from time to time
Mine have the open chambers. The site I posted lists having 302 castings for the same price. What exactly is the difference? CC volume? Will they affect the compression?

One of my concerns was if they all have the exhaust crossovers as I am still running the original choke setup.

Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back